Lucas Perez (Transfer complete)

It’s not how much they cost per-se that matters. The cost is symbolic of the class of player you are buying.

You don’t need me to tell you that :ozil2:

From a Celta fan who watches La Liga:

Man, Lucas Pérez is just too good. And this is coming from a supporter of the long-term rival of Deportivo, but Lucas Pérez has to be the starting striker in the Spanish National team. He’s just too good.

It’s just a shame how he wasted half of his professional career in Ukraine and Greece. Sure he get paid a lot, but it’s crazy how has evolved, nowadays is one hell of a player. Miles better than the actual Pedro, Negredo, Soldado, Jackson Martínez and even Benzema or Alcácer. Well actually, it’s arguably one of the best players of La Liga, and with any doubt, the revelation of it. Actually, it’s only his 2nd year in a competent league and well… he scored two goals in a EL qualifyers with PAOK, then went to Deportivo and… boum, this year exploded.

The last season, Lucas was seen as a winger, CAM or any position in the pitch, but to away from the goal. Actually, it didn’t looked that he could manage to be a prolific goalscorer, because he was the typical “fast, electric” player that doesn’t seems to be really good in netting the ball. But then again, this season he was proven as a CF, near the net. It seemed strange at first but Deportivo drawed 5 games thanks to his goals (and against Valencia, Sevilla, Atlético de Madrid, Athletic Club and Levante, four teams that are just too superior), and ed our arse in the Galician Derby ( you Lucas) and netting.

So, fastly his some kinda Griezmann. He’s very similar actually; he’s a CF, but he surely can play in both sides of the pitch, and as CAM (it’s more likeably to play as a CAM than as a winger nowadays); but anyways, he cover a lot of space. He likes to go to the midfield and play, fall to both sides of the field… he’s very, very complete and talented. He’s fast, and his strong points are that he’s constantly moving, that he nets easily, and that he can combine easily also. It’s a joy to watching play, also because he has a lot of blood in his vains.

Also, he’s a very, very clever guy. He’s the typical player that would cause a fail in the center back and steal the ball to net, or something like that. Not really really technical wizard, he’s more a runner (he could destroy everything in Premier), and a playmaker.

Just look at Deportivo. The past season were absolutely ****, and this Season are in EL places. I mean, Lucas companion’s are just mediocre at his best in attacking, some of them even doesn’t have a minimum level. Deportivo has (except 2-3 players besides Lucas) a full squad that it’s capable to be at 15th place at his best. He’s just a hidden gem out there. Don’t think it twice.

ucas Pérez is born in Coruña, it’s a Deportivo de la Coruña supporter and loves his team and City. He’s the star and idol of his team and a future captain. I don’t really know if he’s a money seeker or a “loving club man”, so I can’t really speak if he will leave Deportivo. I doubt that he leaves in January, but he might depart this summer to a bigger team. He seems really confortable in his city, but you never know…

Comparing him to Nolito, Lucas appears in a lot more of sites that Nolo, he’s faster, more physical. Maybe he’s less “pure talented” than Nolito, and does more simple goals and dribbles, but Lucas is more playmaker and less goaler/assister and appears more outside the box or in really dangerous areas.

It hurts my heart to say this, because I hope that Lucas Pérez car breaks before every match so he can’t play with Depor (and I’m being soft), but he’s one hell of a player. It’s difficult to compare Nolito to him, Nolito is a more “zonal” player, and Lucas (like Aguero, i.e.) it’s more a player that likes to cover all the pitch and do everything. That said, and talking only about football… I wouldn’t be mad if Celta had Lucas instead Nolito, but the market value of Nolito is higher than Lucas one. (Now erase this last phrase or I won’t enter in Balaidos again lol).

Think that Nolito plays in a Europa League Squad that it’s currently qualified 4th, meanwhile Lucas plays in a 12th-16th squad that it’s currently in Europa League sites. Ask Swansea about the last player that they bought in a similar situation…

7 Likes

Looks like we are facing competition from Albion as well.

Thought the same when I saw some youtube videos in style of play too.

Feel like people are rather sceptic about his one…

If you were happy with Vardy then you will be happy with this guy. Stop being dicks and give him a chance.

7 Likes

Bit of a difference between 24 goals in the EPL guiding a team to the title and 17 in La Liga.

We already have one scrub who can manage just about over 15 and it isn’t doing much for us.

