When can we next realistically challenge for the league title?

Wait wait wait…

Pochettino is a very good manager has proven to be good with limited resources, not Klopp. Look at how many money Liverpool spent since the german signed to become their first team coach. Last summer asked to have the best GK in Europe who costed the same fee which Arsenal spent for Torreira, Guendouzi, Leno and Sokratis combined.

It looks as though we don’t have to discuss him being trophyless now, seems he’ll win the CL knocking out Bayern and Barcelona on the way.

Lol never at this rate. Unai doing a Klopp with us has been thought of but realistically very unlikely now. Gave Klopp stick like everyone but you can tell he embodies Liverpool. Unai is just a boring tactician, not a great one either :joy:

Unai is just like Valverde, the only way he’s winning major titles is at a club like PSG, Celtic or with Messi at Barcelona.

We need an elite top class manager to have us competing domestically and in Europe, hopefully we nail our next appointment after Unai whenever that is.

Valverde is a good coach. Barca have been wasteful at Anfield.
Suarez, Pique, Busquets and Messi should take more responsibility given their seniority. Puyol and Xavi truly missing from the side as leading figures.

Valverde has bottled 3 goal league leads two consecutive seasons in the CL so I’m not giving him much credit, most managers would win La Liga comfortably with that Barca squad.

Emery is better than Valverde.

There is always a desire to equate/compare managers. I don’t think it is that simple… frankly, I can imagine it would be hard to compare someone managing a Barca team to the current AFC team just on the f*ing noise associated with the gulf in squads.

Agreed but Pique, Messi and Busquets have been victims of embarrassing nights beyond their club level. Valverde could probably be going now but let’s not forget that those exceptional players are the ones who play football and those guys specifically are football icons. They shouldn’t allow their team to go out so embarrassingly.
I wonder if Pep is interested in going back to Barca. I thinks he’ll probably want to win the CL without Barca first though.

A team is the mirror reflection of their manager, no way the Roma result in particular is happening under a top manager. Even tonight’s result has plenty to do with Valverde’s huge deficiencies.

He’s a super shitty coach, should have been sacked last season. Barca will not win the CL again with him at the helm.

As for us we are so far away from challenging for the title the trophy may as well be on the moon, the sqaud is the definition of mediocre and we have a manager that doesn’t play attacking football, can’t seem to improve the defence and is struggling to instill an identity. There’s no hunger from above to win the PL and this bleeds into the sqaud, it’s very clear what the objectives for this club are.

4 Likes

A better manager would have played Coutinho is middle and Dembele on Wings.

Not for the next few years imo, I think if Emery can turn this side into a top 4 and CL side again he’s done well. With the transfer budget and just mid table sides getting stronger and rival’s able to spend more. I just can’t see Emery or any coach Arsenal bring in after him taking us back to the top.

Realistically I see us ending up a mid table team unless the board pump money into the transfer market or we unearth some world class talent in our youth system and end up pulling a Ajax and been a top class unit that way. Maybe I’m a little harsh on our club but unless they start acting like a big club and spending, we’re going to end up a mid table team.

I be shocked that we win another title in my lifetime (I’m in my mid 30’s).

2 Likes

We won’t attract any top class managers with our transfer budget and even if we did would the likes of you and the others already calling for a managers head give him time. Our fanbase needs to relax and sort itself out. It’s shameful how we act.

I’m willing to give a manager time if he has some sort of playing identity or noticeable system he’s trying to implement.

What I find difficult is to give a manager time that throws the magnets around week to week to see if any will stick.

I doubt you would, you are already calling for Emery’s head after one season, a bloody season. He’s could get us into European Final and had us fighting for the top 4 until the end of the season that hasn’t happened for the last two seasons with a squad that isn’t his. He needs time, Liverpool fan’s have given Klopp time and we should give Emery time too.

Our fanbase needs to wake up and stop pretending we’re a world elite club, we haven’t been one for a long long time. We’re nothing special right now and it’s going to take time to rebuild this mess and sacking managers after one season before he get’s to spend any real money and build his own squad is not going help us at all.

Succinct, but to the point, post.

EmeryBall doesn’t have a “stamp”. I said this after we lost to Manchester City on the opening day (albeit rather foolishly because it was early) but I’ve seen nothing to change my mind

1 Like

I don’t really get the “time” argument tbh. Liverpool themselves didn’t give Hodgson time and he started very much like Rodgers did at Liverpool.

Mourinho was given time at Manchester United and they arguably went backwards.

If Emery has a favourable run of opening ganes next season and we’re near the summit by October, fine. However, anything less than that, and there are always going to be questions

2 Likes

Also Klopp got Liverpool to the CL final in his 2nd full season at Liverpool, so they didn’t really need to give him time.

What noticeable system or identity was Klopp implementing in his first season?

The press and intensity that all his teams always have, admittedly they had a dog shit defence amongst other things so got exploited terribly at times, but I could see his vision.