What was the last film you watched?

True Romance was not only a good film but had a great soundtrack as well, which made it even better.

1 Like

True Romance was a great soundtrack but a shit film, letā€™s get it right.

I liked the film in spite of the ending, tbh. I donā€™t think Iā€™m being too much of a purist, itā€™s just that the change meant that the ending didnā€™t quite make sense to me. I know Dr Manhattan obliterated New York as well as other major world cities, but I still donā€™t think thatā€™s enough for the rest of the world and the USSR to forge a peace with the US when Dr Manhattan was a product of America, the guy they sent in to disintegrate entire armies and win wars like in Vietnam. It never quite rang true to me that Dr Manhattan destroying the worldā€™s major cities would have been a unifying moment, that the US would not be considered culpable.

And the thing is, I agree that it would have been hard to do the giant squid monster thing and not have it seem ludicrous. It seemed kinda ludicrous in the comics still haha. I just think you replace alien squids with a different alien threat, one that audiences unfamiliar with the source material would have had no problem getting on board with, something that wouldnā€™t look ridiculous. I would have supported them changing it, I just didnā€™t like that when they changed it they made it Dr Manhattan instead of alien squids, because I donā€™t think they had to.

1 Like

Anyone seen Once upon a Time In Hollywood, Tarentinoā€™s new one and itā€™s just on Netflix now. Very cool soundtrack from the 60ā€™s.

4 Likes

Great soundtrack, shit film

Boo you have bad taste, it was amazing.

Iā€™ll let you have that True Romance was a little wonky but Once upon a time was masterful.

3 Likes

Yo, did you see theyā€™re releasing a Batman 89 comic this summer?

It could be absolute shit, a dastardly plot to steal money off 30 to 50 year old men with too much disposable income, but Iā€™m pretty fucking hyped man

We finally get to see Billy Dee Williams as Two Face. Sorta.

1 Like

Holy fuck I havenā€™t bought a comic in my adult life but I might have to fucking break that. Like you say blatant as fuck cash grab but my God man anyone our age should be dieing for this. Thanks for letting me know.

1 Like

I think its available digitally in August, but fuck that. I think I might wait til September/October and just get the hardback compilation of all six issues. Think it was only 15 to 20 quid, not exactly an extravagant purchase either.

1 Like

Fuck yeh man I might do the same, itā€™s not expensive until it opens the floodgates of wanting to start collect comic books properly in some desperate quarter to mid life crisis haha. Ah man honestly thatā€™s so fucking cool, as flawed as it is Keatonā€™s Batman is so synonymous to the franchise for me. I think itā€™s why I loved the Arkham games so much to, you can really tell they formed Gothamā€™s image from Burtonā€™s neo gothic style and a truer sense from the comics.

Whereas I watched all of the TV show Gotham and felt absolutely nothing.

1 Like

I didnā€™t watch Gotham cos I just felt it was gonna be shit. Also, itā€™s mostly a Batman show without Batman, that isnā€™t immediately appealing. Obviously, if it was a Batman show without Batman done to the HBO True Detective level, yeah Iā€™d watch it, but Iā€™m pretty sure this ainā€™t that.

I also have to admit, Iā€™ve not seen a single Batfleck film. Nothing against him really, if heā€™d had a solo film Iā€™d have definitelt watched it, but I donā€™t really care for Superman or any of DCā€™s Justice League, and it seems that the general consensus is that none of those films are much good. So Iā€™ve just never sat down and felt that there wasnā€™t a better use of two and a half hours than watching one of them. Let alone four fucking hours to watch the Snyder cut, which is the only.one people seem to agree is actually kinda good? Whatā€™s your take, is that misguided of me?

Also, whatā€™s your take on the Tom Holland solo Spider-Man films? Iā€™m wondering whether youā€™re classing them with the average, cash grab filler MCU films or not.

And finally, tell me you love Into the Spiderverse, or we canā€™t be friends/acquaintances/people who tolerate each other

Once upon a time in Hollywood.

Thatā€™s was almost 3 hours of Tarantino wanking himself off, with numerous little bits of him wanking to the feet shots he rammed in, wasnt it?

Also I can see why so many lovers of Bruce Lee were annoyed by his representation in this film.

6/10.

1 Like

Did you get all the stuff about the Manson cult, I swear so many people Iā€™ve seen bash this film didnā€™t even seen to understand what Tarentino was doing with this film.

2 Likes

Incredible film. I loved every single minute of it.

The film is basically just a 3 hour vibe. I loved just experiencing 60s LA, what a trip. Some great acting from everyone involved as well.

Superb film!

But definitely a bit like marmite for most.

3 Likes

I didnā€™t notice the Manson family even in the film. EDIT: was that ranch Pitts character went to meant to be the Manson familyā€™s?

The acting was great and why the film doesnā€™t get a 0.

I have nothing to do with 60s Hollywood so that side of things didnā€™t appeal to me too much.

If any other writer or director served that up though, theyā€™d get panned.

Tarantino privilege running rampant.

1 Like

Batman is in Gotham heā€™s just a whiney little emo teen. The show has its moments, mainly the female cast but yeh youā€™re not missing much.

Batfleck stuff is fun man I think you might enjoy it if you have an open mind and can let a lot of Synderā€™s nonsensical parts be suspended in disbelief. Joshua pointed out a lot of the issues but for me they were a little easier to ignore because Iā€™m not super high on Superman as a character. Aquaman is amazing fun and visual spectacular- definitely try it.

Holland- I like this kid man a lot, I like his Spider-Man but I donā€™t like his inclusion in the world as much. His stand-alones arenā€™t actually too bad but Iā€™m still butt hurt over Raimiā€™s trilogy and that will always be Spider-Man to me. I wouldnā€™t include them in the cash grab category of MCU but I think they would have been better distanced from the world, thatā€™s impossible now unfortunately. Iā€™m still waiting for the perfect Peter Parker story and for me Raimiā€™s take was still my favourite. Spider-Man 2 is my favourite comic film of all time.

Havenā€™t seen Spiderverse yet, the hype train put me off a little as people weā€™re making it into something it didnā€™t need to be in regard to race and everything. Itā€™s like people donā€™t even understand that multiverse theory is literally a huge part of any comic arc be the DC or Marvel. Thereā€™s so many fun adaptions and evolutions that can be done but people on Reddit are so one track mind and everything is about over and underrepresentation.

I am going to watch it though because it looks a fun story, and Iā€™m a sucker for the multiverse switch ups, like that Soviet Superman animated movie nobody watched lol.

Bruh what

4 Likes

Yes my man, so glad Iā€™m not the only one absolutely amazing story telling. The Timmy Olyphant cameo on the Gunsmoke show, the cars, Brad Pittā€™s Bullhead Citizen watch that was actually released in 1970s. Damn everything was so stylish and cool.

@Electrifying I wonā€™t say too much but this is a story much like Inglorious Basterds in that itā€™s a retelling of an actual event in history. Margot Robbieā€™s character, Sharon Tate was a real actress killed during a sadistic house invasion in the 60s by Manson cultists, in this film they get the next door neighborā€™s and have a bad time. Itā€™s a fuck you to the real events, Tarentino had a plan and it was masterful, if a little too nuanced.

5 Likes

This

I liked the ending as well tbf.

But it was a little too on the nose in terms of self-indulgence.