Unai Emery

I will be personally.

Goals and great football were something we had in abundance but we had no defensive nous or backbone. Scoring by passing out via the defenders is the same as scoring by not a goal is a goal. But defensively we were awful and truth be told we still look the same.

5 years ago…

Really impressed how he’s made great use of Iwobi and Welbeck, two names I’d have welcomed the back off at the end of summer.

4 Likes

We are riding our luck results wise in the league and that can’t last forever.

I do see some encouraging signs. It’s not quite clicking on offense and we’re prone to bad errors on defense but at least we have a shape and a plan. I think we’ll improve as players better understand the system.

1 Like

Would you want him to try to play two banks of four? He inherited a roster that was a mess in terms of age profile, skill set and contract lengths. I expect the team will do something with CB in January unless Rob Holding really steps up to the plate.

I don’t really know how Emery is supposed to stop Mustafi from panicking or making bad decisions short of benching him.

Is no one else but me considering that the common denominator is Bould? The first thing I thought concerning our defence when Big W left is that if things look the same a few months from now I’m gonna start looking at Bouldy. And I think we do look kind of the same. Bouldy was the ass Manager, he is an old defender and a coach.

Wenger, though he explained he built a team from the back (like a house, foundation first), I still consider a midfield coach if I had to pick one team part, and one who is heavier on the attacking philosophy than anything else in his coaching game.

We have changed a bit in the details of how we place our defensive line even higher than before when in possession, full backs come in narrower more often when we are turtling up for example, we have switched a bit in how we go from zone to man to zone marking in turtle mode as well (you see how different midfielders pop out to close down whoever has the ball in a pattern we didn’t use to show), but besides tactical structuring which I always think is down to the manager, the individual basic defending philosophy… still kind of looks the same. Mustafi still looks the same.

the only unit that does not look the same is the goal keepers. And Emery brought his own GK coaches IIRC.

Nope.

And even in the last five seasons there have been great goals both individual and team. Never ever under Wenger did i doubt his attacking ideology would get goals and stylish football to boot.

And pundits and fans always said the same, great going forward but in defence… Phew did we stink. In the same way the repeating defensive frailties never made me doubt another collapse was round the corner.

So no stats goals wise last season or season before dont drop vs 5 years ago nor did the stylish attacking football.

we were we shit attacking last season. stats dont tell the full story here…

1 Like

No. If we had been we would have been at the bottom of the league as we were shit defensively.

We were awful to watch last season :+1:

2 Likes

I agree and would go further. More than last season. There is nothing worse than watching us score or come from behind only to know the winner or equaliser is coming.

Its like being hungry at having a juicy pork chop dangled in front of you only to be snatched away at the last moment…

And to be brutal watching todays game it could easily have been 2-0 Waterford. West Ham, Newcastle, Cardiff and even Volgibobido Planax or whatever there called split us open right at the end like knife through watery jelly.

Sqeaky bum time is very much here to stay based on the first ten but as they say Rome was not built in a Day so I dont want to gripe on Emery yet. Plus you can see the effort and we have put in and have deserved our luck in many cases I think based on this.

If im being honest as well there has been a few 45 mins (especially first half’s) where we have looked awful going forward. Devoid of purpose and lacking any creativity so who knows but hell yeah i agree with you.

2 Likes

He’s doing ok but really needs to get more from quality players such as Auba and Ozil.

1 Like

He dropped an 8/10 performance yesterday imo.

2 Likes

Probably should have taken the goals part out in fairness. It really was the great football part I was talking about.

You added the comma :joy:
For a second I got fooled

By not playing him and getting defenders in.
Holding should be playing ahead of him once other defenders get fit.

1 Like

Of course I can only speak for myself, but I’m totally undecided. What I’ve seen so far is basically par for the course. I saw the fixture list and thought that we/he were very unlucky to get the previous two seasons’ champions in our first two games. We lost both and that’d about what I expected.

Since then we’ve had a run of favourable fixtures that taken individually, we should expect to win all of. But based on last season I guess I should credit Emery somewhat, because despite a spring six fixture run of wins, generally you couldn’t count on Arsenal to put a few wins together for fuck. Especially if you consider our embarrassing and frankly shameful away record last year. Winning at Newcastle was a fucking breath of fresh air. But despite that I am reluctant to use last season as a measuring stick for Emery because it really was an anomaly for Wenger, it was by far his worst domestic campaign ever. And we should be expecting more from our new manager than to merely better Wenger’s worst ever season.

So yeah, overall I’m totally undecided on Emery, I’ve seen nothing so far to make me feel some kind of way.

Generally speaking I basically felt like whoever became our manager they deserved a healthy grace period. So far he’s literally matched my basic expectations and his honeymoon period isn’t close to being over yet as far as I’m concerned, so I’m fairly happy with what I’ve seen.

5 Likes

I’ll judge Emery after a couple more transfer windows, because he gives me the impression of someone who is far more ruthless than Wenger.

3 Likes

Our football hasn’t been great but the guy is a winner. We can win ugly now

1 Like

I’m not quite at the stage where I think he’s definitely the right man for the job, but I am feeling more positive about him than I was when he was first appointed. I like how he isn’t allergic to substitutes before the 70th minutes and how his subs often change games. Wenger got into a habit of bringing on the same players regardless of if they were what the game needed.

Our football is still ugly though, but it’s early days so we’ll see.

2 Likes