Youri Tielemans

Just clocked we’re playing them next week at the Emirates. Expecting Tielemans to roll into our dressing room demanding answers from Arteta like:

On a serious note, it will be interesting to see if Leicester are actually weakened by then. Perhaps we finally make a move for Tielemans too.

I’m always sceptical with these kinds of things.

Maybe I’m just a softie but there surely has to be some value in being loved somewhere down the line?

If I applied for a job and after a week chased it up and they said “we loved you we’ll definitely be making you an offer this week!” and then I chased it up every week for 3 months and got nothing but nonsense delays, I’d probably just say nah I’m alright thanks I’ll look for something else.

Do players really want to be so clearly not a priority for a club? You’re talking about committing 4-5 years of your life after all. Maybe he has no other legit options but it seems a bit sad to be the long term backup option if we really have been talking for months.

3 Likes

I get this but footballers have unique circumstances with transfer windows and such.

Of course, there have been examples where players felt like they are being played so they ended negotiations with certain teams.

The weird thing with Tielemans is that no club has made an offer for him and Leicester confirmed that.
Not even a lofty bid from Newcastle or West Ham, I honestly can’t believe a Belgian international and despite a poor season, one of the best midfielders in the league not attracting any offers.
So it isn’t just Arsenal.

Either Youri’s has been advising interested teams to wait till mid-August before bidding or perhaps clubs have been briefed about Leicester’s financial situation which deadlocked in terms of incomings.

Makes the world of difference, though.

Look at how Leno’s value tanked. That’s purely performance based on 2020/21.

Once Torreira goes, we will make an offer on our choice of CM I believe
Just waiting for those outogings.

Is this the case though, or is Tielemans fully aware of where he stands with us? There could be a pre-agreement with him that we will only complete this in the last week of the window and he could be fully on board with it. We are speculating on what is happening because we don’t know, but we cannot assume the player and his agent aren’t in complete understanding with the club

Maybe we said we’d do that but personally I’d not take the word of a football club that I don’t play for when my future was at stake. He’s leaving himself very little room to sort something else if we let him down last minute (which may be a risk he’s willing to take if he likes Leicester)

It’s similar to the Partey situation tbf. Both Arsenal and Partey had an agreement and we didn’t make our move till Deadline Day.

I believe, Edu and Arteta pinky promised him, and as you know, there is nothing more iron clad than a pinky promise.

Transfer Toad * says attacking player before midfielder & Saka contract announcement at the end of the window.

*No, I’m not bored of it yet. Give it time.

We are not signing him. The club values Sambi highly I think. Think our business is done for this window.

Meh, from what Edu and Arteta have said I think it’s clear they still have things to do.
Only way I see us being done in the window is if the players available aren’t the right fit. I can accept that excuse in January but not in the summer.

1 Like

Everything points to us signing a winger/forward: We already tried to sign Raphinha, we badly need a player who can come in for Martinelli/Saka and do similar things, Arteta has talked about needing more goals in the team and we only have signed one forward, there have been lots of rumors about being after a wideman for months, etc.

I don’t think very much points to us signing Tielemans at this point. IMO, the most plausible scenario is that we worked hard all year on a potential Tielemans deal and then ultimately decided to sign Vieira instead.

Tielemans is a decent enough player but he’s not an attacking game changer like Raphinia, Maddison, Bowen, etc, which is what we really need.

So although we’ve bought Jesus to replace Aubameyang and Lacazette, surely we must be getting another quality forward, considering our obvious lack of goals?

If we don’t, and our big signings are Jesus and Zinchenko, then it will be a very underwhelming window.

1 Like

You say that but he does chip in with 10-15 G/A a season for Leicester.
Offensively he can be a game changer as an #8 instead of Xhaka.

4 Likes

Really? The club is getting so little for him, I can’t believe that he is the lynchpin to bringing in another midfielder.

It may not just be the transfer fee
It may be linked to salary
It may be linked to squad numbers
It could be anything

1 Like

I agree completely with you in saying that Tielemanns is not a game changer. I would argue that both Jesus and Zinchenko are though in different ways. Saka is already a game changer and Odegaard and Martinelli have that potential. Saliba (COULD) could be a game changer for us in defence.

It’s a lazy comparison, but Liverpool started out by buying non-flashy, solid footballers like Gio and Milner. Tielemans could be this for us.

As a base, Partey, Tielemans, Xhaka and Zinchenko as our cm options is pretty good.

1 Like

I hear you Brendan.
Edu, write a £20m check to Leicester Tinpot FC for one Youri Tielemans.

5 Likes

I remember Moyes pulling this grift over Joleon Lescott too, can’t go selling you my best players mate :ozil: