Arsène Wenger

Never mind

I refuse to believe this, I can’t… I won’t.

1 Like

I guess i won’t be able to sleep off an incomplete debate :laughing:

My point was that Guardiola emulating his football with Bayern was not really a challenge too big.
A challenge would be taking a defensive Arsenal known for 1-0 wins to transform them into an attacking force that Wenger managed.
That is a transformation.

What Guardiola did was mere upgrade on Heychenks’ Bayern.

Instead of arguing how that upgrade was still challenging for Guardiola, you focused on me using the word ‘similar’.
I even used the phrase that ‘maybe not as elaborate’ but somehow when i should discuss football, I should encapsulate all angles & safeguard them to avoid people diverting from the topic.

So once again, How is getting a strong Bayern team (winner of CL & possessing most WC winning players) follow his football, a real test for Guardiola?

PS - For fuck sake, i don’t need a lecture in difference in football style. I am only concerned with obstacles Guardiola would face with such a side.

Here’s a post i made in another thread. Im really interested to know why people think Guardiola needs to challenge himself to be proven?

2 Likes

Again, I’ve already responded to this, in the post I made and then quoted in full, and if I have to provide more reasons to convince you it’s likely you just don’t/won’t get it.

I don’t think Guardiola, a manager who won multiple CLs, needs to prove himself.
The discussion was about something else, which after waking up realised that i shouldn’t have stretched it this long.

Complete rubbish. Top managers earn the right to manage top clubs in the same way I wouldn’t expect Messi to leave Barcelona and ply his trade at a relegation threatened La Liga club to prove he could still do it there.

We’ve seen plenty of occasions when managers of low/mid level clubs step up to big clubs and can’t handle the pressure and expectation so the notion people throw around that managing a big club is easy is complete rubbish.

I have no doubt in my mind that Pep is the best manager in the world.

And also those who downplay what he did at Bayern are literally just going on the fact that the team didn’t win the CL there so he can’t possibly have been a success.

Not true. I’ll find you an amazing article that breaks down the true scale of his accomplishments at Bayern.

You do realise how tough it is to win trebles lol. Clubs like Man United, Inter Milan have only done it once.

2013 was Bayern’s first and only treble.

But Pep himself won Barca’s first treble so he is part of that history.

I think Ajax have won one but apart from that no other club has ever done it. Think the great Capello Milan teams, the Liverpool sides of the 80s. They haven’t done it either. A lot of shit has to come together for a treble to happen. (I.e. If Dennis doesn’t bottle that penalty against United in 1999 no treble for them.)

So not winning a treble is not a crime. What Pep did do is win the double 2 out of 3 years he was at Bayern and winning the Bundesliga every year he was there.

So basically in 3 years he got just as many doubles as Wenger has had in 20 years at Arsenal. With more European trophies won too as he won the Super Cup in his first season.

No matter what anyone says, he has been an immeasurable success at Bayern. Ask them yourself.

All his lack of European success shows is how hard it actually is to win the big eared fucker. How everything has to come together at the right time in terms of form, lack of injury, luck and the draw. Facts we as Arsenal fans know first hand.

1 Like

It’s a bit unfair to compare Wenger to Pep. Pep has been at two clubs who have had ready made world class teams with so many world class players. Wenger has never really had that. Not saying what Pep has done isn’t amazing, but it’s a bit unfair to compare him to Wenger. A real comparison would be if Pep managed a team full of potential like Arsenal or if wenger managed a team full of superstars, Madrid, Barca, Bayern etc.

1 Like

Not only the treble but the Champions League too. I think there are only 5 managers who have won the Champions League multiple times with different clubs.

Jupp Heynckes is one of them funnily enough. He lost his job directly after winning it both times too. :joy::joy:

It’s not like Pep has just gone out and spent £100m on the most obvious Bales and Pogbas of the world, though. (His two big signings at Barça-- Ibrahimovic and Villa, were both funded by the unprecedented success he had already brought to Barça, and the former by partly by Eto’o of course)

He developed the best DM in the world, he brought through Pedro, Piqué went from young talent who hadn’t made it at United to world class CB under his reign, he made the big decision to put Ronaldinho (and then Henry) aside so to maximise Messi’s talent and have him operate as a centre forward…etc. etc.

At Bayern it’s even more a case in point, the signings and movements there are incredibly astute, Thiago (which wouldn’t’ve happend without him of course), Douglas Costa, Coman, Vidal, Alonso…turned Lahm and Schweinsteiger into fine deep lying midfielders, utilised Alaba with great success practically anywhere you want him, turned Boateng into a top class, ball playing CB, etc.

I’m sorry but people are just way too fucking glib when it comes to talking about Pep Guardiola.

1 Like

@AbouCuellar

I like Pep’s high press yesterday a lot more than his Bayern’s aimless possession football.

Schweinsteiger was basically a deep lying midfielder (CM/DM) long before Pep’s arrival; and not quite sure Lahm as a DM was really a success. Against weaker teams he could do whatever he wants with Bayern’s depth. Against good teams, Lahm never really played good comparing his standard performance as a right back. Jogi Low tried him as DM for some NT games but he was really at his best when moving back as RB and then won the WC.

The only player he really developed at Bayern was Thiago (and arguably Alaba). Did not see much improvement from Costa and Coman, as they could not really replace the often injured and aging Ribery and Robben.
Alonso, old and slow and could not catch up the up tempo game…
Vidal, look lost while playing as CB, DM, CM, and side midfield…

Do think Pep is a good manager but I want to see his true ability when managing some not-so-high-profile team(s).
Right now he does not get my full approval because he turned Jupp’s lethal and ruthless Bayern into a toothless Barcelona B team.

His start at City was okay, and yesterday’s game was great. Hope he will make De Bruyne and Gundogan better players… then we can judge. This is his 3rd stacked team and see if he can dominate domestically and win the CL.

Yes. They probably didn’t expect Jupp would win the treble for them when they announced Guardiola in January 2013 :sweat_smile:.

Coman and Costa were two cracking signings, I don’t know how you can take anything away from that, lol, when Coman wasn’t even making the bench at Juve and came to Bayern and immediately became a key player…Schweinsteiger was never an orchestrator like he was with Bayern under Pep, he definitely evolved as a footballer under him.

Perhaps city were after a similar result when they announced pep. Oh well. :grin:

1 Like

Coman made the bench for Juventus. I think he actually participated in 15 or 16 Serie A games that season.

Not to mention came off the bench in the Champions League final defeat to Barcelona.

But I agree with AbouCuellar. Make no mistake about it, what Pep did at Barcelona was incredible and he’s the best manager in the world.

Fair enough, but I also remember games where he wasn’t even on the bench. Point is to say Pep didn’t take him up a level (more like 3 or 4) in his career, or that Coman wasn’t an astute signing the type of which people say only Wenger has on his CV, is kinda crazy.

As you can see though, that is not my point. Wenger was just an example.

We say he has been a success at Arsenal yes?

Well, we can certainly say the same with Pep, who won just as much and revamped the football like Arsene did.

You can insert any other manager there if you want, like Ancelotti, Klopp, Mourinho or anyone.