Would you take 2nd if offered now?

I’ll take 4th if Tottenham can finish below us. Forget the cups, for me this season is about ECL qualification and finishing above that tin-pot outfit up the unfashionable end of the Seven Sisters Road.

I don’t know about 4th. I’m taking the 5th on the one!

In all seriousness, I’d take it now. I think c💩ty in 1st place is a given, and there’s not too much disparity between 2nd and 4th in terms of reward.

I believe us and c💩ty are playing by far the best football right now, but it’s a long season and you have to take into consideration form and squad depth.

Edit: these points gave probably already been made, but I was late to the thread and CBA to read the previous posts. :face_with_spiral_eyes:

3 Likes

I think the team now has what it was sorely lacking under Wenger: the ability to scrape wins when things don’t go according to plan. There’s a certain grit Arteta managed to instill in players, by empowering them to take upon themselves more, while carrying on the tradition of teamwork beautiful football. So if we have all the squad available throughout the season, I can see the team both grinding out results against smaller opponents and pulling miracles against top teams. That’s why at the moment, I would see 4th place as an underachievement. We are from all points of view the second team in the league, so naturally I would expect us to finish second.

Any of the pessimistic Pollys want to change their vote?

1 Like

Closed the poll for now :henry2:

Will do this one again possibly before the World Cup or somewhere in January.

1 Like

Excuse me?

5 Likes

Oops. Cup.

2 Likes

2nd or 4th really makes little difference both equal CL Football without a trophy.

So I suppose it comes down to if you think we can beat City to the league ?

It does make a difference. Second means we’re the second best team in the league. Fourth means there are three teams above us - one of which would probably be Spurs. Second also shows a vast improvement.

1 Like

Depends on the circumstances I suppose, we finished 2nd in 15/16 and I felt we where a better side by miles in 07/08 when we came 3rd.

You might have been right the first time.

3 Likes

Logically would take third if we were offered it now but I’m enjoying every game too much to not ride it out.

I’m with you. 2nd or 4th makes no difference to me.

Who would overtake us though?
Liverpool is 14 points behind us, Chelsea just recruited a new manager & is 8 points behind, and United are in shambles.
If any of them finish above us in second, that means we fucked up big time.

The only genuine contender is Tottenham. I don’t want us to finish behind Spurs again.
So nope, can’t take third.

It has to be Top 2 this season with the start we have had.

Chelsea will finish above spuds. Chelsea with better structure have more than them.
Leaves one place for 4 between them United and Liverpool.

1 Like

Are they really? They don’t look impressive but have been picking up points and have a decent squad.

Only 6 pts behind us if they win their game in hand.

1 Like

It’s a marathon still though with 29 games to go, I remember last season in March you thought we were nailed on top 4.

1 Like

Any of them can finish above us, it’s been 9 games and we’ve managed to escape our mini injury crises so far.

I’m fully expecting we lose a couple of key players during the season, what if Jesus gets a bad injury?

The only reason I said third and not fourth is that I don’t want to feel like the one who scraped in, but really it’s the same outcome.

Still I’d rather kid myself and enjoy the title challenge so let’s go :red_circle::white_circle:

3 Likes

We lost it with the finest of margins though. For most parts my predictions were right.

They are. They are lucky to get something out of both of their last games. They played two really poor sides in Omonia & Everton; and yet they struggled.
Give it a few games and the shine will start to wear off.

You just need to look at their attitude against Manchester City.

I think the strong start will be the difference maker this season. If we can make it to the WC break with minimal injury disruption and continue winning most of our games then we will definitely finish top 4.

5 Likes