Unai Emery

I’d take ugly but successful football any day of the week :slight_smile:

1 Like

Just the fact he gives instructions from the bench makes him better than Wenger.

First thoughts are very mixed at this stage. Not been happy with most of lineups so far, which I feel is adding to disjointed performances.

I’d agree with this. Persisting with Ramsey at 10, Mustafi in the squad, Auba and Ozil on the wings as well as giving Guendouzi so much game time haven’t really been particularly good decision making in my opinion.

3 Likes

We’ve kinda been used to keepers having the game of their lives every time they play us, so kinda the inverse, playing shit but still managing to score has been a good feeling.

1 Like

I really hope he pairs Holding & Sokratis against Fulham

3 Likes

5 league wins on the bounce is a fantastic run but we’ve definitely had some luck along the way. Our lack of midfield control in so many of those matches is a big concern.

Iwobi gives this side so much more balance and hope Emery decides to drop Ramsey. I still think the best we’ve played this season in an attacking sense was that match against Chelsea, especially the first half when we carved them open and created a bunch of clear cut chances.

Defensively we are still very open but I’ll reserve judgement for a little while longer given the mediocrity of our personnel.

All in all, I’m happy but still hoping for further improvement and the manager deserves patience.

1 Like

I think you’re overestimating his influence. Arsenal defensive weaknesses came into existence long before Bould was assistant manager, the turning point was the 09/10 season, and it’s not something that he is going to fix either.

Not sure what to make of him. We’ve been far from convincing in any of games and the problems still seen to persist. However, it’s just reached October and he deserves so much more time so I really don’t want to form any definitive opinions about him yet

We have to give him credits just for the fact he knows how to change a game from the bench. Wenger couldn’t do it.

1 Like

Well, Wenger in the past few years couldn’t, but I don’t want to cloud my judgement about what he did before. As some have mentioned, what Wenger did the past few years shouldn’t be the benchmark.

Certainly though Emery has been left a good awful defence. That will take a while to change.

7 wins on the bounce and these are the feelings. God help us if he dropped any points in that period lol.

He’s been a breath of fresh air, exactly what we needed. Numerous players have praised his training methods thus far. Some of our players have definitely picked up some weight too.

Lots of positives to be taken so far. Will need a couple more transfer window till he can begin to be judged but he’s made a positive start which cant be denied.

7 Likes

A lot of comments in here about Emery needing transfer windows to set up the squad but how much control will he actually have over the transfer business? Isn’t that more of a Raul thing at this point?

Raul (and Sven also) will obviously communicate with Emery and give him input, otherwise there would no point in even having them if they aren’t going to get us what the manager needs. Emery will surely give them suggestions about what he wants and they’ll do what they can and also look for players themselves. It’s a team of people working together.

Fair question. He is just our head coach, not the manager. Big difference.

Of course Emery will identify which areas need strengthening. He’s with the squad daily and should know everything about his squad. It would be absurd to have no input from Unai regarding what he needs.

6 Likes

Last year* as far as results go. Let’s not forget Wenger got 75 points in 16/17. That would be a very decent first season for Emery. Regardless if that means getting top four or not. If would mean he would have gotten very close at least.

One of the reasons that Emery was selected was his willingness to work with the head coach - director scheme that has been dominating football the past years. Give him the players and he’ll do something with them. Surely if Raul and co. trust Unai, they WILL hear him out. Txiki and Pep have a fantastic communication with results to prove it. Their documentary really showed as much too.

The way I’ve always understood the director role to work is that the manager comes to the director and advises them on the type of players they require and what particular positions need strengthening and the DoF and his team act upon that.

2 Likes

That’s how it should work. But a DoF is also responsible for long term planning so I do think they also have their own list of players who they think is/will be good.