William Saliba (2)

Never really heard of it unless we had a recall clause.

Come to think of it did we not send Coquelin out on loan to Charlton then recalled him due to injuries? That was outside a transfer window so I was clearly talking shite :joy:

1 Like

Look at Saliba there, marking with his eyes.
B-but he’s gonna come right in and improve our defence right?

1 Like

Depends on the contract I think

1 Like

Medley is clear.

I genuinely paused for a moment and wondered who was that? :rofl:
Fucking hell, completely forgot Zech was still on our books. Yet another player who we need to make a decision about this summer.

You can recall, if that’s what’s in the contract but what I don’t think we can do is add him to the PL or EL squads.

2 Likes

I thought you could add if the player didn’t count against squad size or if it was an emergency recall. Didn’t City get permission to sign a keeper outside a window and play them immediately?

1 Like

We still have 47 other CBs though.

2 Likes

Oh

1 Like

Yet almost every goal they concede is a mistake from him.

Sure they are.

3 Likes

Check out the goals they conceded since he arrived there. Every time Nice are playing a Saliba mistake is making the rounds on Twitter till they pull it down.

He does that here gooners will be calling for his head. I see people turning on KT, Leno, Saka, Gabriel and ESR for less.

Ain’t even hating on the lad but this notion that he comes in and he immediately fixes our defensive issues is wishful thinking. It’s gonna take him a few seasons to get adjusted. By that time he’s gonna be the next scapegoat because he was overhyped in the first place.

I think people will be more forgiving of mistakes if we have a coach who can work with young players. He’s obviously talented, has a whole career ahead of him and, at least in my book, has the huge advantage of not being David Luiz.

1 Like

I’m afraid I don’t trust a word you say on Saliba.

1 Like

I always hear that but I don’t think I have ever seen a fanbase like ours be forgiving of mistakes. There isn’t patience nowadays. Especially with social media around.

He is a promising kid but the way they’re hyping him means he’ll get twice as much criticism when he does bad here.

We haven’t had an 80 point season in 13 years, we were told we were moving to the Emirates to compete with Europe’s elite, I think that’s why patience is wearing thin with this fan base.

3 Likes

Sure, but that doesn’t change the fact that young players take time to develop.

Talk about hyping, our manager gets more than any of our players.

1 Like

@Aussiegooner is right. The disconnect isn’t because Arsenal fans are any more terrible than other fans of similarly sized clubs. The disconnect has been between what the club has said it could do and what it’s actually done. Gazidis, Sven, Raul, Emery and even Arsene take some of that blame. I think fans might not like a club coming out and saying “Sorry comrades but we’re pivoting from competing at the top level to a self sustaining model that will undoubtedly see us drop down a tier” or “Folks, we’re going to do a hard rebuild. It’s not going to be easy because the contracts at the club are a disaster but we’re going to lean heavily on the academy, we’re going to bring in other talented youngsters and we’re going to see what they’ve got.” I think being honest with a fanbase is way better. And it’s not like they have to worry about tanking the club’s stock or its ability to borrow money.

2 Likes

Interesting that not enough fuss has been made about Fabrizio saying we’ll go for a CB if Luiz goes.
Surely that dumps the theory that Saliba will be our starting RCB next season.

Are we actually gonna sell him? :joy: What the fuck are we doing? I know he’s still raw but he’s young enough to be coachable.