Unai Emery

Ironically, the only club where players can’t say they weren’t given a fair chance, is when they played for us, under Wenger :wink:

Expecting Emery to pull his face mask off to reveal he’s Mourinho any minute now. I’d take Arteta as manager right now.

Walcott, Denilson, Iwobi, Welbz didn’t get enough chances for you IDB10?

I think the ten seasons Wenger gave Walcott was just about enough for him to realise he wasn’t quite good enough.
That’s the great thing about Wenger, he didn’t like to rush into making decisions.

4 Likes

Thats one hell of an assessment of this manager and team right now. Thats as bleak and worrying as it gets.
This club needs to reinvent itself top to bottom pretty quick and become relevant again as soon as.

4 Likes

I’m totally on board with giving Emery until the end of next season to see how this relationship is going but it’s becoming increasingly concerning that we literally don’t look like we have any clue what we’re doing out there. The attacking play, which seemed refreshingly direct at the start of the season has become lethargic and predictable. The defensive play remains an absolute shambles and persisting with 3 at the back is choosing to be a disastrous decision. The only thing that’s evident is that we have a manager who likes his full backs to overlap and be a fundamental attacking outlet and that seems to be at the expense of our actual creative players.

It’s been said before but Emery isn’t of that ilk that he’ll be afforded to much breathing space. Arsenal fans were incredibly patient with Wenger for years because of the glory he bought us and Emery unfortunately won’t be afforded that.

Either way if it ends up being the wrong decision to hire him then it happens. The transition was never going to be an easy one but the squad is certainly better than losing to BATE.

6 Likes

If Emery is given significant funds in the summer ( big if I know) it will be really interesting to see what sort of players he goes for.

Obviously has issues with the language and where getting nothing out of these press conferences because of it.
Think this needs looking at by the club. Thin k at the moment its starting to look a bit convenient to hide behind.
Pocch had a translator at Southampton on most tv showings and think it needs doing here now.

We’ve all been saying this for a long while now Stroller. We’ve lost our identity and the tradition what made this club even to the point of the Club Captain choosing the shirt sleeve length. All gone now . What honest progress has been made since the move to the Emirates? More riches for the board ?
Sad and bleak .

1 Like

We lost to some swedish farmers last season, tbh.

If we somehow don’t go through I’ll be expecting my official member’s card for the Emery Out club in the post.

Still giving him til the end if the season generally, but if I am honest, I’m starting to have very serious doubts and deep in my heart, I’m not at all sure this is going to work out.

He’s got a lot to prove in the next couple months. Agree with @SRCJJ, at first there seemed to be some signs of a style of play, we were nice and direct and looked pretty threatening generally, but thats all gone to shit and I have no idea what it is that Emery is actually trying to do these days.

1 Like

Emery can fuck off, I never wanted him when Wenger was let go but in the hope of a new beginning I warped my mind to accept him.

We didn’t even attempt to build a new team in summer so it’s no surprise this season has been about as depressing as possible. So yeh Emery out, let’s bring in the next guy we don’t give any money to build a team with.

Even if we bring in someone new in summer its going to be same story without financial backing.

Though what does annoy me about Emery is he seems to double down on our shit players by playing the shittest formations possible.

2 Likes

Yes, yes my boys… Let the Bumery Out Brigade begin. :henry2:

This would be a risk I don’t want to take. He’s done nothing to deserve it, I think it’s best if we just cut ties with him ASAP and start again with someone with proper ideas.

1 Like

I wanted Rodgers over him.

Even if the defence was shit at least the attack would be lit.

Rodgers in!

My Norn Iron allegiances don’t apply to Rodgers because he manages Celtic and Liverpool which are essentially the same team and that’s gross.

2 Likes

I feel (and hope) that Sanllehi really wanted Enrique but this shite club were in denial about what needed to be done.

Maybe now he’s in full control, the address book will be opened again.

Fuck a free season, if the football is this dire and we’re not in the CL next season then Emery needs to get marched.

Do the ‘its not his team’ merchants really believe Arsenal can’t be beating BATE borisov without having Emery’s ideal players?

7 Likes

Depends who is available but we don’t want to turn into Turnstile FC either.

I think we’ve got to suck it up for 2 seasons. We’ve made our decision and we have a 2 season window (or Emery does) to rectify this club to something of a challenging team again.

If people really think Raul is going to hand the keys over to Emery for transfers, then I feel you’re being short-sighted. I think Sanllehi has put himself into a position that ultimately caters to the manager but also has a controlling hand in what he believes Arsenal need. This team isn’t going to be brimming with runners and cloggers. Emery will have input into the type of players he wants however the butt lies with Raul and I believe he will want to play a significant role in big signings in the future.

That doesn’t excuse the matter of that game last night, which was turgid, disjointed and resembled nothing to the kind of team Emery set us up as in the beginning of the season.

We’re done with long standing managers now, we have the power to cut them loose after giving them the benefit of the doubt. We’re not going to be suffering long pangs of frustration like we experienced with Arsene’s latter years. I think it’s only right to give decisions some time even if the going gets tough for a short while.

1 Like

This thread…i give up.

https://twitter.com/Riddock__/status/1096138917714292736

:arteta:

4 Likes