Virgil van Dijk

If you watch the goal again. TAA stops running and should be closer to Sancho. Reacts too late.
Its modern day defending or lack of instinct.

3 Likes

Absolutely, TAA had a howler. Take away his distribution and heā€™s a bang average defender.

3 Likes

:finland:

Virgil is looking very human this season.

He is declining for sure

Injury hastened his decline, isnā€™t quite the same player.

Doesnā€™t help that heā€™s been playing with Gomez but heā€™s been suspect for a while now

Heā€™s really not been that bad, heā€™s the only one remotely holding that defence together and it looks to me like Trent has gone full on holiday mode while VVD is missing matip.

Robertson seems alright but also not quite the same level as usual.

1 Like

Joe Gomez - is more of the problem .

Look at Varane performances last season ā€¦ itā€™s clear guys like Maguire/Lindelof were making him look worse than he is ā€¦just not up to the job.

2 Likes

Heā€™s definitely not holding it together, heā€™s been way off it

Even in the CL final he was at fault

1 Like

All my Liverpool mates are just going on about how dross Gomez is, I havenā€™t watched enough of Liverpool this season to really have a judgement regarding VVD.

Gomez has regressed heavily and you can see why heā€™s now last on the depth chart, however, the individual errors leading to goals or scoring opportunities from VVD are mounting and hard to deny.

Had a good 18 season stretch but heā€™s been making lazy defensive errors for a while now. People are picking it up on it because heā€™s physically spent now but his defensive slackness has been an issue for a while

Couldnā€™t believe there were people who put him up as one of the greatest defenders ever because he had a really good 18 months for Liverpool lol

1 Like

Think there was some big Liverpool related twitter account which claimed he was the best defender to have ever played the game :joy:

I was listening to the 606 radio phone in show a month or so ago and there was a guy on there strongly arguing that VVD was the best defender in the world ever because apparently itā€™s harder to be a defender nowadays and they have to do more!

Though the fans havenā€™t given up, they are still insisting that at his peak he was best

2 Likes

He never had a level of invincibility. He used to struggle in Europe at times and often got away with his lazy positioning through sheet physicality.

Heā€™s shit now because his body canā€™t make up for what his mind canā€™t do.

Quite possible Laurie hasnā€™t seen much quality CBs at their peak

2 Likes

He was a top defender, one of the best in the world until Pickford decided to fuck him up. Same with Gomez, he would have been a very decent defender, but then did his ACLs. Modern sports science can work miracles, but very rarely do footballers go back to a 100% after a serious reconstructive surgery.

1 Like

I donā€™t see how 2 good seasons can make you the :goat:. Top defender, but longevity is key.

Yeah, alright mate, tell me one other guy with the record VVD had in regard to not being dribbled past?

1 Like

Most Italian defenders throughout the 70s 80s and 90s

4 Likes