Would you take 2nd if offered now?

If you want the WC to go to hot countries, then having it in the winter makes perfect sense.

Nations League is quite important to the wee teams though. Just ask Scotland.

1 Like

Certainly taking Top 4 right now.

It’s naive to think we can sustain this type of pressure in teams for a season long campaign, especially with a whopper of a world cup chucked into the middle of it. That alone lends a sense of uncertainty and not just for Arsenal.

Certainly enjoying the way we have started this season but also wary that we are The Arsenal, and funky stuff happens to us :vinai:

4 Likes

I think you’re right but, although other clubs have got thin squad’s as well, we do tend to get more injuries than most, especially to key players.

Partey, Jesus, Odegaard, Saka and Ramsdale are arguably our most important players but also in positions we we have the least depth of quality in.
So an injury to any of them and we could struggle.

yeah our injury thing is fucking annoying… I do wonder how much is familiarity bias but it does rather seem like we have had some terrible luck there… I worry a tiny bit less about Partey atm - my main paranoia is now if Jesus breaks down it just creates a cascading problem for us.

1 Like

Gave this it’s own thread since Super Mik Arteta got derailed

I’d take 4th and EL win

Otherwise I feel we’ll do better than 4th

1 Like

Love the confidence!

61% says nah

1 Like

How we get to 4th matters as much as the position.
Fourth isn’t an achievement. Falling into this position from aiming high is one thing. Spuds got it last season on an end of season run. They have a slightly better squad this season but don’t convince me of doing anything substantial.
Similarly season before last United finished second but nothing was put in place too improve on.

9 Likes

4th gets us back in the Champions League so yes. Champions League arsenal with Gabby, Partey and a host of exciting under 25s. A strong summer and we can really push on.

1 Like

totally agree - its why I harp on points total being a better measuring stick…

1 Like

I’ll take 4th if Tottenham can finish below us. Forget the cups, for me this season is about ECL qualification and finishing above that tin-pot outfit up the unfashionable end of the Seven Sisters Road.

I don’t know about 4th. I’m taking the 5th on the one!

In all seriousness, I’d take it now. I think c💩ty in 1st place is a given, and there’s not too much disparity between 2nd and 4th in terms of reward.

I believe us and c💩ty are playing by far the best football right now, but it’s a long season and you have to take into consideration form and squad depth.

Edit: these points gave probably already been made, but I was late to the thread and CBA to read the previous posts. :face_with_spiral_eyes:

3 Likes

I think the team now has what it was sorely lacking under Wenger: the ability to scrape wins when things don’t go according to plan. There’s a certain grit Arteta managed to instill in players, by empowering them to take upon themselves more, while carrying on the tradition of teamwork beautiful football. So if we have all the squad available throughout the season, I can see the team both grinding out results against smaller opponents and pulling miracles against top teams. That’s why at the moment, I would see 4th place as an underachievement. We are from all points of view the second team in the league, so naturally I would expect us to finish second.

Any of the pessimistic Pollys want to change their vote?

1 Like

Closed the poll for now :henry2:

Will do this one again possibly before the World Cup or somewhere in January.

1 Like

Excuse me?

5 Likes

Oops. Cup.

2 Likes

2nd or 4th really makes little difference both equal CL Football without a trophy.

So I suppose it comes down to if you think we can beat City to the league ?

It does make a difference. Second means we’re the second best team in the league. Fourth means there are three teams above us - one of which would probably be Spurs. Second also shows a vast improvement.

1 Like