Riyad Mahrez

So what’s the point? Did he or did he not say that Arsenal should already have bought “someone like Janssen” in case they don’t harpoon Moby Dick? He didn’t say they should get somebody like that if they can’t get a top striker. He said they already should have done it. My argument is that had they already bought such a striker they wouldn’t be looking for another one. So they should wait until they know they’re not getting Lacazette or somebody such as that before settling.

I don’t know anything about this guy Spurs have signed. If people who have watched him can tell already that he’ll never be good enough to be first choice for a title winning side, like a lot of us could with Welbeck when we signed him, then he too wouldn’t count as a serious attempt to address the issue. If he is a genuinely promising youngster then that would count as an attempt to address the issue in my eyes.

Which is one of my biggest criticisms of Wenger. I can understand not being able to get a WC striker, what’s not really forgivable is a manager famed for unearthing gems not signing a truly promising young striker in donkeys years. There’s still waiting and risk involved with that, the player might not reach their potential and become the top class striker you had hoped. But at least it would be an attempt to sort the situation out, the taking of a proactive step. Instead Wenger does nothing and we get several seasons of Giroud, Walcott and Welbeck, none of whom ever have been or ever will be good to be the big cheese up front for a title chasing side.

1 Like

I didn’t have you down for a troll until now. There’s no other explanation.

3 Likes

He may turn out to be a very good player. But he’s a gamble. The only thing we really know about him is that he scored a lot of goals for AZ. But Jozy Altidore scored the same amount in his last season there before going to Sunderland. We all know how that worked out. If he becomes great, more power to him. But two years ago he was playing in the Dutch second division. I’d rather have somebody more proven.

You’re the one who doesn’t seem to understand your own words. Arsenal would already have had to have bought somebody like that for them to be “already on the books.” So is that what you meant or not?

1 Like

Cuellar right now

8 Likes

(Not arguing here, just realizing something): It is noteworthy that in the last 10 years I don’t think we have purchased a single striker who one could say was “proven” goalscorer ready to take the Prem by storm. At a stretch, maybe Podolski.

Giroud perhaps also but he was just coming into his own in French league and that certainly is a few levels below. He really only had one prolific year before coming to Arsenal.

RVP was not proven yet… Adebayor and the rest… none of them. Frankly, not even Titi really qualified. Only Bergkamp, and it is arguable how you characterize him and he was signed pre-AW.

Impressive or depressing reading depending on how you look at it.

1 Like

LOL Kaner’s arguments are a hilarious attempt at a defence of the club, they would have merit if it was a salary cap based competition were every club had equal opportunity.

@ljungbergkamp he’s easily forgotten, but I’d say Suker is the most proven goalscorer we’ve signed in my lifetime

3 Likes

Banned on the Old OA. Think he tried making a new account but it never lasted. Gone but not forgotten.

Riyad Mahrez is fast. Just an update guys.

I’ll stretch your point further, Davor Suker aside Wenger has never signed such a player. Even then he was hardly likely to take the premier by storm given his age when he signed.

I can’t remember who it was on the old forum but someone was once putting the point of view across that Wenger actually doesn’t value a truly world class striker…but if one falls into his lap hes ok with that.

Edit: I see @JakeyBoy has got there before me. I perhaps should read the whole thread before responding :slight_smile:

1 Like

Eduardo da silva was nothing if he wasn’t a proven goal scorer

Nwankwo Kanu was a certified goal scorer even though he also had lots more in his locker too

Nicolas anelka was a goal scorer although I guess it’s a stretch to call him proven before we signed him

You’re kidding aren’t you? Eduardo Da Silva does not fit the “proven goal scorer” label because he’d never played in a major European league.

Calling Kanu a goal scorer is one of the worst things I’ve ever heard on this forum. Just check up his goal record.

And a 17/18 year old Anelka lol

2 Likes

He has a prolific gaol scoring record in every league he’s played in and at international level, Eduardo was nothing other than a goal scorer

Kanu was a bit of a stretch but he was a top quality striker when we signed him and deffo knew where the goal was

And I already said anelka was a stretch but he digitally was a goal scorer from the first season we signed him

Sylvan Wiltord was top scorer in France before we dined him, so was Giroud

Basically it’s bullshit that we get dosent value goal scorers

Should the club be counting itself as part of the 99%, or should this club consider itself part of the 1% - part of the elite of Europe? after all, isn’t having the ability to be part of the 1% the whole point of having a brand new world class stadium? if we wanted to be part of the 99% we should have stayed at Highbury.

2 FA cups in the past 3 years is great, no doubt, but last seasons second place finish is not anything to boast about when you factor in the spectacular failure of the other big clubs and Tottenham’s collapse.

Regardless of all of that, what other clubs do or don’t do, and what other clubs and fans wish they had should be no concern for this club and it’s fans.

The bottom line, we are not most clubs :slight_smile:

Of all the players you mentioned they only broke 20 goals in a season a combined total of four times (prior to joining Arsenal at least). Two of those being Giroud and one of his being in liege 2. Basically I’m not convinced.

Wenger has absolutely never signed a World Class striker. Thats just a fact. And i think my previous comment is correct, Suker aside hes never signed a proven goalscorer.

Edit: I don’t really care how we get our goalscorers tbh but as our luck seems to have run out in terms of them being in the squad already i think we need to change tact.

1 Like

Well this is football forum so contrast and comparison with other clubs is inevitable. There’s no harm in it really and it isn’t some great sin to discuss it.

But still there no disputing the fact that Arsenal fans will have more good moments in a season than most other supporters, this is an objective fact. We’ll win most of our match, will always be at the top end of the league, we’ll always be linked to big names and we’ll go far in most cup competitions.

Although when I say this it doesn’t mean you should be accepting of Arsenal’s current situation just because we have it better than most. This is a football club, consistent success should always be demanded and our primary objective. I suspect after Wenger leaves Arsenal fans will learn a few lessons, should be a very interesting period tbh

1 Like

It goes without saying that we compare ourselves to other clubs, but which clubs do we compare ourselves with? ofc we discuss all of this, otherwise there’s little point in any of us being here. what i don’t agree with is the statement that we should count ourselves lucky because of 2 FA cups and a 2nd place finish and discount all the failure of the other 9 years where we had great chances to win more trophies if only the manager had been a little more proactive. plus last seasons second place finish doesn’t count for much, if we had battled and earned our way to that second place finish it would have meant a hell of allot more than being gifted it by Tottenham.

Those good moments are more and more being overshadowed by the bad moments i’m afraid. especially when they are unexpected and bad performances.

I have zero doubt that everyone of us expects better from the club simply because of who we are, and knowing what the team/manager are capable of when things go right.

As for the uncertainty and life after Wenger, you may well be right which is all the more important we get the right man in. i think Klopp was that man.

The way I see it you have to take the good with the bad in football. It’s natural that they’ll be more bad moments than good especially in the prem where it’s hard to see any team establishing consistent dominance and midtable club buying quality players.

I don’t think we’ve missed out on Klopp tbh. Certain aspects of his management are very similar to Wenger and are a ultimately unviable over a long period of time. A club like Liverpool is his level tbh.

I would prefer a manager that sets out his side in a more tactical manner with emphasis on defensive shape and structure.

1 Like

Wiltord?
the 2nd Signing of King Henry?

1 Like