Arsène Wenger

If we don’t sign anymore players or we sign sub standard ones and we don’t do anything this season Ozil and Sanchez will be off. Think we have problems buying players now.

1 Like

9 PL clubs have broken their transfer record this summer soon to be 10 if Saints seal their move for Boufal. Which makes sense right? Since this will likely be one of if not the most competitive PL seasons to date.

Meanwhile over here bargain hunting for strikers since the departure of RVP continues. Palace, Liverpool, Everton and Spuds have all spent more than us on striker acquisitions in recent years, West Ham have been active in the market willing to spend up to £30mil. I really don’t want to hear about money or budget being the issue, indecisiveness, lack of a well thought out plan and general sense of ambition is the problem.

This will continue until Wenger has truly been jettisoned from the club.

4 Likes

Where is that defender though? Or Mustafi is happening?

2 Likes

This will continue until Wenger, Kroenke and Gazidas has truly been jettisoned from the club.

1 Like

It must be more than that.
We spent very little in the last window, part from 10m on Cech and then about 6m on Elneny.

If we are that skint we could easily sell Walcot, Giroud or Chamberlain to fund it.
If we bought a world class striker, Walcott wouldn’t get a look in anyway, especially when Welbeck is fit.

Very little evidence to suggest he wouldn’t be backed going for more expensive players considering the power he holds in the club, however, there’s a great deal of evidence that it’s his “principles” and misplaced arrogance that stops him spending more.

Dont believe that for a second. These people along with Wenger have managed to build a stadium and maintain top 4 throughout with minimal spending.

Doubt many people in football could do that.

They are smart and tight fisted with money. That’s their only issue.

So, Mustafi and Perez. If both happen would you be happy?

2 Likes

That tweet is Ornstein agreeing with a deleted tweet by @geoffarsenal that Wenger can spend £75m on a CF if it’s the right player.

1 Like

Only possible 3 that might be out there that might be able to get are Griezmann, Benzema and Lewandowski and it is not as simple as just having the money for them the club might not want to let them leave especially if they cant get a replacement and they have to be willing to come which might be a hard sell unless they want a new challenge, and CHALLENGE is the right word…but if we get a player like that they would also think that they could be the missing link for glory but is that enough for them to move from where they love and are comfy.

The only one that fits that description is Lewandowski but maybe he looking at bigger clubs like RM and also maybe he has too long on his contract for Bayern to play, plus they will likely want a replacement to which they might not be able to get a suitable one because WC strikers are in very very short supply.

That Ornstein tweet has kind of stumped me.

Yes

We start each season with ambitions of challenging in the league, going to the quarters or beyond in the CL (We start each summer transfer window with high hopes of signing the big players in the areas that we desperately need). We have a stead start to the season and then things start to look up as we put a string of good results together and climb up the league table (we make an early signing in Xhaka, which lifts our hopes of other key areas being addressed, we are being linked to exciting players like Vardy, Lacazette, Mahrez), but then the Christmas period comes and we start to lose a few games, lose a bit of momentum, but we are still in all competitions (Vardy rejects Arsenal, we lose another CB to injury but are still being linked to exciting players like Lacazette and Mahrez). We pick up a few injuries and drop a few more points and by February - March, we are out of the title race, out of CL and out of the cups (time goes on and we continue to be linked with players but nothing happens and before you know it, the transfer window is into it’s last month and suddenly we are getting desperate). Now the only thing left to play for is the top 4 cup (the transfer window is closing in a week and the best we can hope for is some panic buys). We huff and puff and somehow manage to secure a top 4 finish on the final day of the season (we finally make a couple of signings on deadline day, that might just be enough to get us another top 4 finish). At the end of the season, when we look back, we had high ambitions but ended up with another top 4 finish, would you be happy?

Still have to see how the second performs. If he joins he has high expectations to live up to and it has to be seen if he can fulfill them.

Why?

Doesn’t take much to make you happy then lol.

Fair play lads.

Exactly lol, I don’t understand how people can berate Wenger all season then applaud him for doing something incredibly Wengerish that will probably be the reason our perpetual mediocrity continues.

This just isn’t good enough.

1 Like

I’m not gonna applaud him. At this point I’ve excepted we will not buy the top tier players like all the rest. I just want the gaps filled and fingers crossed it works, that’s the least he should do. If not I ride it out till things change. Admittedly I might be gone before that happens

If it was just them two then no, it’d still be a very disappointing summer in my eyes. Whilst an improvement on our current squad depth and options, these two signings would not be game changing in any way.

1 Like