Work/life balance

• Must have: proven contacts around the club

:santi:

3 Likes

It’s not over yet @Bl1nk!!

1 Like

With my job we have a daily plan with a certain amount of work orders that need to be completed and we had the flexibility to roster on and off at whatever station as long as we were compliant with our work orders.

Then last Friday a couple of our work colleagues got caught doing the wrong thing and have ruined it for everyone, now irrespective of what happens we’re required to roster on and off at the depot at the start and finish of every shift.

Now I understand that this situation is the norm for lots of jobs, but when you get granted that flexibility and it’s taken away it’s a savage blow. Things like when I know my works the next day on occasion are 10 mins from home, but I have to travel an hour into the depot just to roster on and then head out to the location right near home just feels like a body blow :dizzy_face::stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:.

5 Likes

I hate it when some morons take for granted a good thing and take it too far then everybody gets the punishment.

Dunno if this applies to you but I feel you.

7 Likes

Yeah mate that’s pretty much exactly the dynamic of this current situation.

1 Like

Hope it was Lacazette getting some revenge on you :wink:

Jokes. Sounds really annoying aus. Always someone who takes it too far and ruins it for everyone else

1 Like

Had a similar attendance related thing happen to us. Because some people didn’t even make the bare minimum effort in terms of attendance to mandatory classes, an enforced attendance sheet is now in force for all classes for me.

Even the tutorials that are a waste of time.

The previous implicit procedure was that you come to the mandatory tutorials that are like an hour a day where you show face, then can leave. But people couldn’t even do that ffs now it’s all day useless shit where you have to get everything signed off.

2 Likes

Yeah mate when people ruin setups that don’t increase productivity or efficiency but are just put in to punish everyone because the odd person has taken the piss to far is gutting.

I thought some on here would be able to relate, hence I felt the need to post it.

Yeah I totally empathise. We used to have an agreement that if you were on cover over the weekend you could take a half day off the following week.

A few minorities abusing lunch their hour on a frequent basis and coming back intoxicated ended that. In hindsight they were idiots though, all you had to do was stick ‘extenal meeting’ for three hours if they wanted a long lunch.

1 Like

People like that piss me off. Too many don’t know what they’ve got and then it’s gone for all.

I’m now studying full-time. I’m really enjoying learning to code, but I’m also getting restless. I hate not having a job, but supply teaching was so stressful and not bringing in enough money to be worth the time it was taking away from my studies. I’m teaching myself through tutorials and online courses. I’ve got a good handle on HTML5 and CSS, a solid understanding of the basics of git, GitHub and version control and the basics of JavaScript (although I’m struggling on application of it outside of websites and mostly using jquery). I really want to be interview ready by the end of Feb.

Hoping this change of career will offer better hours and eventually better pay. I’ll be staying away from young startups as I’m not putting crazy hours in. It’s just going to be finding that first job. Definitely loving it more than teaching. Working on a website for my sister and loving every minute of it!

4 Likes

If you have taken a break and have a good hold of those languages, try Python and learn Data Science on a whole.
Plenty of jobs popping up in that domain.

Thanks. JavaScript is actually the most in demand language at the moment. If there is a need for really good JS developers. I’m currently following a new course on JS as I don’t feel secure in it. I don’t want to have to rely on libraries and frameworks.

I have done a bit of Python before. I plan to go back to it eventually. I want to land a front end developer job to a handle on JS and everything it can do. Plus, with nodejs, I can use it on the backend too. I eventually want to be good a Python as I think it’s very useful for a full stack developer, opens even more possibilities. I do want to look at D3.js and take a crack at data visualisation, but I’m not sure I want to be data scientist. I really like UI/UX - so leaning towards web and mobile development.

3 Likes

Never mind a career change, we might need to have you in the mod team as a future OA techie guru, considering all that stuff is all the basis of Discourse coding! You’d love all the stuff we’re able to play around coding wise on here.

I’m glad it’s going in the right direction for you and getting a lot of enjoyment out of it, keep at it :slight_smile:

4 Likes

I am currently handling that, so ping me if you need any spuggestion on courses or anything

1 Like

Awesome! I’m a UI/UX designer and front-end developer at a Dutch agency, been there for five years now. Mainly focus on UI/UX but lately been doing a lot of front-end. HTML5, CSS and some WordPress stuff. Want to learn Javascript at some point, too.

It’s really a lot of fun

1 Like

Cunt, I will ping you this weekend for tips.

I did the HTML/CSS/JS thing two summers ago but did it out of curiosity, not for work purposes, so don’t really practice it. It does feel quite empowering to create shit simply by writing gibberish and see it manifest in front of your eyes.

Funny this thread took a turn for tech stuff, I was thinking about starting a thread on AI technologies.

Question for the people who have gained tech knowledge through self-teaching via web tutorials and courses, I am looking at you @k1tsun3 - Are there any credible online institutions like academies and stuff that will give credible certification for knowledge of certain technology upon sitting an exam, something that employers take seriously?

In field of AI, check out Coursera’s Andrew NG’s course on Machine Learning and Deep Learning certification.

Good one, didn’t know about them, thanks @Trion

If you really want to understanding the fundamentals of computer science, I highly recommend CS50x on Edx. It’s pretty damn awesome. I haven’t finished it yet as I decided to focus more on front-end.

I’m not really doing any certifications per se. I completed the responsive web design one on freeCodeCamp.org. But I don’t find their tutorials great. I then completed the front-end part of Colt Steele’s Web Dev course on Udemy. Didn’t feel like I had a full understanding as he really uses Bootstrap, so I then did a course on Udemy that really focused on workflow, git, GitHub to build a website from a PSD file. This was very useful in really learning CSS, lots of tools and the overall workflow.