Why you chose Arsenal

The Lord.

Not too sure after all these years tbh!

Iā€™ve been following Internazionale for 17 years now. Only because I saw the 2nd leg of the semi-final back in 02/03ā€¦

1 Like

How do you people do this :joy:

1 Like

Best mate in primary school went over to see his English family in Grade 6, he came back fully obsessed with Newcastle United. He was trying to get me into the sport when he returned and invited me over to watch the 98 cup final, to stir him up I went for Arsenalā€¦

The rest is history.

11 Likes

Great choice of thread @Stroller

4 Likes

97/98?

Wrighty scored either a brace or a hat-trick. Someone pulled Regi Blinkaā€™s hair

How old were you in 98?

I think it was in the late 80ā€™s.
It was a great weekend, not just for the football. :grinning:

1 Like

Dad grew up in Tottenham but was always an Arsenal fan. Where I grew up it was a ā€œSpursā€ town and most of my friends support the mob. Mums side of the family are a mixture of spurs and man utd.

I have had friends who support a different team to their dads, I found this crazy and was always gonna be red.

2 Likes

Born in the Caledonian Road, Islington with the home team a walk away. Moved out of London and married a gooner from Saint Albans which got my interest started againā€¦

7 Likes

Arsenal came on my radar with Bergkamp. I watched womenā€™s football mostly until the '94 Word Cup took place in the US (not even a teen yet). I loved watching the Dutch play, especially Bergkamp. Watched more mens international football from there. Didnā€™t really get into professional football at that point, but became aware of Arsenal when he moved there. Only got into the Premier league after I moved to London in 2010. Watched a bit from 2007 when I lived in Dublin but couldnā€™t stand Liverpool or Man Utd, which were the supporters I knew. Moving to London, having been a Gunner in the Navy and loving Bergkamp and Dutch football (van Persie at Arsenal), Arsenal just made sense.

9 Likes

I think I first heard about Arsenal when Davor Å uker joined them. Started following them on the table of the EPL at that time, but I wasnā€™t too much into football at that time, I could barely recognize a few players, I found football quite boring at that time. Still wasnā€™t watching Asrenal (at all) and wasnā€™t watching a lot (if any) of football at that time.
But I donā€™t really know how everything changed somewhere towards the end of the 2001/02 season, before the 2002 world cup. From a kid who knew nothing about the game (and I wasnā€™t too young at that time, around 14) I became an absolute fanatic in a matter of months, knowing every detail about every player. Started playing ISS (now PES) at that time too, that was a major influence tooā€¦ I remebmer not liking it too much at the start, and then becoming obsessed with itā€¦ Arsenal were probably the most lethal team there, many fast players, thatā€™s why I choose them the most often.
Started watching some Arsenal games in the second part of that seasonā€¦I remebmer I loved the game against Leverkusen in the CL, remember that Bergkamp goalā€¦I though Arsenal played the best football at that time. I wanted them to win the PL, and was saying they will make it although everyone though United were kinda subscribed to it at that time. A strange thing - I liked United at that time too, I still remember very vividly how I couldnā€™t fall asleep on that night when they went out against Leverkusen in the CLā€¦ So stragne to think about it now, turned to absolute hate at the start of the next seasonā€¦ especially when we lost that season to them when we comfortably played much better football for the most of it. ffs Iā€™m still mad at us not winning it that year, we played much better (attacking wise) than in 2004.
I think the first game I was prepared and hyped to it before it started was the FA cup final against Chelsea. Rembemer we were better the whole game, had some chances at the start, then those two beatiful goals in the second half (Ljungbergā€™s run, escpecially the bit against Terry was epic)ā€¦ then the victory ceremonial, and I remember how it was strange for me we had two captains :). One who played and one (an old guy about to retire, who I knew NOTHING about at that time) who didnā€™t. :pires1:
After that obviously I watched every game of the 2002 WC, kept watching every game of football that was on TV, even if it was the second Bundesliga (hattrick) or whateverā€¦ and my love/obsession/whatever for Arsenal only kept growing.

4 Likes

Now we all want to hear more :joy:

1 Like

All Iā€™m going to say is it involved a waitress that I worked with and fancied for ages.
Then the next morning going from hers, which was conveniently near to Highbury, to watch Arsenal beat Sheffield Wednesday and then back home and a party in the evening.
Even Arsenal didnā€™t let me down. :grinning:

7 Likes

This can only mean you got a free lunch at the place she worked at.

Good on ya, son!

1 Like

Hereditary.

2 Likes

1971 FA Cup Finalā€¦ Charlie George lying on his back after his goal against Liverpoolā€¦ I was hooked from that moment onā€¦ :grin:

4 Likes

My dad had this game on VHS and kept showing me, brainwashing at its finest :+1:

2 Likes

Not quite, I worked with her.
I was a chef, sort of, and she was one of the waitresses.
I thought she wasnā€™t interested but it turns out, after an evening of working together and a few drinks, she was.

It was rubbish wages but the perks were pretty good and I was working with a few of my mates so it was a good laugh and quite near Highbury which was even better.

3 Likes