Which Cup Final Defeat

That should have been us laughing at their crying kid fan. Cunts!

1 Like

If where bringing other cup ties into it I have to bring the 91 semi final into this. I’ve never hurt worse than that day.

1 Like

The Champions League Final for me - will never be okay until we win that competition, just hope we do it in my lifetime

4 Likes

Some bump there mo :joy:

2 Likes

All of them .
Losing is bad enough but a cup final loss is souls destroying

1 Like

Yea its still that painful @Calum

1 Like

The Champions League final is head and shoulders above anything else for me. Its combination of the shafting from the referee, the incredible run that took us there to start with and the fact that even with ten men against the best team in the world it was still one of the best Arsenal performances I’ve ever seen and it was, in the end, a howler of a goalkeeping mistake and the legs catching up with us that cost us the game.

I’ve never felt quite like that at the end of a game before or since - gutted, immensely proud of the team and the feeling that the only prize we’ve never won had slipped away so narrowly.

5 Likes

Exactly we were 15mins away from winning it and the ref fckd us over - 11 vs 11 we would have won that for sure !!

1 Like

That was the biggest disappointmwnt for me - not being able to show the world the full power of our team. The biggest possible stage, the team was in such brilliant competitive condition… We all know Barca were the favourites, but I was fully convinced we were able to beat them with how we worked as a team ar that time.

I just died a bit when Lehmanm catched Eto’o’s foot… Can’t say what had the bigger impact on me. On one hand I probably didn’t believe we could contain a team like Barca for 90 minutes, no one could… On the other hand, as I said, not being able to show the team im full glow… Maybe repeating something like that Juve performance… And we started so well, we were the better team before the red… But then Ronaldinho makes that brilliant through ball for Eto’o out of nothing and turns everything around.
Looking at it objectively, Lehmann absolutely shoudn’t have done that, at such an early stage of the game… A massive mistake. But no one just could’ve said a word against him (including myself) because of what he did in the road to the final.

Maybe we would’ve lost the game anyway, if Lehmann stayed on the pitch, us going a goal down… But just, being able to play 11 vs 11, to give them a proper fight, would’ve felt much much better. No matter how the game went on, Campbell’s goal, Henry’s chance… It always just felt like we lost the game in that 23rd minute (I’m just guessing the time) and that’s what literally hurts to this day. Never like going back to that game. Love that CL run, still so proud of the team, but the the memory of the final alone is just pain.
Yeah, didn’t didn’t even mention Pires being subbed… On one hand I fully agreed with Wenger from the tactical standpoint and the balace of the team… But to see Pires walking away with that happy :vinai: look on his face… Did not feel good. :vinai:

1 Like

While 2006 was horrible, the Michael Owen final was also terrible. Nothing to show for the season after going out on away goals to the CL finalists Valencia, coming second in the league and getting done by 2 Owen goals in the final after taking the lead

2 Likes

Nothing touches 2006 but 2001 is a good shout. I also took a shit tonne of abuse at school after the 2011 LC final defeat which doesn’t sit well haha

1 Like

I keep reading the thread title as World Cup Final Defeat.

4 Likes

The answer to that is 1974

2 Likes

Correct.

Or that time the Irish women’s hockey team lost theirs.

1 Like

UEFA Cup 2000 - It was a school night so I couldn’t watch extra-time. When the immediacy is lost, the emotion goes with it.

FA Cup 2001 - This one stung. It was my first real understanding of what losing feels like, so this one takes the crown.

Champions League 2005 - It hurt as we were so close. The thought of losing Henry was on my mind too…but Top 4 :heart_eyes:

Carling Cup 2007 - Meh

Carling Cup 2010 -

Carling Cup 2017 - The loss has never registered. I always forget that we were finalists that year.
Özil choosing to past rather than shoot with his right, with the whole goal gaping :man_facepalming:

Europa League 2018 - Frustration mixed with a tinge of embarrassment. Missing out on Champions League football was a bigger deal than losing the cup final.

2 Likes

Sounds a bit sad but the Europa final in 2019 felt a bit small time to me considering Spurs and Liverpool were in the Champions League final.

Losing any European final is obvs bad, especially to Chelsea, but it was more the manner of the defeat than anything else

2 Likes

Yeah the FA cup final was rough, the CL exit was rough, coming 2nd in the league wasn’t though, United walked the league.

1 Like

That one was a sickener, no doubt. Liverpool had no business winning that match. But at the end of the day we won the cup a lot before and since that day which takes some of the sting out.

1 Like