Darren Burgess

Sacking the fitness guy is random as fuck

3 Likes

Well that’s one way to view it. Another way to view it is that there might be factors beyond just Emery that contributed to the awful end to the season.

Emery is here to stay apparently, so I’d hope we’re looking at other figures and assessing whether these people should be replaced or kept, rather than just assuming everything starts and ends with the head coach.

Whether Emery did a good a good job is one issue. Whether other members of staff did a good job is a seperate issue, and both need to be examined closely.

4 Likes

It’s better than the let’s pretend there is absolutely nothing whatsoever wrong game that Wenger played every summer.

It’s up to Raul and Vinai to figure out when it’s time to blame Emery.

8 Likes

I have no issue assessing other departments, that’s all well and good. However, I’ve seen enough to conclude this guy isn’t good enough and not up to the task.

Burgess isn’t to blame for what Emery did concerning the Palace game or why our away form was absolute dog shit. Indeed, Emery has form for away form fuckery.

We can make such changes and I’d encourage them but ultimately when the coach isnt up to it it’ll amount to little.

1 Like

Who?

The gentleman that’s responsible for all our misfortune :wink:

Oh, well. I’m glad that’s all sorted.

Amirite?!? @Kroenkeoutplease

2 Likes

Which is great, but it doesn’t matter what we think.

I’m not here to defend him, my posts about him post Final have been very negative.

I just don’t think assessing other roles at the club equates to “let’s blame everyone other than Emery”, I think what it is is sensible and long overdue.

Just funny to me that the guy that the bucks stops with is the one supposedly leading an inquest as to why the team folded as it did.

Anyways, let’s see how it shakes out. Maybe we sign a new head of performance then go on to win the league :joy:

1 Like

I would have thought we suffered less soft tissue injuries as a team in the season just gone ? Compared to any other season we’ve had in recent memory ? I find it strange Burgess is the fall guy.

Not to point out the obvious but it’s one tweet based off one article and there is clearly emotive language being used in it. Who says he lead anything in reality?

I do think that everything stands or falls with the technical director/sporting director, or what ever you want to call it, and head coach positions. If those aren’t filled in properly it doesn’t really matter who the ‘director of high performance’ is.

2 Likes

That’s why I said it’s funny to me, I’m not being entirely serious here old chap.

1 Like

Haha fair enough. That really wasn’t obvious so i applaud your subtlety :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think it still does matter who fills certain roles. If the people filling those roles are totally incompetent, then getting someone in who isn’t will clearly be an improvement.

How much of an improvement? I come down on your side there, not a huge improvement. I agree with what’s most important, and it isn’t head of high performance. I didn’t know we fucking had one til now

Tbf to Emery, our players did look shot in the latter games. Could be really that Burgess took the piss lately. Look at Pep in the City doc, there was a match where they were piss poor and Pep told them their warm-up was shit, I guess as a reasoning for that.
Emery clearly favours fit players to run their ass off so I guess it checks out. Hopefully they can bring someone in who can satisfy that.

Seems as if they’re promoting from within again. Shad Forsythe being the beneficiary this time.

Will see. I doubt they’re gonna get rid of someone for no reason.
It could be another ‘Correlation does not imply causation’ case. Media putting 2+2 linking Emery’s quest to find what went wrong just to make news.

Tbf there has been something iffy about our players fitness for some time. Everyone keeps on saying how can a highly trained athlete be tired so easily and look so fucking sluggish when another club like crystal palace has probably played just as much as us barring maybe a few games in europe but play like theyre 5x fitter than us and even players that sat out still looked ‘jaded’! We have been saying for wuite a while maybe it is because they are just lazy or have attitude problems maybe it is more than just that, whatever it is something isnt right within the club with fitness and being able to stay fit!