Aaron Ramsey

:xhaka:

Correct decision imo. He won us two fa cups after all.

3 Likes

we are scraping the bottom of the barrel calling Ramsey a legend tbh.

8 Likes

I like Ramsey and heā€™s given us some good moments, but I think the term ā€œlegendā€ is thrown around too easily these days. Compared to everyone else on that board, heā€™s not fit to lace their boots!

2 Likes

Probably just a show of gratitude for 11 years of service to us

1 Like

Thatā€™s the longevity argument again, the argument that always annoys me about Ryan Giggs.

Best get Walcott and Jenks up there too.

2 Likes

Heā€™s scored late winners for us in two FA Cup Finals, that alone earns him a place in such a collage in light of the fact that not many have done anything of that level since the early to mid noughties.

Having him up there doesnā€™t mean heā€™s as good as Henry et al, it just recognises that heā€™s made the most obviously tangible contribution to club history in the last ten years.

12 Likes

He merits it for two FA cup winning goals tbh. Iā€™ll never forget his winner in 2014, up there with seeing us win the cup in 2002 and winning the league in 2004 at WHL (in terms of personal memories)

5 Likes

Iā€™d question Kanu being there more than Ramsey.

:xhaka2:

3 Likes

Just donā€™t personally call it the legends wall. Problem solved.

1 Like

Iā€™d argue Fabregas (and van Persie) made a bigger impact as players whilst here. But because Ramsey has something to show for it it gives him the nod above them on the ā€˜Legendā€™ - scale?

1 Like

Yeah

1 Like

Giroud has left a bigger impression on this club than RVP ever did. He should be on that display too if Ramsey is considered worthy.

Two brilliant game winning assists in two FA finals along with a goal in 2015 Final coupled that with his amazing goals and link up

2 Likes

Agreed.

Iā€™d be perfectly happy with Giroud and Ramsey being given equal status for their contributions to our FA Cup wins.

Well deserved they would be as well.

Fabregas and Van Persie can fuck off.

I have no problems with Ramsey being identified as an Arsenal legend.

Of course it makes sense having Ramsey on that display instead of the likes of van Persie and Fabregas. The pair only ever won one trophy during their time here, and that was during a time when Arsenal were in a successful spell and they were not really the focal point of the club at the time, despite their emegerance around then.

Ramsey is the guy who ended our long drought for a trophy and has also contributed and featured in more of our cup success in recent seasons.

The legends part can be debated as to who should be there, or should be called a legend, but I think itā€™s more aimed at showing off/celebrating the players who were successful for us in the different eras. Plus having Fabregas and van Persie on the wall, would probably invoke some outrage or something, given the way they departed.

3 Likes

Fabregas already has a picture outside Ken Friar Bridge no?

Saw 20 new posts thinking there was some news about him leaving. Typical OA :facepalm:

4 Likes

Yeah

You can argue that, but their impact isnā€™t as ā€œobviously tangibleā€ as scoring two late winners in an FA Cup Final, which is what I was saying.

If youā€™re looking for a figure from the last ten years for such a mural you tend to go with the one with an obviously tangible contribution to the clubs history (two clear contributions to our history from Ramsey).

It also doesnā€™t help that those two players went on to have more tangible and significant success with hated rivals of ours, so seeing their photo up there for many people elicits a feeling of sadness or bitterness, which isnā€™t exactly what the club are aiming for.

2 Likes