Virgil van Dijk

Not been many great defenders in the last decade.

1 Like

One thing about that stat is that it excluded any time he had been dribbled past but then fouled the player.

2 Likes

In that case, what a totally fraudulent stat lol

6 Likes

Another thing about that stat is in the same time frame David Luiz had only been dribbled past like 2-3 times too lol

Always found it to be a meaningless statistic because CBs arenā€™t often targeted or isolated in situations where theyā€™re routinely at risk of being dribbled past

4 Likes

I think a better stat for VVD is since he has joined Liverpool and in the years he was healthy, theyā€™ve made 3 CL finals winning 1 and 3 90 + point seasons winning a title.

The year he got hurt they got around 70 points and lost in the quarters.

3 Likes

Letā€™s be honest he was an unreal defender for 2 years and still pretty fucking good lol.

Meanwhile at arsenal Iā€™ve heard Saliba touted as a top 5 CB in the league after 3 games which included an OG.

3 Likes

Thats not really a stat, just a brief summary of his Liverpool career lol.

2 Likes

Other than Van Dijk and Saliba (this discussion), who are the top CBs in this league?
Ruben Dias?

Name the 5 better than the baby :fr: :goat: or :saliba:

4 Likes

VVd
White
Dias

Bit stuck now fella bit fucked as well

Not even trying to argue if White should be ahead of Salibaā€¦

You can only mention 3 and suggesting Saliba being 4th or 5th (top 5 CBs) is not something outrageous at all.

Jesus mate u taking it a bit serious :rofl: when Iā€™m sober Iā€™ll see if I can pad my top 5 dw

Point was that VVD ainā€™t some scrub and opinions are formed fast

5 Likes

Spends more time complaining and blaming others these days than actually defending.

1 Like

PEDs are no longer workingā€¦the come down is making him twitchy.

2 Likes

Yep. His peak level was high but heā€™s so far off that level now.

I rate him at his peak but itā€™s clear as day he never had great fundamentals as a defender. Heā€™s struggled to adjust to losing a yard of pace. No shame in that but definitely not one of the greatest ever like he was being touted as at own point.

1 Like

Turned shit by Jordan Pickford :stuck_out_tongue:

Couldā€™ve been if he kept it up for more than 2 seasons, now he wonā€™t even be in the top 10.

This could be recency bias but I would take VvD over Vidic but the gap isnā€™t as big as he is stating. Vidic was the best center back in the league throughout the 00ā€™s and early 10ā€™s

Not sure what Carra is smoking on his second tweet tho. VvD was never the second best player in the league.

Some of the stuff I see from him these days is truly comedy, defensive IQ looks shot.

Itā€™s not just a physical drop off, his decision making and composure looks so below par this season.

Liverpool need to replace him, itā€™s that spooky
now. Hopefully they keep rolling him out for a few more seasons at the least

He is past his prime for sure

May he long stay at Lolpool