1 Like

It is funny how we are competing with the likes of Everton and WBA for players these days rather than Utd, Chelsea and City. How times have changed.

5 Likes

Stopped reading at Benzema.

2 Likes

Giroud’s 16 plus Lucas’ 17 equals 33 goals, which is just as good as having a word less striker.

Wenger has worked his magic once again if we pull this off.

1 Like

As my compatriot mentioned, Lucas played in a very poor team with very limited quality. His partner upfront was Luis Alberto who never manage to make it into Liverpool’s team and failed in all his previous loan spells in Spain.

Deportivo just merely sustained by Lucas, when he stopped scoring in the second half they almost went down to second division.

He is not a World Class striker like Luis Suarez or Robert Lewandowski, but he is great and he’ll prove it. Don’t let the price tag fool you.

As Ive said b4 we are looking to replace Danny Welbeck not sign a Top striker . He ticks every Box or rather the only box . Hes cheap but will have zero sell on value . I know fuck all about him .

Haha I’ve legitimately read that by some people without the tint of satire. Christ Arsenal fans are simple at times.

I think people have a right to be concerned with this one tbh, it’s certainly no more than a budget move but Wenger knows Arsenal fans are pretty sheepish and will get swept away with the prospect of having a new toy to play with.

Two positions you don’t scrimp on are ST and Goalkeeper. I’d have no problem with us exploiting foreign clauses for CB’s or even utility midfielders but christ this is a little unambitious, even Vardy at the very least was a proven winner.

1 Like

I hope he does well here if he signs and continues to grow since it seems he’s a late bloomer so their trajectory is difficult to predict.

However, one thing that this signing will confirm for sure is that the whole spiel about moving to the Emirates would enable us to become in the words of the board a "European Super Club” and compete with ANYONE in the market for top players was bollocks from the off.

When Wenger finally goes he’ll be up there with Houdini as one of the greatest magicians the world ever saw.

1 Like

Even Charlie Austin managed to get 18 goals. @AbouCuellar

I don’t get the whole notion of proven winner. What makes someone a proven winner? Vardy has one major trophy to his name his entire 10 years as a professional footballer which is certainly less than Giroud, Welbeck, Walcott and Sanchez (our other striking options). So I don’t really get the idea that he’s a proven winner if I’m honest.

Being a winner is far more about an individuals mentality than it is about their trophy count.

6 Likes

Which is my point exactly.

If you compare Vardy and Giroud’s trophy cabinet sure Giroud will have more. Who has the better mentality though, Giroud a man who will happily go two months without scoring or Vardy someone who scored his 11th goal at Old Trafford of all places with the pressure on him.

Someone like Giroud doesn’t have the capacity to win titles for his team, due to both ability and mentality. Vardy does therefore I consider him a winner with a winners mentality.

1 Like

It does also make it easier when you get plenty of penalties to up your numbers. Honestly, looking at the last couple of years i’m not even sure the 25-30+ goals a season striker for the PL title idea even holds up these days.

True but Vardy only ended up taking them because Mahrez missed a couple I believe, you still have to score them. I can’t recall but no doubt Vardy won a fair few of the ones he took.

Given the fact we are an absolute shambles with penalties I wouldn’t mind having a player dedicated to taking - and scoring theo ffs - penalties.

Maybe it doesn’t hold up, but at the risk of sounding like captain obvious, it sure makes it easier :slight_smile:

Am sorry but this smells like a panic buy. Wenger has failed to do the one thing that he absolutely had to do at the end of last season and now is settling for this guy. He isn’t world class but might offer something else and so we should give him a chance before writing him off but that’s only because everyone deserves a chance, including Sanogo.

And as for the price of the player and getting hung up about that, well, I can understand signing a young, unknown player from a lesser league for cheap and him turning out to be gold (Asano for instance). This isn’t the case here. This is a 27-28 year old, playing for a mid table team in the Liga, who has had other mid table clubs from other leagues interested in him and who has never been picked for his national side. I don’t think the price lies in this case. Let’s not kid ourselves, we all know what we are getting, it’s not what we needed, but I guess that’s the best we can expect from this manager.

Well, clubs like United, Chelsea have gone to another level, while the likes of Everton, Southampton, WBA have raised their level, but we have stood still and so this is the price we pay for it.

3 Likes