Unai Emery

Like the fact he makes early changes to try to win the games, but he still needs to find his best XI.

16 Likes

I think there’s an element of seniority, letting players who used to star when he took over lose their spot and train the new ones meanwhile rather than just carte blanche the squad completely on day one.

There is still plenty of work to be done with the squad and tactics obv. And winning while we do it feels great.

3 Likes

He changes things round and is unpredictable.
That’s good enough for me until he gets a chance to get his own players in.

I think we’re all in agreement that he can get it right more from the start, but once he sees the match unfold in front of him he reacts extremely well and quickly.

His biggest strength so far was Wenger’s greatest weakness.

2 Likes

Absolutely. I also love how he talks about football. He is so clear he loves what he does.

Manager of the month for sure, right?

What’s the general vibe like from the fans in general on Unai? Obviously it’s early days but I really do like what we have so far. It’s refreshing and exciting to have something new to look forward to each week and not the same tired crap we had year on year with Wenger. Is there a Unai chant of any sorts at matches yet? There ought to be!

Shame there’s not much he can do about the defence right now but if he can cure that part our team when it comes to the next transfer window or two, then damn we’ve got ourselves a very solid team going forwards.

If we’d managed to score that 3rd goal against Chelsea instead of them, we’d have an almost perfect start, which is really bad not going at all. I’m really looking forward to seeing how we’ll fair when we have our next ‘big fixture’ to see if the team has improved from the first two matches now things are starting to get a bit more settled under the new regime.

1 Like

As per my vibes, he is a good transition manager.

Transition to what or whom if I may ask? Any manager capable of making Arsenal progress is surely worthy of the position long-term, as long as he’s making progress (i.e. improving results/league position etc year on year).

Better manager or players wouldn’t have wanted to come to Arsenal this summer, given the state we were in, unless given money over the market prices. So I’d say as long as Unai delivers, there’s no point in changing him.

3 Likes

Yeah I think phrases like “transition manager” are useless in an era where even the best managers only stay 4-5 years at a club if they’ve done a good job. Every manager is a transition manager nowadays.

If he keeps us moving ahead then he stays, simple as

There are some exceptions to the rule, though.

Take Kloppy at Liverpool. If they continue to play as they are, continue to get champions league football there, then he has a job for a good number of years. It’s all about when/if he wants to leave, which I can’t see happening any time soon.

A tetchy, trigger-happy board isn’t good for any one long-term

I’m pretty happy with what we’ve done with the defense that we have.

Good guy. Like his tenure a lot so far

Way too early to judge.

But he got them running like buggers and the likes of Wellbeck, Guzzi, Iwobi, Licht, Holding look like they can add to the first team. I give him a 7/10 so far. 8 is a bit of a stretch when we look so clueless in defence but he has done ok. Not changed in thinking he can do top 4.

You are serious?

How could he not be? Were you expecting better results than what we’ve been getting with our defense?

We have really done nothing with the defence. I see no change no improvement in that department.
Personnel are shit but Emery has not done anything to suppress their shittiness either.

I think his point was that considering who we have, this is the best we can hope for so far and I agree

Emery (with Sven and Raul) will address that in January and in the summer I’m sure

Read it again.

2 Likes

Exactly lol