2022 World Cup

To miss out on that and also I’m guessing spend the time in England surrounded by its-coming-home merchants during the English version of it too, how terrible for you.

5 Likes

:joy:

Well to be fair it was very cool being in London for the run England had. There was such a buzz and festive vibe that was awesome to experience too, it was just a shame the football was so fucking boring and the behaviour of the fans at the semi-final that let it down. Otherwise it was nice being here for that.

Although you are right about the coming-home merchants, especially the pundits, by god that got boring quickly.

1 Like

As a bit of a hybrid of being born in Wales, brought up in England, and living in Canada, here’s where I’m at.

The Wales qualification reigns supreme for me. I’ll watch England with not much passion, but the players are more familiar to me. Football in Canada, in general, and although the Canadian team also qualified for the WC, doesn’t really stir me up.

COME ON WALES!

1 Like

Not a bad few weeks for Hrustic, wins the EL with Eintracht Frankfurt and tonight scores the winner vs UAE for the Socceroos.

2 Likes

@Aussiegooner up early for Australia v Peru?

How is Qatar allowed to host this match anyway? Thought it was too hot for football at this time of the year?

I’ll be stunned if we manage to qualify with the side we have.

It’s not on UK TV, but stats have it looking pretty even so far?

Yeah relatively even at the minute.

Can watch it on the bbc sportswebsite if you want.

1 Like

You don’t sound that fussed :sweat_smile:

I absolutely want Australia to win and I’m up in the early hours watching.

I do have greater passion for Arsenal and club football though @Phoebica

1 Like

Can’t get used to this Peru kit.

I’m worried about this world cup and it’s affect on players physically.

Kasper Schmeichel has played 65 games and Hojbjerg has played 59 games this season. Those are insane numbers. Our coach came out to say that tonight’s game was just about fielding a starting XI that still have enough left in the tank to play a game and he’s rotated massively and sent a load of players home.

That said, Hojbjerg has played almost 5,000 minutes for club and country this season and he’s still going strong tonight. The guy has an absolutely world class engine on him.

I think we’re going to see a lot of injured players next season and those 5 subs per game will become imperative to use every single game for the club managers as well as national team managers.

6 Likes

Agree completely.

The other crazy part is that while some players (especially those who play in Europe for their clubs and are going to the World Cup) will be completely jaded and run down, most PL players will have played less to begin with (teams not in Europe) and then get a month and a half break in the middle of the season. I’m sure they’ll be training with their clubs for much of that time and maybe play a few friendlies to keep up match sharpness but its almost like a summer break in terms of the ability to rest, heal, and strengthen.

2 Likes

Haaland and Salah big recipients on this.

3 Likes

Yup.

It was a nice story but I really wish Partey’s Ghana hadn’t qualified for the tournament.

2 Likes

0 shots on target in 78 mins, sums up international football.

Too many teams of this caliber in tournaments because of expansion and it’s ordinary football on offer.

1 Like

Dreadful? :sweat_smile:

I’m surprised @Aussiegooner hasn’t gone back to bed

1 Like

I know you love your sport @Phoebica but you aren’t watching this over love island are you? :joy: