What was the last film you watched?

I really enjoyed Gran Torino, thought that was brilliant.

2 Likes

When I think back to High Plains Drifter, his directorial debut in 1972, I donā€™t think heā€™s made many duds since.

(Looking back, I think Play Misty For Me might have been his first)

A succession of films at least 7 out of 10

Mystic River
Gran Torino
Changeling
Letters from Iwo Jima
Flags of our Fathers
Richard Jewell

1 Like

Invictus

1 Like

Yeah, good addition.

I didnā€™t like Hoover much. It wasnā€™t bad, but I donā€™t think Iā€™d watch it again.

1 Like

Mystic River is different class. Amazing movie.

2 Likes

The Gauntlet and J. Edgar are the only bad Clint Eastwood films Iā€™ve seen.

1 Like

Is that the one he made with his then wife (Sondra Locke)?

Yep

She was in a few others too. Better ones like The Outlaw Josey Wales and Sudden Impact.

1 Like

Greenland

Decent disaster blockbuster. 6/10

Watched Infinity War on Saturday and then Endgame on Sunday to wrap up the MCU.

I enjoyed both of them well enough, though I was a bit annoyed to see them chop off Thanosā€™ arm at the start of Endgame when I was practically screaming at the telly for them to do exactly that in Infinity War, instead of having two people struggle to yank it off while that idiot Star Lord got progressively angrier and started punching Thanos in the face, thus ruining everything and dooming half the population to death. Or Dr Strange could have conjured a portal and then closed it with Thanosā€™ gauntlet arm partially through it to remove his arm and the stones from the picture entirely, as we know this is possible due to earlier in the film when theyā€™re in New York battling Thanosā€™ henchman and we saw one lose a limb as they reached back through a portal to grab one of the heroes.

We watched on Disney+ and had the subtitles on, throughout Endgame they captioned the Hulkā€™s dialogue with ā€œSmart Hulkā€ at the start of every line and it fucking cracked me up.

We were watching the entire MCU chronologically and in order to get it done ended up skipping a few films as we were suffering from MCU fatigue, but weā€™ll likely still go back to watch Captain Marvel (gf is particularly keen so I guess its happening, but she was a bit too OP for my tastes, hence them having to explain her absence for most of Endgame, as sheā€™s so OP sheā€™d have made half the cast basically redundant), Ant Man and The Wasp and Dr Strange.

I thought Dr Strange would be pretty lame, but having seen him and his supporting cast in these two films I think its likely a fairly good film. Like every rational person in the world I love Paul Rudd, and I think the MCU is hugely improved by his presence, so Iā€™ll be going back to his solo sequel.

But most of all I wanted to finish up this storyline so I could move on to Spider-Man: Far From Home without worrying Iā€™d be missing some key info, as heā€™s by far my favourite comic book character after Batman.

3 Likes

That bit you have blurredā€¦I nearly turned the film off I was so fucked off about that!!

Correct. :+1:

1 Like

Green Book.

Awe-inspiring, heart-warming, thought-provoking.

Throw whatever superlatives you want at this charming little film, it deserves it.

Heck, I donā€™t go this crazy over films but 9/10.

5 Likes

Wonder if @Phoebica ever got round to watching it :grin:

Yeah, I did actually. I thought I had replied on here about it, but perhaps not. I enjoyed it :smiley:

2 Likes

Tony Lip, who Vigo Mortensen plays, went on to feature in The Sopranos in the recurring role of Carmine Lupertazzi.

1 Like

Now you mention it, it does ring a bell :grin: Iā€™m due another watch sometime soon.

Jingle Jangle on Netflixā€¦Terrible film, terrible singing, terrible plot lines, terrible actingā€¦

Great Christmas film, I loved itā€¦9/10

3 Likes

Iā€™m waiting impatiently for this one

2 Likes

Iā€™m a sucker for Christmas filmsā€¦They are usually quite awful, dreadful acting, really bad actors, and crappy storiesā€¦but I just love themā€¦Cannot beat a good / bad Christmas filmā€¦ :evergreen_tree: :evergreen_tree: :evergreen_tree:

Also just seen that ā€œChristmas Chronicles 2ā€ is released on Netflix on 25th Novemberā€¦Loved the first one, new one looks bloody awesomeā€¦