Arsène Wenger

fair enough.

Apart from our reserves, our current first choices are the best we have had in ages. I believe we are in a stronger position than in the past.

I don’t think we are in a better position than 07/08 or even 10/11. There are still 1 - 3 players missing in the starting eleven to make it happen imo. Quite similar situation we were in in those two seasons.

1 Like
5 Likes

Man, Arsene really cocked up tonight

http://www.goldmyne.tv/wp-content/uploads/2015/07/wenger-Laugh.jpg

Well played sir! :wenger:

6 Likes

Who would have thought?

1 Like

Must be true. He only ever says things that are true.

2 Likes

that was in 2014.

Sanchez saying it himself. Then again he’s lying too isn’t he. Everyone is just… lying all the time.

4 Likes

Lets just see if Wenger delivers the league Title this season before you heap too much praise on him, after all thats what most of his fan boys predicted he’d do by the end of this 3 year deal.

Fantasy Football say he is a midfielder. They know best…

1 Like

Here he is saying Theo is a striker too. Maybe he juat thinks everyone is a striker. :gunnersaurus:

Arsene Wenger says Theo Walcott's future is as a striker | Football News | Sky Sports

2 Likes

[quote=“Aussiegooner, post:2121, topic:125, full:true”]
Lets just see if Wenger delivers the league Title this season before you heap too much praise on him[/quote]

But why :joy:? What does his league success have to do with whether Sanchez was intended as a striker, tried there and when it didn’t work he trained more and now it does? The boring old idea that I love everything about him could only look that way to someone blinded by doing that very thing except with hate and assuming I am doing the same but opposite.

Right here I defend him on this very topic. Nothing else. And that has always been the case I had the same thing defending him from the “he limited his own spending” smearing campaign, all I get in the end is the same thing, that I love everything he does and Wenger needs to win things to prove I’m right.

No he can get relegated this season and I still have strong arguments for being right about the things I defend him on. I even disagree I heap a lot of praise on him to be a generally positive fan of the club he manages tbh.

1 Like

1: Does that make me wrong about the things I said about Sanchez?
2: Does that make him a liar about what he said about Sanchez?
3: Did you consider that arguing whether or not Wenger is right about Theo has fuckall to do with anything discussed?

would like a reply.

1 Like

Ox as a cm coming to an Arsenal match near you.

4 Likes

We have 4 or 5 top quality strikers remember ? Wenger said so before the 2014/2015 season I think it was.

1. No idea what you’ve said. Wasn’t responding to your comments.
  2. Nope. But it also doesn’t mean he was telling the truth. I’m sure he’s thought of playing him there (he even decided to play Gervinho there more than once after all) but it wasn’t a grand plan basically. (which i’m sure you’ll be back to tell me you weren’t implying anyway).
  3. Yes it’s relevant. It shows he’s pretty indecisive when it comes to that position so anything he says about it can be taken with a pinch of salt.

I have no strong feelings on whether you should write a reply or not. :slight_smile:

7 Likes

It’s a little obvious Wenger wanted Alexis as a striker to begin with. And I’ve been saying as much sInce he joined.

Yeah add to that the fact that he really didn’t reliably play striker for a couple of seasons. Wenger’s own comments basically show he was unsure and a bit indecisive. I read he also might not have seen it happen this year if it wasn’t for Giroud’s injury at the start:

https://www.theguardian.com/football/2016/dec/09/arsene-wengers-long-wait-to-make-alexis-sanchez-a-striker-at-arsenal

Regardless, the point is that he DIDN’T play him at striker for ~2 years, so even if he thought he WAS striker primarily, he didn’t act on that for a long, long time for one reason or another. And it also begs the question of why he didn’t then get a proper wide attacker to plan for it.

3 Likes

Right. So he buys him with the intention to play him as a striker, he does, in fact, play him as a striker, for two spells, I mean millions of people saw the games and they’re probably on youtube if you missed them, denying it is futile, and he concluded, and rightfully so, that he needed more training because it just wasn’t good enough, and now he is good enough.

I like watching the rest of you circle jerk around me to avoid arguments in this strained process of keeping a lie going in the face of evidence or trying to shift the point but for the record, since you’re not talking to me here @ljungbergkamp my point was one that I made in the initial debate, and that was that Wenger would in deed spend £20m on a striker and he has. If you feel like another thing is the point, such as how much he then played when he wasn’t good enough then that’s alright, just making it clear.

And @shamrockgooner I’m sorry I thought you were talking to me. Maybe you just felt like sharing the line “Must be true, He only ever says things that are true” all randomly in this thread after my post, and I wrongfully assumed that you had an opinion on my post that you would stand up for, and likewise with your post about Theo. My bad, won’t happen again.

1 Like

I think the evidence suggests that the most reasonable explanation (if you believe he “bought him as a striker”) is:

1. He felt the best formation and use of talent in the squad was to put Alexis out left, which is what he did primarily for the best part of 2 years;

2. He did this because he thought the difference of Alexis/Giroud at striker and Alexis/alternative out left was less - in other words, it hurt the team more to put him at striker b/c it wasn’t enough of a potential improvement (at the time) IN COMPARISON to the delta of losing Alexis out left and his alternative.

So even if you want to do the mental gymnastics to say he was absolutely bought at striker even though he wasn’t primarily used there for 2 years (at a prime age I might add - this isn’t like buying a 22 year old promising striker), then why didn’t he address the left so that he could properly shift Alexis up front permanently?

1 Like