Arsène Wenger

@Aussiegooner will be happy I’m sure.

1 Like

It probably does not matter if Wenger stays or goes as the board will just appoint another puppet for the way this club is run.

2 Likes

As I’ve said before Wengers is going nowhere which is great cos the teams heading that way too !
I accept things for the way they are ,you have to elst you go mad ,but I dont have to like it .

2 Likes

Forget about Simeone, never gonna happen. Atletico, Lazio/Inter and Argentina will be his only teams. Maybe in 15 years when he wants to try PL. And I highly doubt it he will.

So Tuchel is a better choice of Arsenal manager than Benitez based on what exactly? On season at Dortmund where can’t attribute how much of their success was down to managerial skill or just post Klopp revitalization. No one here has any real clue about his methods, man management or tactics other than wanting Klopp 2.0. He hasn’t done enough to justify getting the Arsenal job in 2017.

Rafa is a very sensible and experienced option, can’t believe Arsenal fans are turning up their noses at him

Wengers replacement has probably only just started his playing career !

2 Likes

Fair point. However, I personally think Benitez is incredibly overrated by his fans and I don’t really see what he has done anywhere that is all that impressive other than managing big clubs. I also don’t particularly like his footballing style.

Tuchel is unproven - I agree. I like his style and was impressed by his results at Dortmund so far and he took on a team that had just barely stayed up and got them back to the top very quickly.

But I fully acknowledge I am biased against Benitez (and AW at this point).

1 Like

tbf Tuchel has a really good reputation in Germany from his Mainz days so it’s not like they took a complete gamble on him and in all honesty I’d also rather take one of the new and upcoming managers (on a European level) than go for someone like Benitez.

that being said by the time we’d be looking for Wenger’s replacement Tuchel’s either not going to be available or we’ll have more evidence of how well he does with a different team in Dortmund.

@ljungbergkamp Rafa’s record speaks for itself tbh. Even recently he’s had solid spells at Napoli, Madrid and Newcastle. He has a clear and concise managerial method and philosophy with a strong personality. He doesn’t strike me as the type of guy who’d daunted by prospect of managing Arsenal post Wenger or as the type of guy who’d become a puppet for the board. Can’t say the same with Tuchel

@PPB immediately after Wenger it’s better to go with experience than take a chance on upcoming managers like Howe or Tuchel imo, it’s too risky to recreate early Wenger

Wouldn’t want to recreate early Wenger either, but I don’t really see the new breed of young manager like him anyway - I think he broke the mold when he became an Arsenal legend over time.

But my first choice by miles and miles is Simeone anyway… the selection of young manager after that I will leave to those who know more about the other European leagues. I am familiar with Tuchel (like him) and Emery (like him, but too late), and that is about it.

Re: Benitez, I think his record at Madrid was… .at Madrid. Newcastle he was ok… Pool he was ok and had the one shining moment… Napoli - I’ll concede that for sure… anyway, I respect your view on him but I’d pass for sure. Other options I’d rather for me.

Also, I’d rather have Klopp, Pep (even though I find him annoying as f*ck), or Ancelloti, but those ships sailed.

1 Like

The old man has no intention to retire, and no other top managers (I say Klopp, Pep, Simeone, Anchelotti etc.) have shown interest and available to manage Arsenal.
We will stick in the limbo for a few more years at least.

2 Likes

As I said by the time Wenger’s leaving we’re either not going to get him or we’ll have a better picture of how well he does with the current Dortmund team. It’s not really something that is of relevance as of right now and I was merely saying that he was well known in Germany before he joined them.

Regarding the experience part, I disagree, but that’s just preference more than it is saying that one is better than the other. When Wenger leaves I’d like to get excited about what is coming and not go with the boring and stale we’d have had for so long. There’s plenty of managers out there who have made a name for themselves for their modern approach and I think it wouldn’t hurt if Arsenal went that way and attempted something new.

Surprised this hasn’t been posted yet (unless I’m not looking closely enough):

http://www.espnfc.com/arsenal/story/2919931/arsenals-premier-league-title-rivals-spending-spree-is-quite-scary-arsene-wenger

“You look at the cheques that everybody signs and it’s quite scary. That’s what the Premier League is about at the moment.”

If he recognises that that’s what the league is about at the moment then surely the answer is obvious… join the party and spend some serious money.

I can’t even be bothered to dissect and discuss the poor choice of words when it comes to “scary”

1 Like

Well in one sense, it is scary the sheer amount being spent on players right now. Pogba looking set to be the first £100 million transfer is mindblowing amount of money for example.

Yes, he absolutely needs to spend a large amount no question and has no excuses if he fails to strengthen this Summer, but he’s right to query about the amount of money being thrown about across the game now.

The value of a player keeps on rising and rising. Where does it stop at? £100 million? £200 million? maybe even 500 million? Infact the way football is going, in hundreds of years to come it could rise to some stupid number like 1 billion. Sounds completely farfetch’d right now, but it may just happen one day in Football. And that sounds utter madness to me.

I think for me the thing is that I don’t find it to be particularly scary or mind blowing, post Ronaldo and Bale it has simply seemed like an inevitability that we’d reach the point at which someone would be sold for nine figures. It’s just the way football is going really. I’m not saying it’s a good thing, just that it is a reality.

I’m not impressed by our manager saying that it is quite scary whilst seemingly failing to adequately strengthen our squad once again

5 Likes

Jake, this is simply him coming out with excuses early this season for when he fails at the end of the season. If I were to venture a guess, I think he has tried to sign a few players by offering, what he considers a good price, which obviously is ridiculously low in the current market. In the mean while, the real big clubs, are paying huge sums of money for players that Wenger values at a lot lesser and that is frustrating him. He doesn’t want to spend big and he can’t stand the fact that others are and are getting their targets.

6 Likes

Hit the nail on the head.

Personally I be shocked if he’s around come next season, if goes into another season not having signed a top quality striker and fill in the gaps in other positions like Centre Back (sorry Holding isn’t the answer right now). Xhaka is a good signing but still not good enough to win us titles. Also if he doesn’t mount a long lasting title challenge that lasts at least until May, and try to get past the last 16 of the CL. I doubt getting top 4 is going to win many over. I think it be wait and see for Wenger this season, if he can come out still having the fanbase behind him and not too much bad press he sign a new contract.

It’s going to be interesting watch to see how thing unfold on and off the field.

1 Like

Just think how scary it is for people that aren’t themselves 100 millionaires.

I think in couple of seasons, It will come down again.

Right now PL clubs are paying players the wages at the rate it was couple of seasons ago. As and when contract negotiations start & all players are bumped to current rates; Clubs won’t have that spare revenue which they have now.

West Ham would return back to 20m or stay at 30 for years to come.