What are you watching?

The league table part of Eurovision is the only exciting bit lol

1 Like

Fingers cross Germany end up with 0. Dreadful song. Trash

Sweden: WHUvhiH

The public know best

1 Like

I don’t watch Eurovision with any expectations, just for the bants really. But at which point do you think the UK will say, “you know what, fuck you all, fuck coming last every year, we’re not paying for this thing any more!”

Holland takes it

I want to know why New Zealand, USA, and Canada aren’t in it.

Might as well add them too

Just finished Catch-22 on Hulu. It was pretty damn good. They did a fantastic job of capturing Heller’s unique use of language.

1 Like

Great book, and the original is one of my favourite films.

1 Like

‘Sex Education’ (Netflix)

Genuinely funny teen comedy about a teenage sex therapist, the weirdest mixture of American and English that I’ve ever seen, but it’s awkwardly genius. and it has Gillian Anderson in it. Can’t wait for the 2nd series, 8/10

‘Black Summer’ (Netflix)

Some zombie rubbish I’m being made to watch. Unlikely to get a rating

The Virtues (thanks @Stroller)

Now just switched over to live and let die on itv4

1 Like

This is very good. Not surprised

1 Like

What’s it about? :gunnersaurus:

1 Like

Bloody superheroes or dragons.

2 Likes

Dragons melting shit

I wish the accents didn’t annoy me so much.

It’s really good. The scene when the nuclear engineers were doing the interviews from their beds was horrific and fucking gnarly at the same time.

It may be trivial but during the evacuation scene in Chernobyl, the architecture of the flats took me back to Call of Duty 4: Modern Warfare. :pensive:

1 Like

It’s giving me heavy nostalgia from COD4 and standard grade physics lol.

So I googled that they said 15000 Roentgen in the show at one point. We used Sieverts and Grays so the conversion of 15000 Roentgen is 139 Sv.

Now that doesn’t sound like much but we don’t use Sv to measure radiation as that’s way too big a unit lol, we use millisieverts (mSv) instead as that’s actually relevant in terms of real world radiation and X-rays etc.

Check this out:

This shows the Chernobyl reactor core was giving off 139,000 mSv approximately, absolutely insane numbers. Ridiculous.

There’s another graph lower down with some normal levels - so a chest x-ray is 0.1 mSv, and a CT is 15 mSv, and 100 mSv is when there seems to be evidence of higher cancer risk.

So the Chernobyl dosage level was 14,000x that level, just less than 10,000 CTs and as much as 1,400,000 Xrays.

It’s crazy how close we may have been to a complete continent-wide disaster that would have rendered Eastern Europe uninhabitable for centuries. Especially considering the events of episode 2.

Edit: nah wait a minute I made a mistake with the conversion. Lol I made dumb mistakes like that all the time back then too :wenger2:

7 Likes

Post of the Year nomination right there

If you haven’t watched episode two of Chernobyl…

…the constant clicking of the dosimeters while the breathless workers kept going deeper into the cramped tunnel, combined with the absence of light is some immense filmmaking.

Gripping.

1 Like