William Saliba (2)

People that are entirely convinced of him right now might not being saying the same thing 3 or 4 games into his EPL career, big step up in pressure from France to England whether people why to admit it or not.

I will say that it’s great he looked good against PSG though because they’re aren’t too many tests like that in the French league.

6 Likes

Debatable.

I think Saliba should stay at OM that will be best for his long term development.

Lol it really isn’t

OM is one the biggest clubs in France on an upward trajectory with proper competitive expectations, the pressure playing well for them as a starter is bigger and much more intense than anything he’d experience at arsenal as a rotation piece.

1 Like

Fofana came to this league and took to it with consummate ease, not to say Saliba would do exactly the same but they were on par when playing together at Saint-Etienne with Saliba probably edging in terms of being rated.

I wouldn’t say it can’t be turned into a positive experience playing with OM but if he had a coach who actually believed in him he has the talent to have had a similar impact as Fofana did, seems to me Arteta didn’t trust himself to bring him through which is why he has been farmed off elsewhere. He doesn’t improve players they just play their natural game

Some are saying they are sure he will come here and stay. I’m not so sure ,the club has done everything to make him feel like anything but an Arsenal player. The relationship seems non-existent apart from a contract.

2 Likes

The tweet quoted says he made a number of mistakes against PSG, while I also read on skimming comments earlier an opinion that he looked “great” against PSG. Hard to reconcile the two views, maybe we need some video of good and bad from the match. Maybe I’ll search bit myself later when I find some time.

Nah I see the tweet as pointing out that he “makes mistakes” rather than pointing out that he made mistakes specifically in that fixture.

Absolutely agree and I’m one of the advocates for this loan, however I’m strictly talking about him starting in the EPL week in week out for Arsenal as a contrast to what he is experiencing now. Starting for Arsenal every week could ruin him at this stage because it’s a lot more demanding than what he’s going through in his loan right now, not to mention the expectation and the criticism would weigh more on his young shoulders than it does with OM in France.

For me this is a natural step for him but we won’t really know what he’s about until we see him week in week out in our colours. It’s like Ramsdale everyone thought he was shit but he’s been immense, everyone thinks Saliba is unbelievable but he could easily be a disaster. Like I say we won’t know till he’s in the lineup, so no need to rush that until he’s truely ready.

1 Like

My stance on him hasn’t changed, I would just like to see him get a shot. If we have room for Pablo Mari, Kolasinac etc. There’s room for Saliba. If he’s first team material. Fantastic. If he needs time, we don’t have to throw him to the trenches every game.

2 Likes

We think EPL is too much of a pressure for a 20 year old, but we think the pressure is not on a fucking raw, inexperienced manager.

Interesting point.

The arguments regarding the need to give Saliba game time would make sense if he comes back.

I will own up that Arteta was a genius to manage the development of a young asset.

However I have a fear that he is not coming back and none of the aspect of this whole saga is beneficial for us.

2 Likes

He is a starter with OM, have plenty of playing time and European football, why the feck he wants to come back?
Genius treatment and judgement by a fraud.

4 Likes

He’d want to come back for the same reason he wanted to join in the first place, to prove himself at a higher level.

1 Like

There are plenty of places for him to explore and prove himself

Sure. He isn’t currently under contract at any of those though.

Yet mate we all saw that changing room video

1 Like

I know how Arsenal handle business :slight_smile:

We know how Saliba handles himself @ronniec

3 Likes

The clue was in his name the whole time.

2 Likes

Strong endorsement to Saliba for his return :roll_eyes: