Wrestling

Exactly this.

He’s also one of the few wrestlers currently still wrestling who has had a 5 star match.

1 Like

That’s such a subjective thing it’s effectively meaningless.

Not meaningless in the wrestling business.

Dave Meltzers ratings are pretty revered

I don’t know man as soon as he broke his own system to give out 6 stars so did it’s legitimacy.

1 Like

Yeah the 6 stars thing was bullshit. It was like giving an A* at A level (something I still can’t fathom)

Up to that point, though, it was hard not to agree with how he’d rated a match.

1 Like

Meltzer is so full of shit and full of himself. Nobody takes the guy seriously and most people in the wrestling business can’t stand the guy.

The fact he gave Tony Khan booker of the year is hilarious too. Meltzer actually said he influenced some of the greatest bookers ever lmao. The guy is an idiot

2 Likes

Rock vs Hogan is very disagreeable, I’m sure there is more.

Problem is Meltzer seems to have a very specific taste of wrestling, which is absolutely fine. But makes for dodgy objectivity.

It did seem ok however until the NJPW stuff, then he just started throwing stars out like candy.

1 Like

Hmm I honestly can’t see how Rock v Hogan should be a 5 star match. It was great for spots and pops, but in ring wrestling, nah.

There are controversies, of course. I preferred Owen v Bret at WM but their match at Summerslam a few months later was rated the 5 star match. Another match that isn’t considered 5 star is Randy Savage v Ricky Steamboat at WM3 (while the rest of the wrestling universe ranks it rather high)

Just looking it up and it appears Samoa Joe had 3 five-star matches in the space of a rolling year. Incredible!

Rock-Hogan was incredible. But because it wasn’t an Indy or a Japanese spot fest, it doesn’t rate highly for Meltzer.

Wrestling isn’t just about spots and all that jazz. Hogan and Rock nailed every second of that match to perfection. They played the crowd, they gave us one of the great near falls ever (the leg drop on Rock).

I can think of a tonne of great wrestling matches that Meltzer didn’t give 5 stars too whilst he’s dishing them out for fun to nothing matches.

1 Like

I don’t think it should be 5 stars either, but definitely higher on the fan engagement alone (subjective but I feel should triumph among all else).

I just feel there is too many 5 star matches (or 6 and 7 lol). That should be for the absolute perfection and the whole package such as Bret Hart vs Austin, or a modern example CM Punk vs John Cena.

1 Like

Punk/Cena was really and truly the last great wrestling match in terms of the magnitude of the story being told and the incredible in ring action.

Dishing out a 5 star rating to a pointless match with no real story to be told just devalues the entire thing. That is Meltzer problem.

Austin/Hart was the greatest double turn in wrestling history and wrestling perfection.

Cena/Punk was part of one of the most compelling storylines in recent wrestling history - which coupled with an incredible crowd and ending made it a 5 star match.

Giving everyone Japanese and Indy spot fest a 5 star is just crap.

2 Likes

Another example is Austin-Rock at Mania X7. Even with the unnecessary heel turn, it has to go down as the greatest Mania main event ever in what is probably the best wrestling PPV of all time

1 Like

See, now these 2 I cannot argue with and they stand the test of time. Everyone would say they’re 5 star matches (although with CM Punk it had something to do with the worked shoot of him quitting the WWE as champ and him winning it in front of his home Chicago crowd)

Razor Ramon v Shawn Michaels WM10. I remember watching that the first time and being blown away. Pretty tame by today’s standards. 5 star match nevertheless.

The RR of 92 is one I’d vehemently argue with Meltzer to upgrade to a 5 star if ever I met him lol. It’s like my 3rd favourite match of all time :grin:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jjSusRdU7Ms

Pumped for this. The best ever. Nobody has ever been a bigger star in the industry than Steve Austin.

1 Like

The main reason for the WWF winning the war

Ziggler v Miz at No Mercy was special too.

Miz is so friggin good on the mic.

Did anyone watch Wrestlemania in the end? Are there any stand out matches worth a watch?

I watched the 2 men’s title matches. Both titles didn’t change hands which is unusual for Wrestlemania

Night one was vastly better than night two all in all. Banks/Belair was a really good closer for the show.

3 Likes

Let’s fucking go!

1 Like