Work/life balance

Mortgage being done is a huge thing, I still have a substantial mortgage left… but in terms of value nearly own half the home and half is still the banks but I can’t complain with that at my age.

3 Likes

I worked out at our current rate I could be mortgage free by 42 if I’m happy to stay in a shit area, but I don’t know if I’d have the balls to actually take the plunge and retire early.

I’m not entrepreneurial enough to secure another source of income and I imagine it’s scary to start eating into your pension early.

6 Likes

Bro.

I’m on my week off. I’ve just spent all of today just raging, stamping about the house, venting on here and just snapping at anything.

I kind of wish I was at work so I’d be distracted from this awfulness.

2 Likes

It’s just online coaching. I’m a qualified PT, but I absolutely hated it so I moved to online coaching which involves giving people ongoing support with diet, supplementation, training and other stuff.

I help people who just wanna get in shape, people who want to compete (as bodybuilders). It’s something I don’t actually mind doing as I love fitness. I’ve got a shade over 20 clients at the moment and from next year the aim is to expand the client base to a maximum of 50 people but I’m just finishing up some extra courses first to broaden my knowledge.

11 Likes

Thanks for the input ladies and gentlemen, always interesting to hear other people’s journeys and thoughts :sunglasses:.

1 Like

Oh that’s great, well done you. Guess it’s the kind of thing where you can pick your own hours as well.

I often think that’s one of the worst things about work, that it’s “work”. If you do it on your own terms, then it doesn’t seem that way as much. That’s definitely how I have felt since going freelance. I can do the work when I feel like, I don’t clock watch.

1 Like

Have you ever thought about linking it to an Instagram account?

Yeah, I’ve always felt like the lack of flexibility with work is what kills me the most. One of my first ever coaches when I started using online coaches myself would just randomly fly out to other countries and spend weeks living somewhere else and taking his work with him.

I love travelling but I couldn’t ever just randomly wake up, book flights and then spend a few weeks abroad without having to think about my work commitments.

I’ve always desired a life where I get to manage my own time. I don’t mind doing a 60 hour work week but I’d rather do those 60 hours at times that suit me rather than in a rigid 8-4/9-5 structure that I have been.

Plus I also feel like the age we are at now is genuinely the time we actually are at our physical peaks (late 20s to late 30s) so why not enjoy that time and do all of the crazy things now rather than having to wait until I’m old and retired before I get the time to.

@Cristo I’ve got my Instagram page setup and my website built, but I’m not launching them until January 2021 as I feel like I want both to be absolutely perfect first. It’s an extremely competitive market so I believe if you don’t present your product in the best way possible it can impact your potential client base / retention.

7 Likes

I’m currently working on trying to create some passive income. I’m looking to start small and hopefully use that to fund a more lucrative project. Still workingon finding the niche I want to attack.

I’m currently feeling inspired. Halfway through reading The 4-Hour Work Week.

1 Like

It’s the best decision you’ll ever make, especially if you have a family. It makes life infinitely more easy because you actually manage your time in a way that allows you to prioritise other things at important times and not constantly have to beg work for some degree of flexibility or understanding.

Keep plugging and when you find your niche, attack it with an obsession.

1 Like

Or if you just want to finish Pretty Little Liars on Netflix :smile:

3 Likes

Thanks. It’s something I’ve been thinking about. I do enjoy the career change I made to programming and still want to stick with it. Ideally I’ll be able to get a decent pay rise with a new job and stay remote. The key here would be to find a job where I can maximise my time and essential have a good salary and work only 4 hours. Then I can still plug away at creating passive income. It may eventually be software I create myself. I’ve got an interest in IoT, but I’m not there yet. Right now it’s all about keeping it simple.

Would love to buy a house and rent out our flat. We are also hoping to get our son into a local private primary with an alternative approach to education where they value more than a grade. So we will be able to take him out to travel (when Covid allows) and keep a learning journal. With family all over and none here, it would be so freeing.

I also still really want to start a secondary school.

1 Like

How does time management work with that many people? Or is the coaching session based?

It’s pretty simple because most people just check in once a week. So I split the 20 people up across the Friday - Monday period so I get 5 check ins every week which is basically an update on people’s physiques. And then I make amendments to diet, training, supple ration and cardio based on what I see and the responses I get from the check in “sheet”.

Throughout the week I get questions and stuff but it’s no more difficult than replying to a simple WhatsApp message from a friend anyway.

All in all, it’s actually nowhere near as time consuming as my 9-5 is. Although when I ramp up my client base I know it will become so.

4 Likes

Obviously if it impacted on your posting time here you’d cut a client or two. Right? :grin:

2 Likes

Goes without saying mate. I even managed to post on OA on my wedding day, 16 years deep in this game.

14 Likes

Totally the right approach. You need to nail the launch of your website and have loads of ready made content to that you can drip feed onto your Insta feed so that you don’t look like an amateur and so that you don’t have to stress about creating content while actually dealing with clients etc.

You’re right it’s a really competitive arena, but my girlfriend works in social media and it’s become very clear to me that one of the most important things in regards to a good feed is pre-planning and having a good catalogue of content you can post while you deal with the other aspects of the business.

1 Like

I thought that was on Sky Atlantic??

Absolutely banging show. Reese Witherspoon and Nicole Kidman masterclass.

I am also preparing for a side revenue which I want to slowly expand into my primary revenue. I am studying and learning skills required for that.

I really want to make it work as I don’t wish to work 9-5 beyond 35 or in my 40s atleast. I want to travel around with my work. Currently I am slave to my job which sucks.
I got a new job which allows me the financial setup to make preparations. Let see how it goes.

4 Likes

That’s Big Little Lies :joy:

You’re right, though. It’s a good’un

3 Likes