William Saliba (2)

(he’s ours, cunts) seems better

I know it’s mentioned above. Here is an article on it. What a joke. Feel for the kid. I’m sure he would’ve loved to have played in the final.

I think we’ll see a compromise reached here, especially if the player himself has said he is eager to play. Won’t be a great start to his Arsenal career if he comes in carrying resentment towards us.

2 Likes

Indeed, we don’t really have much bargaining on this one.

Of course he’ll want to play in the final lol

3 Likes

He will definitely want to play but it doesn’t mean he’ll hold any resentment if he ultimately can’t. Hopefully if that’s the case he can be a professional. And look, they will probably get trounced anyway so if he doesn’t play he might end up seeing it as a plus in the long term.

2 Likes

Dont we have all of the leverage here?! They need to meet our demands, or suggest an agreeable counter proposal, or we don’t let him play. Don’t we in fact have the strong bargaining position compared to St Etienne?

2 Likes

My worry is the Saliba himself. It won’t be the best of starts in his Arsenal career given he wanted to stay on loan with ASSE in the first place, he has an affinity with them. I’m purely speculating from that point of view though, he might be fine if he knows the true ins and outs of this debacle anyway.

3 Likes

I feel for them over the money, but that really should have been the compromise they were willing to make to make this happen.

I think it’s dumb for him to be there if we can have him here. Surely this would be a golden opportunity to see him in training and then decide where he is in relation to the other CBs before the window opens.

Normally I’d say it wouldn’t matter and that we should bring him back but it seems from the start of the deal he wanted to stay at ASSE, it would leave a bitter taste if we deny him the opportunity to partake in the big moment

1 Like

OK, I get that a bit more.

Cos I do think from a bargaining position we hold the cards, not St Etienne.

But end of the day though, they’re playing silly buggers here at least as much as we are, so if he doesn’t get to play he can look towards them at least as much as us. If they waive the money and follow our instruction regarding his health and fitness, he can play. Our position isn’t unreasonable here so not sure he would hold much animosity against us.

At the end of the day, fuck paying another club to borrow our player for longer than was initially agreed if they aren’t willing to follow our instructions regarding his fitness. We spunked thirty mill on an eighteen year old defender, we’ve got every right to try to protect that investment and our asset and they should be willing to play ball if they want to be able to play him in a match he currently isn’t eligible for.

3 Likes

The issue here is that we would have paid them that money anyway if their season didn’t finish due to covid-19. In theory, it was “guaranteed” money for them.

1 Like

Also I wouldn’t worry too much about Saliba resenting us, he’s already been over here a few times and is probably star struck already. When he gets settled in and is welcomed by world class players like Auba, Saka and Cedric he’ll no doubt realize he’s in the big leagues and embrace it.

2 Likes

I see you.

9 Likes

Isn’t essentially all they are asking for is a 1month extension of the loan? Dosnt feel like an outrageous request. Pretty much everyone who was on loan got their loans extended to complete the season.

No they’re also currently saying they won’t waive the 2.5m appearance fee if we extend the loan and they won’t let us monitor his fitness

They’re asking for an extension on the loan, the £2.5m fee to be paid and that he doesn’t return to parent club for fitness work. So it’s a pretty outrageous request given they’re the ones who want him to stay and play a cup final but don’t want to budge on fee or fitness plan and then release a public statement damning us.

4 Likes

St Etienne are trying to bully us into paying them for keeping our player for longer.

Don’t know what they’re smoking over there at Stade Geoffroy-Guichard.

Happy for them to keep him for the final if they waive the appearance fee. In which fucking world does the parent club pay the loan club? Jokers need to take a long hard look at themselves.

11 Likes

Is the final against PSG? If so this whole situation doesn’t matter. They’ll lose 4-0 with him, 5-0 without him. Mickey Mouse league.

3 Likes

I think the heart of the matter is they want that money. I’d suspect given the choice of get the money and he doesn’t play, or waive the money and he does, they’d take the money.

They’ve been fucked by this virus and it’s bad for them but they need to accept it’s not happening.