William Saliba (2)

Wouldn’t be surprised if we loaned him again. In fact I think we should.

Something to be said in not throwing a young player in at the deep end especially a defender.

We have enough CB options so that he can acclimatise to the requisite degree.

FLOP ! ITS TIME GO ! WENGER AND GAZIDIS OUT !

1 Like

Brighton is streaming this match on their homepage if anybody else is as bored as me…

Saliba looks like a man among boys. Watching some of these Brighton kids try to dribble past him is lololol.

George Lewis looks pretty good.

1 Like

Extremely talented and already better than some of the defenders we have, but I’ll back Arteta’s judgement as he is doing a respectable job results wise so far.

1 Like

Literally could not give less of a fuck

MIDFIELDER NEWS NOW TWITTER PRICKS

4 Likes

Except we play Leicester in our first cup game. If we win that, then we wil likely play Liverpool. Not sure how much roation Arteta would do against those side. Hopefully Saliba gets to play though.

adonde esta saliba?

There was much talk on social media about why William Saliba wasn’t in our squad on Thursday night at Liverpool.

So why was the French defender not included?

“He had a year last year where Arsenal loaned him to St Etienne and that was a transition year for him,” Mikel Arteta said.

"For many reasons, that wasn’t the transition year that he needed because he had a lot of injuries, some personal injuries and also with COVID and the French league getting cancelled, he didn’t have that year.

“He needs that year of transition and we are trying to make the right decisions for him to give him the best transitional year for him to have the player we want in our future.”

Fair enough?

1 Like

Basically “he’s not where he needs to be, you’ll be lucky to see him before 21/22”

Yes. He’s 19.

Little concerned that Raul paid 30 odd million for a player who’s not even ready to come off the bench. Hope he develops and turns out to be worth it.

7 Likes

I definitely agree, very valid concerns. I think the piece of business we did was kind of genius but at the same time I feel it was also a bit mental for us to be doing it while we still have Mustafi, Holding, Sokratis with question marks over their heads.

It felt like a deal a team like Liverpool or City should have done, a bit of a luxury future proof deal for a team that’s already a bit more stable than us.

Saying that it’s looking like Gabriel is shaping up to be fantastic value and when you put both deals together it definitely might be a masterstroke by the club even if it does have shades of lunacy.

2 Likes

Way too early… easing in a 19 year old in a super odd year and off-season for a position that generally requires experience and time (at least historically) is totally fine. This is an investment for the future and he will get the chance over the course of the entire season.

1 Like

Yeah I’m starting to have some serious worries.

Pepe for £72m who has effectively been replaced by a 32 year old Willian on a free and then £30m on an 18 year old we won’t even put on the bench in the league cup.

What the fuck is going on other than Raul using Arsenal as a piggy bank for his best buds.

2 Likes

Transition year my hole. Just code for he’s shite.

6 Likes

Do you really think this?

Young defenders can’t be relied on, no matter their potential. Would rather us take our time with Saliba.

3 Likes

Soyuncu struggled a lot in his first year too.

Wilo is not a bad player by any means. I’ve mentioned this when the season ended as well. I tuned into a couple of games where he played last season and while the potential is there, he’s still very raw.

I think Holding at the moment has the edge due to his experience and ability to communicate with the rest, which Arteta has mentioned before is very vital in defence.

I hope he doesn’t go on loan, I think his time will come if Papa and Musti are going.