2022 World Cup

:goat:.

Unfuckingbelievable…the state of that sticker placement

7 Likes

Obviously never sacrificed his school dinner money on them. Fraud.

2 Likes

There is no end to them being utter cunts.

Philippe Auclair on Arsecast yesterday said that there are 160 extra flights a day going through Doha airport for the tournament with people travelling back to Dubai and other places post games.

Fucks sake. This tournament really is utter trash from every conceivable angle.

1 Like

The Socceroos released some clip on human rights etc in Qatar.

Tbh it’s all just a gimmick, if countries really wanted to make a stand they just wouldn’t attend the World Cup in the country.

So in my opinion given they’re all attending, they should just get on with playing football.

7 Likes

Exactly.

If you’re so keen on a boycott, don’t go and play.

9 Likes

Everything that has happened, is happening and will happen was as predictable as it could possibly be for anyone who knew a thing about Qatar.

Peoples ire should be firs red at the people who took money in envelopes to let this tournament go ahead and the regulatory bodies that allowed state owned takeover of clubs and have facilitated sports washing for years.

5 Likes

No team has said this though.

It is a bit like talking out both sides of your mouth but I don’t genuinely expect footballers to turn down a World Cup place. Expect perhaps Bellerin might if he was at the level to be involved.

If you say it and don’t act on it though you are just wanting those sweet internet points.

If you don’t plan on pulling out don’t say anything

5 Likes

Nah I’m happy to see this tournament get any and all criticism, I don’t care if people think it’s hypocritical or tokenistic. Literally anything that criticises and runs down this shit show is fine by me.

2 Likes

Yeah I think that is a good point and it’s why some teams have said they won’t boycott. They want to draw attention to what is happening there.

A boycott would only really work if all the big teams agreed to do it. That’s obviously not going to happen. A small team like Australia boycotting the tournament now does nothing for the greater cause.

1 Like

Shots fired @Aussiegooner :wink:

Fair point really tbh, we’re in the bottom 5 teams in the tournament. I can’t really debate that reality.

Need an 06 style performance from Australia

Team we have now just doesn’t have the talent of that 06 team mate. That 06 team for us was kind of a golden generation, most of our starting players played in Europes top 5 leagues.

1 Like

Personally I think it’s a terrible cop out. Just don’t play. It’s not about virtue signalling from a player, it’s about their own individual actual opinion on what matters. Just don’t play. You kick a ball around for fun, that is your profession. Just don’t do it there. If you do you fucking suck. Straight up, you don’t need it, you are not forced, you have the power make a stand and you don’t and it’s 100% purely out of selfish reasons.

And if you decide to go there and play any way just own up to it. Say yea it’s shit but it’s the world cup we don’t care about politics here or something. When you say yeah I really don’t like that I’m about to go there voluntarily and play a game for fun for weeks yeah considering all the moral complications, then you can just fuck right off lol :sweat_smile:

It isn’t about that you either overthrow FIFA and destroy the competition thoroughly or nothing you do matters. You just need to take responsibility for your own individual actions and there is zero hindrance for you to do so. You don’t need to draw attention to shit, there has been enough attention drawn to this by journalists for years, everyone knows, nothing new of significance will be revealed in a month.

I think you’re letting the players off the hook too easily here :slight_smile:

7 Likes

That’s not why people should boycott things. There’s really no need to tie an individual boycott to a greater cause either.

It should just be an individual conscious decision based on your morals, if similar minded people feel the same then great.

As a player, if you have an issue with WC being in Qatar don’t go, that simple. Otherwise, the superficial gestures are pointless virtue signaling

4 Likes

And what are you doing that means you’re not letting them off the hook?

I’ll be interested to know how many here will boycott the World Cup and not watch any of it.

I am not accepting their excuses.

I am not playing, the tournament wasn’t built for me, I am not paying to watch it but it’s not me who is in a position to do something that actually makes a difference here. In my opinion the players are in the driver’s seat to make that difference with no real sacrifices except their own selfish glory hunt and I think they just need to on an individual basis stop being so fucking complacent to shit that is wrong, hiding behind stupid excuses.

That’s why I’m pointing out that they’re not contracted to do anything, not that it matters to me if it were their job since they’re all millionaires, but it isn’t even their job. It is perfectly optional. They’re playing a game with a ball.

I care far less if people watch or not (especially if you’re not paying for it), but it’s a nice gesture I guess if you don’t (I see the point), however the burden on taking action on this is not on viewers. It’s on millionaires kicking a ball around for fun. My team is to shit to attend this WC, but if they had attended they wouldn’t represent me in any way, if they refused to go they would actually represent me and make me proud though.

1 Like

Strong disagree.

1 Like