Arsène Wenger

But when you keep repeating the same thing, when it clearly isn’t true, people start to realise and the praise becomes irrelevant.

2 Likes

Exactly.
If you have it (mental strength), you don’t need to say it, repeat it.
Did you hear Conte, Zidane, Simeone, Klopp, Ancelotti, Enrique, all other winning managers saying their teams and players have mental strength?
You say it because you don’t have it.

By the way, if you want to instill this “mental strength” into the players, hypnotize them, please do it in the locker room, do it during training. It is not necessary to tell the public while you are not really showing that you have.

2 Likes

But its clesrly is true. A team coming back from going 3 goals down is mentally tough.

Now i know what you are going to say ‘mentslly tough teams dont go 3 goals down’. Which is nonsense.

There’s a valid point to be made though imo. Going three nil down to an average side doesn’t demonstrate much in the way of mental strength.

I dont class mentality and ability as the same thing though. Maybe others do, in which case this is a bit of an impasse.

Edit: further, not a single goal of theirs was a deserved goal brought on by some attacking nuance. I think its fair to consider that when addressing the outcome.

You easily ask how indicative blatant individual errors are of collective ‘mental strength’

Can you elaborate? I might be being a bit slow but I can’t work out what your angle is lol

It was suggested going 3 nil down to an average team in the first place was an indication poor mental strength. Does that still apply when most of the goals we conceded we through individual errors?

Basically I think our poor showing didn’t really have anything to do with mentality in itself but the cause was individual errors and poor tactical setup.

2 Likes

I don’t think it’s tactical error since it was indinidual mistakes. Tatics does not tell xahka to foul his man in the box. It takes a lot of mental strengh to come back from 3 down no matter who you play big or small team. People act like the team was shit they are a good team we got our act together and pushed forward that should be commened by the fan base

But we shouldn’t have been 3-0 down.

It’s clear that we are not mentally strong, because that was the first time, under Wenger we had come back from more than 2-0 down.

But I have certainly seen us throw away plenty of two, three and even four goal leads, which would suggest we are any thing but mentally strong.

3 Likes

The sad thing is -no one is surprised when we leak goals.
We were lucky against palace. If they had score in second half we could have had problems.
If Bournemouth had had a decent striker they could have been out of sight the way our defensive waters parted for them.

The way I see it is-

There are winners, wanna be winners and also rans.

The Manchester sides and tge chavs are winners. They have ambition.
Liverpool and the spuds are wanna be,s because they too have ambition.

We are just a stagnant team. No ambition no motivation. no will to win.Unless we count finishing top 4 as an ambition. Then we are top ambition team.lol.

Len,
I think Wenger/Arsenal did try in the summer… we got Mustafi, Xhaka, Perez…
They tried, but not enough. Either our players are not good enough, our players not developed well enough, or our tactics/training are outdated… we are just not good enough.

1 Like

Alexis and two or three others aside, our team isn’t good enough, Wenger has stayed loyal to far too many players In that squad not good enough to wear the shirt. I always feel he wants to be a father figure to them instead of been their manager, doesn’t have the ruthless streak of a Fergie in him needed to be the best. Remember those three signings aside, this is the same team that bottled it when all their rivals had their worse seasons and let Leicester win the PL, yet we celebrated finishing above Spurs into 2nd, when they bottled it. So why are we expecting anything different this season from this lot. Those signings during the summer aren’t good enough, deep down we all know it. I always felt the best thing this club could do is take transfers away from Wenger, his cheap ass mentality and penny pinching has cost us a lot of world class talent. Wenger hasn’t tried hard enough to make this side better.

We all know our tactics are old hat by now. A lot of the best managers out there now our game, basically get in our faces and you will win the game.

I always stated that Wenger should have left after that Hull Fa Cup final cause he’s not good enough anymore to win us titles. If he signs a two year extension Arsenal Football club will be seen a lot darker times ahead.

6 Likes

No, I did not expect anything different.
We are same old, same old, as @lengooner said.
In fact, I have already lowered my expectations, and not consider us a true contender, or even a true challenger.

I don’t have a coaching license, I don’t know much (advanced) tactics, I don’t manage… but as the club that charges fans the most expensive tickets in the country, having one of the state of the art stadiums and training facility, and having one of the most (if not the most) reserve funds among all clubs in the world, the end product on the football field is not as “attractive” as the club’s high profile and label.

3 Likes

It was a comeback to save a point in a must win match. In short its a fucking failed result no matter how you dress it up.
To clarify this im talking as a title challenge. Not the top 4 nonsense.

5 Likes

Shit, that was like the speech in gladiator.

1 Like

the thing most of you guys failed to umderstand is that we could of lost this match we fought to get the point. To say it is not is dismissing it is just stupid

Thats because a lot of us feel weve lost any chance of a title shot.
We failed to cash in onLiverpools fail at Sunderland. We failed to put any real pressure on Chelsea loss and now have spurs above us.

4 Likes

Are you not Entertained!!!

2 Likes

I never felt (and i’m sure many other Arsenal fans) this side were ever challenging for the title. What makes us different this year to other years under Wenger, his team has still churned out the same crappy performances (maybe this year he’s got lucky in more then he did before, Southampton, Burnley and Swansea games come to the fore) with one great performance his fan boys will jerk off over for the rest of the season i.e Chelsea (like they did the UTD game last season and beating the Champions twice).

I’m dreading us going away to Chelsea, Liverpool and Spurs. I feel a trashing will be on the cards in one of those games. I think forget the title, its all about keeping top 4.

5 Likes