We didn’t finish top 4 (2021/22)

Yeah opening day of the 09/10 season.

1 Like

Apart from the 3-0 defeat in 2014, i think we have always won there.

1 Like

Lost 2-1 in 2015/2016 season, a late header from a centre half. Williams from memory, I was on the train on the way to work raging.

2 Likes

And even in december 2016 now that i remember lol!

1 Like

Maybe that was the game sorry, 16/17 season. Think we beat em 0-2 in 15/16 actually with Iwobi scoring his first goal for us.

1 Like

You are right.

1 Like

To think we would have been top had we won that game. How the fallen have fallen further :pensive:

3 Likes

Nah the Rooney screamer when he was a kid years ago.

2 Likes

Don’t mention the 2002/2003 season, still pisses me off we didn’t win the league that season, should have been 3 in a row, 01/02, 02/03 & 03/04.

3 Likes

Yeah travesty how we bottled 02/03.

Imagine if Wenger won it in 02/03, 07/08, 13/14 and 15/16.

Those are seasons that we genuinely should have won

6 Likes

Yeah the thing about 02/03 was I felt our best was clearly the best in the league. I was legitimately confident we’d win it all season.

In regards to those other seasons yeah we had a chance but I didn’t feel as strongly, our 07/08 team was fantastic but so was United with Ronaldo rampaging.

13/14 of course we had a chance but I always had my doubts over Giroud being the no 1 striker leading a team to a title.

15/16 year this was a travesty I suppose, Leicester winning it around the 80 point mark with all top clubs failing meant we blew a huge opportunity.

2 Likes

I think 13/14 was what that squad was though. We played L’pool, Stoke, Tottenham, United and City all after matchday 24. At that point they led the League for a long time indeed, but regression was bound to happen.

The 02/03 season was just so frustrating the 3 2nd group phrase draws at home to Valencia, Ajax & Roma.

Losing leads late in the season at Aston Villa & Bolton ( led 2-0 at Bolton relatively late), the loss at Blackburn late which resulted in them doing the double on us. Not to mention the 2-2 draw with United at Highbury which we led for 60 seconds before Giggs equalised. The final nail in the coffin that was the Aussie show Viduka and Harry rolling us at Highbury.

At least we saved some face by winning back to back FA cups.

Sorry about the rant, I know it’s got no relevance to the thread as to if we’ll make top 4 this season haha.

How is your memory this good? Haha

2 Likes

I do wonder if that season didn’t go as it did would they have the same incentives to go all out for the 03/04 season?

Poor teams that cost Arsenal the CL btw. Ajax (although that was a good generation for them) and a Chelsea led Ranieri.

2 Likes

Hahaha probably because I was like 15-16 years old and up in the middle of the night I think it makes it easier to remember also didn’t drink at that age :joy:.

Naturally I just do have a relatively good memory also. I’ve noticed in recent years I get my games mixed up more, just seems the seasons have blended into one another a lot in the latter stage of the Wenger era.

2 Likes

Yeah I think if we had back to back titles the invincible’s would never have happened I’ll admit that, I think the hurt of 02/03 drove us to be absolutely ruthless the following season.

Explains why people also could hate Leeds btw. I think they beat Arsenal in one of those last five games in the 98/99 season with pretty much cost them the title that year. In hindsight it would be such a nice extra to be the hinderance in that United treble win. Wenger should have probably have retired with five Premier League titles.

2 Likes

Yeah a late Jimmy Floyd Hasselbaink header at Elland Road that was in 98/99. Very costly loss for us, was my first full season following Arsenal and I was gutted.

Didn’t we also lose to Wimbledon because of a handball goal?