We didn’t finish top 4 (2021/22)

Then make Unai Sir. He would deserve it :kos2:

In the ten games or so away from home where they lost points five of those came against top six opponents. Not sure we still need to be as afraid for away games. We are allowed to expect something, no?

@AW49 they are both still in the Cup. Watford is up against Palace at home. I’d reckon they would put more into that.

We can, but I’m really worried that most of our games are away from home. Wolves, Leicester Everton, Watford and Burnley. We need to be beating Newcastle, Crystal Palace and Brighton at home.

From those away games I could easily see us losing three of those if we’re not on top of our game. Wolves, Everton and Leicester worry me. Wolves up their game agaisnt the top 6 and Leicester with a new manager you don’t know what you get. Everton you just never know, same with Watford. They could upset us. Burnley one, isn’t as worrying as the others for me but I would like to have the top 4 spot sown up by then.

If our performances are up to a top level, we can easily win all the rest of our matches. I don’t we will sadly, I expect another defeat or draw or two in the run. I think we get top 4 just on the basis that I think Spurs will falter more and Chelsea will stutter as well.

looking at our rivals
Man Utd: the games i think they could drop points in are Wolves (a), Everton (a), City (h) and Chelsea (h). I think the Wolves away and City home is where they could drop more points.

Spurs: The Man City and Liverpool games hoping they lose them as both are away. West Ham and Everton are games they could drop points in. But they should win the rest.

Chelsea: Liverpool and Utd games are the ones I could see them dropping points in. West Ham and Everton could cause them problems. With Chelsea they could drop points when you least expect it.

I think Chelsea will be out of the running out of the four sides earlier. I think Spurs and Utd will be in the running with us until the end. I’m really hoping we overcome this Away form and go on an amazing run.

1 Like

I think we’ll finish 3rd. Our away form is concerning but our players will be buzzing off this win and all of our games are very winnable, Meanwhile the rest are all dropping points in those big games for the most part. Spurs and Chelsea are in freefall too.

It’s really important Kosceilny and Sokratis stays fit though. If we keep Mustafi out of the XI we can win the away games.

2 Likes

I think Sokratis is one booking away from a suspension, he’s on 9 bookings. Keeping Mustafi away from any of the away games could be a relief to be honest. He’s a accident waiting to happen, if Sokratis is suspended for one game I rather it be a home game rather then away.

If Spurs lose to City and Liverpool, and drop points in another game then I think we’d be in a good position. Utd under Ole could easily win the rest of their games, even if they don’t could draw with the likes of City and Chelsea. Chelsea I think they be out of the running sooner then later.

From our remaining games, the one I am least optimistic about is the one away to Wolves. The rest we must be able to get points from!

Wolves have been exceptional against the Top 6.

1 Like

We don’t have any games against the top 6 left which means we don’t have to deal with any more 6 pointers. I would have been a lot more worried if we still had to play one of them away. Thankfully, we’ve played all of them now.

If I had been told we would be 4th and only 1 point behind 3rd with 8 games to go at the beginning of the season, I would have taken it no questions asked. This shit is entirely in our hands now.

The away games are a concern but we have to hope the team pulls some form out of their arse to get us through. Everton, Watford, Wolves and Leicester are all games I can see us losing. I really cannot call it, but at least we have a chance.

3 Likes

I know Arsenal had these kind of meltdowns in the past, but I expect them to win at least five of the eight remaining games. I hope because of a new manager those meltdowns are a thing of the past.

1 Like

If we play the remaining games like a relegation battle then we will make top four.
Dropping from top four is relegation and Emery must make the player realise this.

Everton can’t defend so we should beat them.

Cup final might be more apt given we’ve just celebrated 100 consecutive years in the top flight…

In the top flight yes, but we are slowly moving away from champions League and we need to get back in to persuade the owner to part with more transfer money.

Everton are really shit. If we don’t beat them I’d be very disappointed hah

Statistically if we carry on our current win percentage which is c. 60%, then 5 out of 8 is a good prediction.

As much as I want to rule out a meltdown, I won’t take anything for granted. We have been abysmal in some away games this season which is why I worry.

2 Likes

Thursday night could bring us back down to earth. I see Leicester away under Rodgers set up our biggest hurdle.
Changed the way they play already and Vardy is doing well off it. Home games have to be a given though but cant call the rest, although Silva at Everton could be in trouble with them by the time we play them.

Let’s hope the winds are proper

1 Like

Yeah sometimes they’re woeful defensively and on the odd occasion they show up eg freak late 1-0 loss at Anfield, 0-0 at home to Liverpool & 0-0 at Stamford Bridge.

Our record at Everton on the whole though is rather good, hopefully the lacklustre Everton turns up vs us and we run out 3-1 winners or something.

2 Likes

Remember that season they finished 4th and we beat them 7 0. Such fun.

2 Likes

Wolves and Leicester ones worry me the most. Everton and Watford do too but not as much as the other two. We can easily win them if we put in a performance like the ones agaisnt Spurs and Utd. But our away form or a injury or two could be blows to us. Isn’t it scary that we’re so worried at any away game we play. We just seem to suffer away from the Emirates.

2 Likes

Also remember that season opener where we killed them at Goodison. Including a Denilson screamer IIRC.

Was it like 1-6?

5 Likes