Unai Emery

You’ve done it again pal lol

4 Likes

But if he ever wants to manage a big club again he can’t be content with that. He’s as much of a reclamation project as the club is!

1 Like

Yeah that’s just my feeling about him, it doesn’t help when we have a board and ownership content with 4th place so they aren’t going to exactly push him either.

He simply cant be judged till he has a couple of transfer windows. Nobody is doing anything inheriting this squad.

5 Likes

He’d wanna demand a fair bit of coin from the board this summer, defence needs 100 million quid investment for a start.

This, just waiting until he has an ideal team built under his vision (that includes him approving of the right signings), right now he’s using a squad built under another manager’s vision, a manager that was here a long time…

1 Like

We probably have the 6th best squad in the league so being in 5th and fighting for a top 4 place is about what we could have expected. Hopefully Emery brings his own players in and we can play more like a team he expects us to be.

It’s unfair to judge him too harshly at this stage. That doesn’t mean he’s immune to criticism because he’s done plenty wrong but he deserves a few transfer windows to mould this squad before we can really judge his abilities.

9 Likes

@JakeyBoy maybe @Calum is using a very specific turn of phrase? Maybe “taking a peter” actually means something? Maybe it’s when a bunch of guys named Pete come around and scream nasty things at you?

Any manager will be demanding money for that defence. Id just be curious too know here which manager we didnt get ,would people think would be doing a better job and how.

Well we all know how I wanted Klopp in 2015 but obviously that’s not relevant to the summer just gone.

Other managers I preferred over Emery that moved in the recent or may have been obtainable were Tuchel, Sarri, Nagelsmann & Jardim.

Okay, but the question was would they do better and how with this squad.

Impossible to know but I doubt it, I just have more faith in those 4 managers vision going forward to build a contender more so than Emery.

I will concede not many managers in the world would be doing much better than 38 points from 19 games with the squad we currently have at our disposal.

2 Likes

Crux of the matter for me is how much influence he can have on signings. There has been change in the last eighteen months here. It now depends how much more is going too happen and how fast.
Now more than ever this is going too be the main influence on our future.

1 Like

Can we review and judge the new manager in a longer time span?

Not just 6 months with one single transfer window, but how about 3 years 6 transfer windows?

No need to be that emotional and panic after a couple of “bad” games in just 2 weeks, really.

2 Likes

You must be new here. :arteta:

6 Likes

This is the exact reason I’m being patient

1 Like

Anyone know the length on contract Unai signed ? Was it 3 years ?

2 and an option for a 3rd year I believe

1 Like

Option for us or for Unai ? If it’s the former it would be interesting to no what sort of result is required to trigger the 3rd season.

That sounds about right… really need 2 full years to see what is going on and whether there is a proper trajectory and direction or not.

1 Like