Alexandre Lacazette (signed!)

You said that overpaying for one player by ten million could mean that we don’t sign one of our other targets.

I responded by saying that surely we should be able to find an extra ten million or so kicking about if needs be seeing as we spent fuck all of last year’s transfer budget (and because we have hundreds of millions in cash reserves), rather than not signing a player we need. Not sure why you are saying “that’s not what I said at all”, I didn’t say that it was what you said, I was asking a question in response to what you said.

Yes we can afford a fuck up or two, what a stupid thing to say. We’ve fucked up many transfers in the past and the club has been just fine. Every club in the world fucks up transfers from time to time. Every transfer is a risk ffs, any transfer could be a fuck up. That’s the nature of football. Surprised that anyone buys into the risk averse, pussy shit that Gazidis comes out with.

I have absolutely no idea what you are on about with the tin foil and conspiracy comment at the end of your post.

3 Likes

You can fuck up small, but when you fuck up big, it is all down to a risk evaluation, and figuring out what to do. The way the club operates, whether you agree or disagree with it, is founded on the principles of sustainability - it is an admirable way to do business, but it clearly has its negatives.

The question isn’t should we have an extra £10m set aside, as it is irrelevant. We have a budget, be it £5m or £500m, and we need to strictly adhere to it no matter what the budget may be. There are allowances, but for the most part, the budget is what it is.

Let’s not jump the gun and freak out; we are linked with three quality players (including last year’s PFA player of the year).

All I am saying, and it wasn’t neccesarily directed at you, is that people (arguably supporters) are quick to jump down the club’s throat, some even saying that it is so Kroenke can offset it against the Rams relocation.

We are linked, let’s just see how this plays out. Admittedly, if it gets to Sept 1, and we have done nothing, then that is a different story, and I’ll be equally, if not more, irate.

Back to my original post, it was a genuine question. What happens when you spend basically none of your transfer budget in one season, where does the money go? Is it actually unreasonable to hope that our budget could be a bit bigger, or have a bit more flex than usual, due to that.

If not, where does the money go?

Btw I’m not saying this to challenge you, I’d just really like to know.

1 Like

It gets injected into another facet of the business to improve it.

Is that just your assumption? What facet of the business was improved to the tune of 50-80 million? (Not a precise figure granted, but the budget must be at least that much)

We are never historically right with our funds.
We have 200m sitting in the bank and yet need a striker, winger and CB.
As for not over paying to get the next player on the list, what list?
When do we ever buy more than one quality player in a transfer window without selling?

@Arsenal what was your username on the old site? I’ve got to say that “Arsenal” is a pretty uninspired username haha

I totally understand that and fully, wholeheartedly support that. But here is the problem. We never even spend 50% of our supposed budget in any season, unless you are saying that our budget is a mere 50 million each year, which if it is the case, will point at the club being massively mismanaged in terms of finances. The whole point of moving to a bigger stadium was to help us compete with the bigger clubs in terms of our finances. If at the end of it all, we are struggling to spend more than 50 million every summer, then Gazidis and the whole board need to be sacked. If on the other hand, the new stadium plan is reaping us the extra money as it was supposed to, then surely we have a heck of a lot more than just 50 million to spend, EACH SUMMER. So, then why the heck do we need to worry about an extra 10 million spent on 1 player? Surely we should be able to afford that seeing that all other big clubs can. And before you use the oil money excuse, remember, we are only talking about an extra 10 million here, not spending 85 million on a Pogba or 75 million on Higuain.

2 Likes

The notion that last years transfer budget was injected into other facets of the business is frankly laughable. It went straight into our cash reserves which we’ve continued to stockpile for years now. Because we were so close to doing a Leeds or a Portsmouth that having the highest cash reserves in world football is absolutely imperative to safeguard us from going bankrupt.

4 Likes

Rednwhitearmy haha

1 Like

Why would I mention Suarez? Ive said countless times we dobe nothing wrong there and I’m not convinced we’d have got him at any price.

Anyway, we need to get fucking real about the market we’re in. Every other fucking club is overpaying and all we’re doing is causing ourselves grief in the long run. At least those other clubs are fucking trying

Wages for waste of space youth products that can’t get a work permit. :stuck_out_tongue:

"Arsenal have not come back [with another offer] and they will not come back," Aulas told L’Equipe. "No one will leave OL, except for Rachid Ghezzal if he has an offer, which I doubt."

I’m going to fight him.

1 Like

Typical Arsenal/Arsene way to handle transfer???

1 Like

Sorry to be pessimistic, I have read these too much…

Arsenal ready to make a bid
Arsenal ready to move for
Arsenal ready for…

Every season Arsenal’s name appears the most as headlines, saying we are ready for…
Then you know…

If someone has a release clause of 40m then why would you offer 40m + 1?

1 Like

I heard the supposed clause was phased in a way which meant Arsenal interpreted it as any offer over £40M exactly would be accepted hence the £1. It wasn’t intended to be cheeky or meant as an insult, Arsenal were simply trying to trigger the clause. That conclusion makes sense tbh It’s not really how Arsenal do business method to make silly offers

1 Like

That is correct. Arsenal were apparently led to believe any offer OVER £40 million would trigger the clause. It would have been stupid to then have bid £45 million or whatever when £1 more would have been sufficient. I’ve never understood why that was so hard for some people to understand. Obviously they were misled, but that’s not the point.

2 Likes

let’s say we want to sell our used car and you are telling your friends that it can’t be lower than $5000.00 (means more than that).
Then your friend come up and offer $5001.00, what would you think?

I know, technically your friend did not do anything wrong, but you know, you want more than that. $5100.00, $5200.00, or $5500.00. Absolutely not $5001.00. You probably (at least I would) would tell your friend to fuck off and offer something real.

If the release clause was “more than” 40m, why didn’t you offer 41m? 42m? 45m??
If the release clause was just 40m, like @morrisc311 said, why did we offier 40m + 1??

Arsenal did not do anything wrong, but that extra 1 pound just made people feeling uncomfortable.