Arsène Wenger

Exactly.

Nit picking.

1 Like

I think Piers Morgan says it best. Wenger is an an analogue manager in a digital world. i can’t stand Piers Morgan and think he’s a detestable prick, but when i look at Wenger’s teams of the past 12 years i can’t find fault in what Piers says.

My personal opinion is that Wenger is done, he can’t take us forward. in multiple transfer windows he’s proved his short-sightedness by failing to spend what is required to win the league/CL. hell, he’s often failed to simply replace a sold/long term injured player. his team selections often times leave everyone scratching their heads in absolute bewilderment. his substitutions-sometimes- and timing of those substitutions are equally baffling. he never gets out of his chair to try and adjust tactics, formation, or to simply motivate the players to give that extra effort that the team is well capable of, especially when it’s clear to all that the team is under-performing. even when the team is performing a passionate manager edging the team on from the sidelines can often inspire the team to play well above their level.

My fear is that we’re going to see another exodus of our best players if we fail to win anything this year, because if our ambition is simply to get top 4, well all of our players that are wanted by big clubs from around Europe can get at the very least exactly what they’ve been getting at Arsenal.

Edit, i also think the points you highlight above are spot on-on all accounts.

3 Likes

The key players are Sanchez and Ozil.

Personally I think Ozil has a higher chance to stay, don’t think he is that “aggressive” on chasing trophies and fame.
As long as Arsenal/Wenger pay him good enough, he will stay.

Sanchez is the one that will make a major impact. His departure will crash everybody’s confidence level.

3 Likes

If competing for major honours was Alexis only real interest he wouldnt have joined an underperforming club like Arsenal at all.

Obviously there is more to it.

I agree it isn’t clear-cut, but you have to think he saw us “on the rise” and increasingly ambitious and the window for him is closing in terms of his career - he may very well see his stature as too big and the timing right to force a move. I tend to agree with Ronnie’s assessment that he is the bigger risk to flee - at the end of the day, nobody really knows until we get through next summer, but if we flame out and Sanchez continues to look so agonized and frustrated, I could see him leaving.

2 Likes

This assessment of Alexis based on his body language etc is a little weird.

Obviously when we dont win or dont play to our standard he isnt going to be his cheery self. What do you honestly expect?

I did not use the word “only”.

He was a surplus at Barcelona, and only Liverpool and us were trying to snatch him up.
Neither team could guarantee him good chance of winning trophies (league and CL/Europa), but somehow Wenger “convinced” him to join us.

2 1/2 years were gone, more than enough for him to see the reality.
If he loves to play for Wenger, he is a Wenger boy, there is no reason for him to be pissed and show frustration. He has already got what he wants.

If it is about money and/or trophy, what can we offer?
What team in this world that he is not good enough to start, if it is about playing time?

I don’t have any connection with Arsenal and Sanchez, I just speculate by the obvious.
Sanchez is a well-known “warrior”. Do you think he wants to compete “top-4” every single season?

If he wants 200k per week, pay him.
If he wants 250k per week, pay him.
Sanchez had already said the contract extension is up to Arsenal/Wenger. So, what is reason of the hold up?
We refuse to pay? Or we refuse to satisfy his other “demand”?? (like buying more quality players??).

2 Likes

If I go to the gym to play some ball (I use this sport because I’m pretty damn good at it not to toot my own horn :sanchez2: ) I’m confident enough in my abilities to think give me 4 other decent guys and we’ll run people off the court. I’ve got to think an athlete at his highest level like Sanchez feels he can accomplish a lot with a team like ours.

1 Like

I wasn’t suggesting that honours were his only motivation for joining us. but as ljungbergkamp says, he probably saw Arsenal as a club on the rise. at some point a player of his calibre will expect the club to fulfil that expectation. you can already see signs of this as he urges his team mates to up their game when closing down/attacking, he’s obviously expecting more on field.

1 Like

I’ve heard he just really hates wearing gloves. A source in the Arsenal dressing room revelead that. Probably.

2 Likes

okay but that doesn’t change the fact you shouldn’t be forming an opinion on Alexis based on his body language during a disappointing game, or from a random twitter user that posts stuff without any reasonable source.

We were supposed to be on the way up.

Pal,

I did not made my comment solely on his body language (I don’t read tweets as I don’t even have a tweeter account)…

I am worrying about the time it takes on his contract extension.

Wenger knows, Arsenal know, everybody knows, he is our best player and how important he is to us (I say more important than Ozil)… You can’t let this kind of negotiation drags on for too long. First, it is his contract; second, his contract may affect others’ (like Ozil) extension and other players that could join us in the near future.
What will they think of the club/Wenger if we are not able to re-sign our best player (again)???

Really hope this is not RVP #2 (not agree of Wenger/club’s vision and ambition and then go).

1 Like

That’s fair - it is just another data point in the context of no contract and swirling rumors of negotiations and external interested parties… it doesn’t mean much really and I would feel more confident if we were competently competing for the title regardless of his body language. He is a fiery character and I love that about him.

i dunno why but this really made me laugh…could just see Sanchez putting them on not liking them wore them as much as he could and afterwards throwing them off in irritability and disgust. The press asked him if he is frustrated with the result and that is why he threw his gloves ‘nooooooooo i hate the fucking gloves the itchy bastards were pissing me off all game and because of this i was not at my best, fuck those god damn itchy mother of a whore gloves;’

2 Likes

Just another wasted season as far as i’m concerned.
Fed up with all the bile Wenger spews out. My mental strength is fkkkkked.

2 Likes

Well that’s almost every week then lol. Alexis angry even when we win cause he didn’t score a goal (Palace game recently)
He’s a winner and demands his teammates match his passion which sadly a lot of them lack.

1 Like

Depends on if you expected us to win the title Len. Maybe lower the expectations and you won’t get so upset. I’ve been saying for the last 5 years that we will never will the title under Wenger again, last season was our best chance and we blew it. No way where we getting a better chance after that. I don’t know if he sign a new contract, wouldn’t surprise me if he did really. But I know we ain’t winning any more titles for a while.

1 Like

Honesty i’m sick and tired of all this Alexis winner mentality BS, it’s completely descended into the category of generic english football trope that get spouted out with no real though attached. The whole concept ‘winner mentality’ is so overblown at this level.

Alexis Sanchez is really no different to any other member of this squad when it comes to desire to win matches and bigger honours the difference is Alexis is a petulant child who wears his heart on his sleeve.

4 Likes