What are you listening to right now?

Now that is a classic metal song there Luca! Been absolutely yonks since I listened to Megadeth.

2 Likes

This is why I didnt go the barbers for years.

Many metal band have gone shit after the eighties. Only Slayer has kept it up.

1 Like

John going full Frusciante.

2 Likes

Forgot I had this album on my computer, this track is a killer.

1 Like

Roddy Ricch is the man right now. He basically never disappoints

3 Likes

1 Like

Classic

1 Like

Craig David - Fill Me In

In the kitchen cooking dinner, singing along and remembering a time before my balls had dropped but I still thought this song spoke to me.

Still a banger though, love Craig

2 Likes
2 Likes

What a banger

Only for the funky people

1 Like

Checked out a fair few of their videos on youtube and have to say this is a great discovery! Love that old sounding funk/soul they got going on.

I recently got into this group. More brokenbeat/jazz influenced.

1 Like

Not my usual thing tbh but a very interesting sound. The musicianship is great and more importantly they have a female bass player- that’s pretty much always enough for me.

Not sure how much you like to geek out about music production but thought I’d shed a bit of light on a couple of things I know about their sound in case you’re interested.

Warning- if you’re ‘that’ type of person like me, digging into this shit can be a massive rabbit hole and could lead to becoming obsessed, a musician, or even worse, a drummer (musician joke there- in case you missed it!)

First of all Vulfpeck often record live and are real instrument enthusiasts- yeah they use plugins for eq and compression but instruments are real. This may sound obvious but it’s the pretty much norm to use virtual instrument plugins these days, even in pro studios. As amazing as tech can be there’s no substitute for the real thing IMO.

Perhaps equally importantly is their style of compression. Compression is massively important to their sound to the point that they ended up inventing their own ‘vinyl / tape’ compressor based on an old Boss sp-303 ‘Dr Sample.’ It’s available as a plugin and I must admit, I’ve been tempted but at $150 I’d rather stick with my rack gear (which goes up in value and requires no fucking updates!!)

I’m certainly no sound engineer so there’s probably a lot i’ve missed but it’s definitely my kind of style- simple, live recording using the right era gear with meticulous mixing/ mastering.

1 Like

Appreciate the detailed post!

I dig all of that lo-fi stuff, feels really authentic. I originally got into it via the underground Hip Hop movement and one album in particular was heavily produced with the sp-303, Madvillainy. My interest piqued in how this producer, Madlib, made these amazing beats with such limited or even broken hardware. I really wanted an sp-303 after that album.

Have you heard of Boards of Canada by any chance? What sort of music are you into? You’re quite into Prince iirc?

I spent about an hour last night going through their videos after watching that Cory Wong video. I found another track they posted about 4 years ago called Fugue State which is super lush. I especially like the soothing tracks that collab with Antwaun.

Makes me want to buy a bass again either way!

1 Like

I can get a bit carried away but I’m finding the studio stuff more and more fascinating as the years go by. IMO we’re often too focused on genres and as I learn more about production and notice finer details, I’ve picked up a sort of pick 'n mix approach to music! Spotify, youtube etc has opened up so many avenues.

Prince aside (yes- huge fan- man was a true genius) I’ve always had a thing for old blues, soul, funk etc and whilst I like plenty of rock, anything too heavy tends to stress me out. I need my music to be musical I suppose. Melody, groove and dynamics in that order maybe.

It’s interesting that you mention Hip Hop (and know the 303.) I’ve never been massively into it (with a few exceptions maybe) but found that since I’ve been producing my own music I’m often drawn to using Hip Hop drums and samples for a slightly more modern feel when mixed with clean guitar/ bass, horns and vintage keys etc.

I will definitely check out the artists you mention- cheers. Oh, and definitely get another bass- the world needs more musicians.