The Other Premier League Fixtures Thread (old)

Great for the title race, but really frustrating we missed our chance to reduce the gap by a 1/3. Now that Chelsea have finally been stopped, this might encourage the rest of the league.

Heck of a top 6 battle though!

2 Likes
1 Like

Well said.
We may suffer a lot more from Spudā€™s win than a Chelsea win.
On paper we ā€œgainedā€ one point, but the race will be more tighter.

I hate Chelsea on a level with Spurs, so Iā€™m happy with this result. Nice to see them lose after that streak idgaf

3 Likes

4th place will get a record number of points this season( for 4th place), Im thinking around 75.

Looking like the 6th best right now tbh, Coquelinā€™s injury for me is a blessing though.

People say any one of the top 6 are a threat to us, and while that is true, I believe weā€™re more of a threat to ourselves in every sense of the word. Iā€™ve made my peace with our aspirations this season, would thoroughly love to finish above them (spurs) but it wouldnā€™t haunt my soul too much if we didnā€™t finish top 4 for once.

Love the lads, will support them and take any positives I can from our displays but thatā€™s about it in my eyes.

4 Likes

Iā€™m feeling quite similar, especially this: ā€œIā€™ve made my peace with our aspirations this season, would thoroughly love to finish above them (spurs) but it wouldnā€™t haunt my soul too much if we didnā€™t finish top 4 for once.ā€

I think the Man City game was the tipping point for me. I felt just disgust and so much disappointment. In the days after I started to come to terms with our level, because itsā€™ clear that isnā€™t changing any time soon. In past years when our squad was weaker it seemed like we just needed better players, but I donā€™t think thatā€™s the case anymore, this is just it with our current manager. I canā€™t bring myself to hate Wenger either for who he is right now and the circumstances in which he and the club have come to this juncture, but at the same time I canā€™t get that excited or invested in the team anymore. Thereā€™s a limit. I still love this club and will follow it as much as I possibly can, but a layer of psychological and emotional insulation seems to have formed. I really wonā€™t be that fussed if we missed top 4, but yes finish above Spurs I really, really want to continue, itsā€™ just too funny.

2 Likes

Remember that Tottenham are bigger bottlers than us. I am not gonna trust them until the last day of the season. They were even capable of losing a 5-point lead on us in just 3 game last season :arteta:

My first North London Derby was the first 5-2 at the Emirates. If you recall, that was the start of their epic downfall from some 13 points above us. I will never lose confidence in Spursā€™ ability to do worse than us, Forever in our shadow.

The Spurs defence is absolutely rock solid this year so it will be interesting to see if they do implode.

They have more games than us, theyā€™ll probably go quite far in the Europa League and we all know how much they donā€™t enjoy playing on a Thursday followed by Sunday. Iā€™m still confident of finishing above them.

1 Like

Happy enough with this result, I find cheering for a Tottenham win sickening, but Iā€™m quite proud of the record we hold as it belongs to a truly great era for our club. We canā€™t be having The Invincibles being compared to a team that has David Luiz as one of its defenders.

6 Likes

It was predominantly the 2001-2002 team that holds the record your talking about not the invincibleā€™s but I agree. We do hold the record for most consecutive wins, longest league unbeaten run & Scoring in most consecutive league games. All 3 of those records are something to be very proud of.

1 Like

Fuck David Luiz.

2 Likes

Poch is good. He took a bag of shite and turned it into a bag of shite that plays a bit better football. Tactically quite modern.

2 Likes

:joy::joy::joy::joy:

2 Likes

Fair play to Pochettino for matching Chelski up with the formation

Thought Spuds played well and the Chavs looked like all the talk of this record had got to them

1 Like

I doubt it. That record means nothing really. They just had a poor game.

1 Like

Means nothing? 14 straight wins is pretty impressive and there had been a lot of talk about it leading up to this game

I cant believe for one minute that the players had not thought about it

1 Like