Upcoming Video Games

I feel like I disagree, but one of those where it can’t really be proven either way, nor does it matter either lol. Perhaps both are true, I’ve definitely seen/heard compalints about setting/tone etc, but that doesnt mean people weren’t also done with bullet time, just that I personally haven’t heard anyone saying that.

1 Like

Well the fall of a franchise is usually to do with some form of lack of innovation. R* are the masters of lack of innovation. From what I remember the game sold well but ultimately not well enough. It seemed at odds between being a Remedy style production or a R* one. Much like Resident Evil 3 could have been the end of that franchise if not for the innovation of 4 I feel like Max Payne 3 was just too much of the same in terms of one dimensional game play. The tonal shift to me felt a response to them being out of creative ideas for the game play so they just hit the aesthetic hard.

If Remedy are rebooting it then I hope they take it back to its noir style but more importantly implement a lot of their new technology. They’ve come a massive way as a company with the likes of Alan Wake and Control which aren’t just gritty dark stories but visual masterpieces with some very impressive gameplay mechanics to back up their elaborate world physics and development.

Strangely when I was playing Control last year I was thinking bank to Max Payne a lot more than Alan Wake, which is odd because the latter has literal tie ins.

Bought Control probably about a year ago in Xbox in the sale, but never got round to playing it. Probs cos i bought a cheap PS4 off SRCJJ and have since played nothing but games on that, having missed out on many years’ worth of exclusives. Assume that Control comes with your recommendation? Looks great, simply is a case of being fistracted by other things.

Also, I asked a while back, but have you played Superhot?

Alan Wake was a fantastic game, such original gameplay with the flashlight

2 Likes

I’m not usually a graphics snob but controls definitely one you might want to wait for the PS5 version, it takes advantage of the PS5 technology and adaptive controller and honestly it really adds to to immersion with amazing emphasis on Ray tracing and it’s capabilities.

No. I’ve never even heard of Super hot, I don’t recall you mentioning it, I must have missed that post. I did a quick Google, is it VR? That lifestyle too expensive for my blood and one aspect of gaming I don’t indulge in.

3 Likes

It might be available in VR too, but its just a regular game. Not that I’ve ever played a VR game, but I feel its one that probably would actually suit the format

Heres my ramblings

I think I made this post right after pissing you off about something, so at the time I felt you probably just ignored me haha. May have just been that you missed it lol

1 Like

Nah I’ve honestly never read that post before, I was probably hungover and cleared my like notifications one morning and just missed the @ in among them. Pissed off or not I’m always down to talk about gaming.

It sounds interesting I might watch a few of the VR runs off it, it seems an interesting concept, though it does seem to be tailored towards VR innovation though obviously these games are fun with a controller too. Saying that I’d love to get in to VR gaming but in terms of expense i really don’t know how often I’d genuinely be fucked to actually bother with it. Though we’re starting to get in to the territory where full games are being developed or remade for it. Resi 4 for example recently got close to a full release in total VR

1 Like

Yeah tbf I miss some notifications too, easily done when you’ve got quite a lot of them. My old phone had a smaller screen that only displayed like 10 notifications in the little drop down, if I didnt bother going to the actual notification page I’d end up missing likes, @s and replies.

Yeah, I’d say its worth a look in the sales. I got it for under a tenner I think, unless money is particularly tight Id say it provides value. I wouldn’t recommend it to everyone, but from discussions about open world games, I know you get tired of unoriginal games that adhere to all the tropes of a given genre, and therefore figured that a game that attempts to actually innovate while using the mechanics of an arguably played out genre like FPS could be of interest.

As I mentioned them briefly in that same post, have you played the Portal games?

VR is the kind of thing I’d definitely get if I was very comfortable financially, and pick it up every now and then for the novelty and variety, but sadly that isnt quite the reality for me lol. I could buy the kit, in a literal sense, but it’d be a very silly use of money. I’d definitely want to have the opportunity to try it all out first, cos Ive literally never played a VR game. I don’t know anyone who has got it.

1 Like

Haha especially when you’ve been drunk posting the night before and don’t want to read all your terrible shitty jokes over the next day in the cold light of sobriety. I just hit clear all go back to sleep.

Portal is a really weird one for me. It feels like something i should have absolutely loved because i was a massive, Steam, Valve, HL fan boy back in the day. Counter Strike 1.6 was essentially what got me into multiplayer gaming and Steam was essentially the second biggest influence on gaming for me not named after Sony. The physics in HL2 are still a watershed moment for me from the industry and it’s probably part of the reason why I hold so many companies to high standards.

So naturally you’d think I’d love everyone’s favourite Valve puzzle platformer but for some reason I bought it, gave it a few hours one morning and just never went back. I was bored and unimpressed. I can’t really explain why, I’ve even in the last year or so tried to watch a few play through a on YouTube and while it’s certainly charming it’s still just a little lost on me.

I can’t really explain why but I think it’s because i spent so much time on modded CS source and HL servers, like the mod community was absolutely next level in that genre and stuff like Gary’s Mod to this day probably hasn’t been beaten in terms of innovation for me. So essentially i was wondering why I was paying for this game when custom servers and mods were already providing this type of experience for free.

If you have 5 minutes I recommend you watch this video that pretty much explains why Garry’s Mod and HL is the funniest shit known to gaming. You’ve maybe seen this dude before but he essentially exploits the mechanics of these games till this day and trolls people in these little GTA style world servers.

They’re all ducking the Elden year.

We’re grateful to all of you who joined Kratos and Atreus on their journey

Hits different since I learned Kratos is a nonce.

1 Like

What?!

Edit: @JakeyBoy The MOCAP actor is a nonce. Christopher Judge who is the voice actor and the real Kratos is not.

Thankfully. I’ve been watching Christopher Judge since I was like 7 years old so that almost ruined my day lol

1 Like

Wait, what’s the story here?

300m sounds like a bargain.

1 Like

Looking forward to playing it in 2042

4 Likes

Oooh interesting - Miami setting will be fun

1 Like

Isn’t Miami literally just Vice City in game? Lol

4 Likes

Yeah I’m sure that’s why they said fictional Miami - I loved that vice city vibe, can’t wait for it to come back

1 Like

Why not just “based in Vice City” then. Sounds like they’re trying to make it sound like they’ve created a whole new setting when I doubt they have