Wrestling

Winds the opponent, no? But yes, a bit of a silly finisher.

Besides your namesake was the owner of the most ridiculous finishing manoeuvre of all time :grin:

1 Like

Backlash 2000 is one of my favourite wrestling endings ever. Iā€™ll hear no slander over the peopleā€™s elbow :wink:

ā€œJR thereā€™s no Shane, thereā€™s no Vince and here comesā€¦the peopleā€™s elbow!ā€

One of the greatest endings ever that should have been the Mania main event without a doubt lol

2 Likes

I know itā€™s a bit of a dirty word because Vince McMahon has ran the concept right into the ground with his bullshit but it was sports entertainment at itā€™s best.

1 Like

That 4-way match at WM with a McMahon in every corner. Fckin crap.

That year was crying out for Austin. Angle joined just a smidgen too late.

2 Likes

McMahonā€™s (except Vince) are so overrated as on-screen characters. They saw Vinceā€™s success and thought they could run with it. Yeahā€¦no. That McMahon shit ruined the WCW Invasion angle too. People bring up the wrestlers but fuck me it needed Eric Bischoff (Or Flair) instead of Shane/Stephanie.

3 Likes

Itā€™s crazy because 2000 was a shit year in my opinion. Taker was out of shape in 2000-01 and barely had a good match. The Rock and HHH carried the WWF as well as the tag division.

But the McMahons ran the story into the group. Everywhere you turned there had to be a McMahon involved it was just awful

2000 needed Austin big time but in his absence HHH-Rock had to be a main event Mania match

Foley and Show had no business at the top of a Mania card at that stage.

I never liked 2000 that much think itā€™s one of the most overrated years in wrestling history. Even when Austin does come back you get the shit feud with Rikishi which was just a total waste of peoples time.

3 Likes

Imagine that feud with Bischoff and Heyman leading the pack.

The idea that Shane would buy WCW from under his fathers nose wasnā€™t a bad idea. But he needed legitimate WCW guys to make it work and they didnā€™t do that.

2 Likes

Armageddon 6-man Hell in a Cell, I liked, tbf

The Rikishi falling off the top of the cage onto the truck and a bloodied Austin and the Rock going face to face in the middle of the ring were unforgettable spots.

The rest, nah. Didnā€™t like it. They brought the Bulldog back and ruined him, too, that year :frowning:

1 Like

2000 is a weird year. They started it off excellently with the Royal Rumble 2000 (Underrated), then did this weird overbooked angle with Rock/Show/HHH/Foley and contrived it in some way to make it end at Wrestlemania. For a good ppv like Backlash you had PPVā€™s like Unforgiven and King of the Ring were just ā€œwhateverā€.

They finished it off great with Armageddon 2000 too. I think itā€™s remembered more for itā€™s great moments (It had a lot) than itā€™s consistency. There were more consistent years than 2000.

3 Likes

It needed legitimate WCW guys but I think it was doomed to fail as soon as they made it McMahon v McMahon. Goldberg, NWO, Sting following the orders of Shane McMahon? I donā€™t buy it. It was hard enough watching Booker T and DDP do it.

2 Likes

Itā€™s a shame cos 2001 was shaping up to be an incredible year, anyway. RR01, No Way Out 2001, WM17, Judgement Day. All epic.

The Invasion angleā€¦it ruined what could have been a better WWE year than 1997.

2 Likes

1997 = :goat: year in wrestling

WCW at its best. WWF at its best.

Unrivalled

3 Likes

It went to shit when HHH got injured (Which kind of surprises me to say). I donā€™t know the details but you think they had some big plan for the two man power trip and would of probably tied in with the Rock returning. Too much of the Invasion angle just feels random and clearly ill-thought out.

1 Like

I also started watching Wrestling with Shadows last night, too.

Itā€™s engrossing. Strongly recommended

1 Like

Speaking of the Invasion itā€™s a shame it hurt Stone Cold. I thought it was some of his better promo work.

Man was doing 15mins+ Promos trying to carry this dead angle.

1 Like

Stone Cold had some of his best work of 2001 and carried the company

What did he get as a thank you? Dead creative in 2002 and being pushed down the card lol

2 Likes

I think, at the point where he was walking out on WWE, heā€™d just got into a kayfabe battle with Eddie Guerrero after a bar fight.

Reinforces your point. Eddie wasnā€™t an A-lister with the WWE at that point. He had to wait 2 whole years more.

1 Like

Yep. They had no intentions of pushing Eddie up the card at that point

Hall at Mania
The shitty feud with nWo
The feud with Flair
Then Eddie
Then asking him to job on live TV to Brock

They really shat on him those last 6-7 months lol

3 Likes

He wasnā€™t as over in 2002 but WWE was in the crapper (Relatively speaking) post-Invasion angle. The chance to catch WCW fans and re-ignite enthusiasm bombed and the Wrestlers had to deal with the aftermath of that.

What a mess that nWo angle was too, we got Rock/Hogan out of it but damn. Vince didnā€™t understand how to book factions. WCW showed you how to do it.

2002 also had them taking the piss with Chris Jericho, you feed The Rock (2x) and Stone Cold (2x) to him to let HHH beat him up, come on. HHH was over but that was not the play. Peak WWF was done after that.

1 Like