Lucas Perez (Transfer complete)

There’s a massive jump from Griezman to Perez, although for Wenger the price tag is what he looks for first in a player.
There is no way Wenger was ever going to pay what it takes to get Griezman, it’s laughable to suggest anything different.

Vardy and Perez at around 20m are Wenger’s limit in terms of money and ambition, and that’s the sort of player we are going to get.

The fact he says about “super quality” and only buying players better than what we have are a pack of lies.

4 Likes

http://www.barcaforum.com/showthread.php/13851-Lucas-Pérez

Barca seemed genuinely interested.

Still wish we would sign a superstar.

1 Like

#Arsenal are hoping to beat Everton to the £17m signing of Deportivo La Coruna striker Lucas Perez Martinez.

Everton had identified the 27-year-old, who scored 17 goals in La Liga last season, to provide support for Romelu Lukaku.

The Toffees were closing in on a deal - but Arsenal have now declared a late interest in the striker known as Lucas.

Everton are still hopeful of a deal but reports in Spain suggest Arsenal are strong favourites to sign the player.

It would be a disappointment for Everton manager Ronald Koeman and director of football Steve Walsh, who is a long-time admirer of the Spaniard.

Everton have also been linked with Napoli’s Manolo Gabbiadini.

Wenger is looking to make a breakthrough in the transfer market and insisted he was not reluctant to spend after being criticised by Arsenal fans during and after the goalless draw at Premier League champions Leicester City on Saturday.

Koeman, meanwhile, is determined bring in another striker as support and competition for Lukaku, who had been strongly linked with a return to former club Chelsea but has now decided to stay at Everton.

Everton have an offer on the table for Sunderland’s unsettled central defender Lamine Kone which has so far been rejected by Black Cats’ boss David Moyes, while Koeman also wants to sign a goalkeeper.

The possibility of Joe Hart arriving on loan from Manchester City is being complicated by the possible £7m cost of a potential season-long loan, with Hart on a reported £135,000-a-week and a loan fee also being involved.

Only 6 days to get the deal done. Do we know it?

If the AST are to believed, then a transfer like this makes sense. If you can only go big on one more player, then a CB makes more sense.

Such a desperate move. I had faith up until this rumour.

1 Like

Never saw him play or even heard of him before yesterday. 17 league goals isn’t exactly anything to get excited about.

Unfair to judge him though since I’ve never spent the time watching him but I can’t help but think his greatest attribute as a striker will be his low release clause.

1 Like

[quote=“Castiel, post:68, topic:570, full:true”]but I can’t help but think his greatest attribute as a striker will be his low release clause.
[/quote]

That makes the whole difference for our manager. Sadly.

Would rather have gone big for someone like Griezmann and cheaper out on a CB (Schar).

Again, it would be down to a player like Griezmann to come here, and in the current form we’re in, I’m not so sure the worldies have super high hopes for winning stuff here.

Never heard of this chap though. If he has any influence like Eduardo had, then I’m cool with it!

Pretty much agree with this… we aren’t competing for title - those that say we were 2nd last year and “close” are fooling themselves. In a 1/10 year we still finished 10 points back with the worst points return in 5 years. Spurs were mathematically in the title race longer than we were. This year we have a massively resurgent Utd and a Pep City. We need a striker and this checks the box - hopefully he will surprise us and be a revelation, but certainly the treadmill continues - feels like we really haven’t added any WC this summer, which means we still need a LOT next year.

Dont really know anything about this guy but at the price thats been banded about he fits in with our cheap and cheerful pricing

He’s different to Giroud , which is what we need ! Fackin Pessimism before he’s even kicked a ball for us :roll_eyes:

2 Likes

That striker was Griezman

Reading up about this guy he really does sound like the Spanish Jaime Vardy - late bloomer, played in lower leagues, one breakthrough year by breaking a record for consecutive goals scored, cheap RC.

Obviously our fans will be much more amendable to this because he’s got that fancy foreign new car smell…

This is bullshit, I’m not saying he is bad, but no way is he the super quality that Wenger always goes on about, Wenger only wants this guy because of how cheap he is.

What’s worse is the whole no one is available bollocks, it’s just insulting. In football Money talks, with the exception of maybe Messi or Ronaldo, there isn’t anyone who isn’t for sale, everyone and everything in football is for sale, We have the money, we just don’t want to spend it, simple as!

1 Like

At the start of this transfer window I was hoping for a world class striker like Aubameyang.
Then expectations were lowered a bit when we were linked with Morata.
Then realised we weren’t in for world class so I settled on a younger striker coming in that was still just acceptable in Lacazette.
But if anyone had told me that we would end up with a striker that cost about 17m, I wouldn’t have believed it.

If we do get Perez it will leave any supporter in no doubt our level of ambition is only fourth place.

I can guarantee we wouldn’t have even made this signing if it weren’t for the fact that Welbeck is injured.

What is Wenger’s problem with buying world class players?

1 Like

They cost money.

1 Like

People put way to much weight on the cost of a player.

3 Likes

I’m sure most of us would have been jazzed had we got Ibrahimovic for nothing.

2 Likes

Wenger promised us “super quality.”
He has a record of buying cheap rather than top quality.
We have had Giroud since we sold RVP.
He has never bought a world class striker, that was ready to play at the highest level.
Every transfer window is the same, with underwhelming signings part from Ozil and Sanchez, who fell in his lap.
We only bought a GK last season.
He’s waited until the end of this window to buy a striker, even though he knew we needed one for several seasons.

I can’t imagine why supporters would be pessimistic about any of his transfer dealings.

3 Likes