What was the last film you watched?

The Gentleman 7/10
Another good gangster film from guy richie.

Just mercy 7/10
Slow in places an would have liked to seen more of Jamie foxx characters an how he copies with being wrongly sent to death row.

1 Like

Iā€™m going to see The Gentlemen tonight which Iā€™m really excited for!

I donā€™t like Charlie Hunnam at all but the rest of the cast looks amazing

How is that even possible?

1 Like

He is such a shit actor! Iā€™ve literally never enjoyed him in anything, apart from maybe King Arthur.

He just plays himself in everything and he isnā€™t even believable.

Not to mention that goddamn accent. What is he?! America, Aussie, Brit?! Some terrible mix of all three.

1 Like

Thatā€™s probably one of his worst films. He was absolutely amazing in SoA - one of my favourite shows of all time. Not to mention heā€™s a sexy bastard. Plus Pacific Rim - G Del Toro masterwork.

Youā€™re a bad person and Iā€™ve decided I donā€™t like you anymore.

1 Like

This is definitely true even though I gave Castiel a like :smile:

1 Like

I know itā€™s just TV but heā€™s great in SoA. Thought he was pretty good in Crimson Peak and Triple Frontier. Heā€™s no Leo but heā€™s far from shit.

1 Like

Those are the only two levels.

1 Like

Damn, thatā€™s true.

1 Like

He is as absolutely brilliant in Green Street. Best cockney accent since Don Cheadle in Oceanā€™s. Not quite as well honed as Dick van Duke though, but hard to reach those heights in fairneas

3 Likes

Green Street was an awesome movie. He was your son Tommy!

2 Likes

Football Factory, every time.

See you, you cunt, Iā€™ll cut you first!

4 Likes

I finally watched Captain Marvel the other dayā€¦not a fan sadly :weary:

1 Like

Just watched El Camino.
It looked and felt like an episode from Breaking Bad, which is one of the finest TV series ever, but not really worthy of being a stand alone feature film.
It also looks as if theyā€™ve left it open for a sequel, which makes it look like a money making venture.

I also watched Wolf On Wall Street which I canā€™t believe Iā€™ve not seen before.
Great directing by Scorsese and great acting from Di Caprio, neither of who make bad films.
Di Caprio is the De Niro of this era and Scorsese is the Scorsese of this era.

2 Likes

I dont like Charlie Hunnam either but he was all right to watch in this

1 Like

The Gentlemen

Just watched this tonight and I really, really enjoyed it. I actually enjoyed it a lot more than I thought I would and was very pleasantly surprised by it.

What struck me the most was how engaging it was throughout and that the pacing was spot on. I didnā€™t think there were any boring lulls or scenes that you just wanted to end. Everything had a purpose and progressed the story in a fairly uptempo way and I really appreciated the way it worked with Hugh Grantā€™s character walking the audience through the story so far, jumping between the past and the present. Even better was that it still manages to main the twists and turns in the plot until revealing them at exactly the right time.

I thoroughly enjoyed this piece as it was stylistically very typical Ritchie and the writing was great as always (although it did get quite erudite and verbose at times but thatā€™s easily forgiven), with a lot of genuine laughs and witticisms, but at the same time Richie pulls on current pop culture to make his film just a bit more up-to-date. It wasnā€™t your standard ā€œcockney geezer gangsterā€ flick like Snatch, it pulled on other sub-cultures/sub-culture gangster trends that make the film more relevant to younger generations. Iā€™m sure a lot of people wonā€™t appreciate this, but I feel like he included and laughed at grime and ā€œtop boyā€ gang culture in a way that wasnā€™t purely dissing it (while also making sure that the old boy cockney gangsters come out on top).

The acting was also a lot better than I had expected it to be. Hugh Grant and Colin Farrell absolutely stole the show for sure, their characters were the perfect mix of funny, campy and well-written while being just over-acted enough to make for some memorable roles. I also didnā€™t hate Charlie Hunnam in this for once. Actually, I thought he was pretty good in it and probably the other thing Iā€™ve ever really liked him in apart from maybe King Arthur. Matthew McConnaughey was good too, as was Jeremy Strong, but I felt like Henry Golding let his role down a bit. I just donā€™t think heā€™s a particularly convincing conniving hardman gangster - definitely more of a RomCom guy.

But yeah Colin Farrell was really ph-phucking good in this.

Also a great little shout out to Man From UNCLE and the fact that Guy Richie probably wants to do a sequel for it haha

Definite 8/10 for me!

Sorry couldnā€™t wait until Monday to post this haha

5 Likes

Cristo @ the Movies!

IMDB ainā€™t shit

1 Like

The 39 Steps (1935)

A man is followed home from a show by strange German woman, invited in she reveals she has information about a spy ring involving members of high British society. When he wakes in the morning, he finds her dead having been stabbed in the bank by unknown forces. Finding himself accused of her murder he sets out to prove his innocence and complete her work in stopping government secrets being taken out of the country for the benefit of a foreign government.

Tā€™was on the iPlayer so I watched it. Good to see some early Hitchcock, itā€™s not great great but really enjoyable thriller.

3 Likes

There was thirty nine steps to the old Royal box at the old Wembley.:sleepy:

2 Likes

Anyone seen 1917 yet? Any good?