Pre-Season 2016/17

In my defense I bring up Sanogo from time to time too.

1 Like

The thing is we could very well see a good deal of Coquelin/Ramsey this season. Given our injury record it’s pretty probable we will, tbh.

The negativity gets out of control for sure, but so do the reactions to it. I said last season that this was the worst I’d felt as an Arsenal supporter since I began following the club as a little boy in mid 90s, and I think I can/did give some pretty compelling reasons for why that was/is the case. Right now it’s pretty understandable to be negative as an Arsenal supporter.

There’s no denying this could be a good team with the right additions, but it’s been that way for a good bit now, tbh. What’s changed is my faith in Wenger to make those additions/ compensate for the lack of additions by educating players/finding ‘moneyball’ talent/through all the things that go under the vague umbrella of ‘managing’. And I don’t think anyone can fault me, nor am I in a position to fault anyone, who doesn’t have that faith.

As we stand now, losing Mertesacker + gaining Xhaka + possibly regaining Cazorla (depending on fitness) + competition getting much more difficult tactically, doesn’t really have me that confident we’re going to be seeing much better football than last season. Which was of course an awful standard for a big club like Arsenal.

1 Like

[quote=“AbouCuellar, post:193, topic:284, full:true”]
The thing is we could very well see a good deal of Coquelin/Ramsey this season. Given our injury record it’s pretty probable we will, tbh. [/quote]

I really don’t think we will. After the Coq/Ramsey midifeld played significant roles in our back to back losses to United and Swansea last spring, Wenger never started them together again. It was always Elneny paired with one of them. I think the only way we see Coq/Ramsey starting a meaningful match together is if Xhaka, Elneny, and Santi are all hurt at the same time. Could it happen? Sure. But even with our injury record I would not worry too much about it.

I think its perfectly understandable why some people are negative right now. Even my relative optimism is completely reliant on us making two more good signings, which is a big ask given the realities of being managed by Wenger. At this point, I just want the season to start and the window to close, so that we can get on with it and see what happens!

1 Like

Fair enough, though tbh ElNeny-Ramsey isn’t a big upgrade on Coq-Ramsey. And we’ll certainly see that midfield if Wenger resists using the Coq-Ramsey one.

A couple of days ago you were telling me that Arsenal had a “pretty decent” injury record last year.

Indeed:

Actually the point here is similar to the one I already made here: http://onlinearsenal.com/t/summer-2016-transfers-thread/310/285?u=aboucuellar (ie, let’s plan around something that is clearly endemic/systematic)

Can’t wait to see how we replace Cazorla next summer if his achilles proves to be too much of an issue or we can’t/don’t renew his contract (1 of 5 players in the last year of their contracts, Koscielny, Mertesacker, Gnabry & Sanogo the others).

I’m pretty sure that Kos is under contract until 2019. It seems to be one of those cases where there is a lot of misinformation on the Internet as sites like Transfermarkt assumed he signed a three year contract in 2014 (when it was really five years) and never corrected the mistake.

1 Like

How were you right about all those players?

Did you correctly predict that Gnabry would have injury problems and his career would stall to the point that he couldn’t get a game for a middling/lower PL side? Did you predict that Hayden would have a few loans and get sold to the Championship? What did you predict about Akpom?

Genuine questions as it sounds like you were right about loads of stuff but I can’t remember any of what you said.

I’d like to know from @AbouCuellar in which games Joel has failed to impress, so we can discuss him.

Said Akpom wouldn’t make it, said Gnabry would (he might not now, but from an academy player, without injuries getting in the way, you’d have to say I judged him right), said Bellerín would, said Hayden was the best of the bunch in defence on that 12/13 academy side (without going farther than that, but yeah, Robin_L used to give me a lot of crap for that, and then Hayden was consequently called up to the first team and looked pretty decent when he played, before his injury).

Hayden basically never played for us. Two League Cup appearances is his total according to wkipedia,

1 Like

So essentially the only thing you got entirely right was that the wonderkid we poached from Barca turned out to be a solid talent.

How you don’t work in the industry is beyond me man.

3 Likes

Because of injury. He would’ve got games in 13/14 with our CB crisis if he wasn’t hurt. Arsène was talking him up then. Anyways, point is, I was right in identifying him as a decent talent, and that he was the best of the bunch in defence at that point. Never said he’d have an Arsenal career. [quote=“Castiel, post:205, topic:284, full:true”]
So essentially the only thing you got entirely right was that the wonderkid we poached from Barca turned out to be a solid talent.

How you don’t work in the industry is beyond me man.
[/quote]

Personal trolls gonna personal troll.

I’m not a scouter nor did I ever desire to be one. Just like following the youths. We can start talking about record of judging first team players and we can talk about Fellaini, Schneiderlin, that ST who used to play for QPR whose name I can’t even remember who you thought I was being arrogant when I laughed at the idea of signing him, Sissoko, etc. :wink:

1 Like

By your own standards? :smiley:

que?

What crisis? Mertesacker played like 35 games in the Premier League during that season and Koscielny 32. During Koscielny abscenes’ we still had Vermaelen to start.

1 Like

Remy?

Nah, I mean he’d still be better than Giroud for us but I’m not sure.

Austin I think it was.The English Shane Long.