Alexandre Lacazette (signed!)

Finally it’s happened!

It ain’t an Arsenal forum until you’ve talked about the Suarez saga.

3 Likes

Have you EVER heard of a release clause with that language? Wouldn’t that leave a lot to the imagine for something that would be considered a binding document? It makes no sense whatsoever.

And the only way Arsenal do business is either:

a) make silly offers (usually comically low)
or
b) cherry pick players that clubs don’t want or need to jettison and are therefore forced to play ball with our comically low offers)

1 Like

But it wasn’t sufficient, so you’re wrong.

Why offer a million pounds when it wasn’t necessary? I don’t understand that logic, if the clause was valid then a quid would have been enough.

Trouble is, when news the £40M + £1 bid came out it was massively sensationalised by the media and people on social media. Heck I remember at the time taking the piss of Liverpool because I thought the offer was cheeky and we were completely mugging them off whilst taking their best player.

If Arsenal had their way news of the bid wouldn’t have gotten out at all.

With the power of hindsight it appears that it in fact, WAS necessary. So you’re wrong.

From Arsenal’s point of view, there was nothing wrong
Put yourself in Liverpool’s shoes, then you know how it feel.

Back to the example I gave, you most likely would tell your friend to fuck off, if they offer 1 pound/1 penny more than your request. Don’t think you would say “thank you for your business” and make a deal with him.

@morrisc311

A release clause can be worded in any way both parties agree on. Wording the clause like the way it was shown to Arsenal was perfectly reasonable. There was nothing out of the ordinary with that but then again bare in mind the clause wasn’t legally binding in the first place. So this discussion is kinda moot.

Your assumption of how Arsenal do business is based on rumours, sensationalized paper talk, click bait and ITK murmurs. No one here has the slightest clue on the process of how Arsenal negotiate transfer deals.

With the power hindsight it appears that it in fact, WAS NOT necessary. So you’re wrong. Liverpool were never going to sell to Arsenal regardless of the fee offered, I don’t think a £41M bid would have changed that.

Arsenal did nothing wrong.
Liverpool breached the terms of contract.

If Suarez wanted, He could have sued Liverpool for that.

4 Likes

In a world where everyone sues everyone for anything Suarez just decided not to…keep reaching. It doesn’t make any sense. The deal didn’t get done when it could have, just another failure by Arsenal in the transfer game.

Liverpool supported Suarez during the time he was getting criticism from all sides for his stamping, biting & racism rows.
After such a relentless support, No one would have sued Liverpool; especially someone as emotionally driven as Suarez.

3 Likes

As well as making silly offers and cherry picking players, we also pretend to be interested in big name players to give supporters the impression "we aren’t afraid to spend“ which of course no sane person falls for anymore.

Wenger has made this very difficult for himself with the ridiculous statements that he only buys super quality that is better than what we have, which is virtually impossible if you’re valuation of every player is considerably less than all the selling clubs.

Who could possibly have seen that coming :neutral_face:

Bosman aside when has a footballer sued their employer to get out of a contract?

Yeah leaks are to be expected in this day and age, not much can be done about that. It becomes embarrassing when complications arise. Like a player unsure about joining ie Vardy or when we’re mislead about the nature of a clause ie Suarez.

I like how West Ham are more willing to pay the going rate than Arsenal.

There are no excuses when they are bringing the money and Arsenal aren’t.

1 Like

IMO Suarez was more offended by our little game than Liverpool was.

So much offended that he gave an Interview stating that he wants to leave.
An interview which made Brendan ask Suarez to train alone.

“I want to move to play in the Champions League and there is a club offering me that opportunity,” he said. “I have told the manager that I want to leave the club.

"I am being accused of showing a lack of loyalty but last year I had
the opportunity to move to a big European club and I stayed on the
understanding that if we did not qualify for the Champions League the
following season then I would be allowed to go. “I gave
absolutely everything last season but it was not enough to give us a
top-four finish. Now all I want is that Liverpool honour our agreement.

“Last season, we told Liverpool there was interest from a top European
club but they told me: ‘we have a new coach, we are going to push for
the Champions League’.
"I spoke with Brendan Rodgers several
times and he told me: ‘stay another season, and you have my word, if we
don’t make it then I will personally make sure that you can leave’.

“Liverpool is a club with a reputation for doing things the right way, I
just want them to abide by the promises made last season.”

He sounds so fucking offended at Arsenal, doesn’t he?

honour our agreement.
abide by the promises

Clear indication that Liverpool breached the terms of the contract.

Hell even Liverpool CEO admitted to it.

1 Like

Thats possible but just an opinion. The point being though that players just don’t sue clubs, mainly because its just not necessary.

The Suarez saga was a pretty unique case tbf. In isolation, I think it is right to give Arsenal the benefit of the doubt here; however, in the context of our consistent lack of ability to get needed players and positions sorted barring the lucky miracle (Ozil and to a degree Sanchez), I think it is fair to think that Arsenal could very well have approached this post 'Pool implosion with the idea that the clause didn’t exist. Was there a number to get the deal done that wasn’t over 80 million at the time? I think so - remember, Suarez was coming off of troubled times again and certainly seemed ready to leave.

I think if we had gone in with a face-saving situation for everyone, it was possible to get something done (and overpay)… the way it went down was pretty much doomed to failure if Arsenal had read 'Pool owners at all correctly in the situation… it ended up looking bad on us, which is pretty ironic considering 'Pool basically breached contract if we are to be believed.

At any rate, we suck at aggressive, targeted deal-making and it is killing our team (among other things).

4 Likes

Basically this. We can barely execute a straight up buy let alone a complex situation with another PL club that is as big or bigger than we are in everything but stadium size.