Unai Emery

Lol that’s such a Fifa approach. I actually really agreed with your post prior to that though

1 Like

Guys, let’s face it: we can’t sort some out problems until we buy new players.

1 Like

Yeah it is… but we need a winger badly and Ramsey is out the door anyway and doesn’t fit our needs it seems. Regardless, we should be able to afford a top winger without selling anyone anyway.

Another positive is that we are winning and only 1 point from 4th place despite starting the season with two losses… and we are 2 points ahead of Moaninho, which is glorious.

Keeping rolling 3 points against these crap teams and we will be in top 4 in a couple of weeks.

That makes no sense though

Laca is executing extremely well in the middle for us right now, and Auba has the pace and has proved he can come in and score. He isn’t perfect on the wing but Laca in the middle and Auba out wide is better overall than the opposite.

1 Like

So happy with Unai. Win or lose, what a fresh breath of air for the Club.

So much, for those slating him after two of the hardest games to start the season with.

3 Likes

I agree about the defensive mistakes but I get the feeling this Del Bosque-esque type of build up game is a bit misunderstood. It’s really about retaining possession as much as possible and play the ball around until the opposition makes a mistake and the opportunity arises to take advantage of that. I know it may seem boring and dysfunctional, but playing this way acquires patience and waiting for the right opportunity. I don’t think we are as bad going forward, obviously there is room for improvement.

Yeah but we aren’t exploiting or finding mistakes against pretty poor defensive teams… we just aren’t creating much, and worse, we are losing the ball cheaply in dumb situations, causing undue pressure and counters that we aren’t handling well. Maybe we don’t have the personnel or whatever, but it isn’t working right now.

We had periods like this under Wenger too when we reverted to more “possession-based” football, and I remember very good times and bad times when we did that… this feels more like those “bad times” frankly.

Obviously there is a lot of room for improvement still. Our transition defense also has to be better, but that is what I was getting at with the defense mistakes.

Either Emery has spend a lot of time in order too better his English or his base level was already higher than people claiming before btw.

To be fair, one way to look at this year is transition, sorting, and consolidation back to top 4… if we get top 4 and Emery figures out who is long-term going to stay, who is going, and how the pieces fit and where we need to augment next stage, that is probably a reasonable way to look at it… if things are ugly this year on the way, that is maybe just part of “the process,” but from my ignorant perch, it doesn’t fill me with confidence so far.

But to be clear, I am fully invested in giving this time - by end of next summer, we will know a LOT more and should have a significantly improved squad if we do things right.

1 Like

All this consolidation, is it even worth it if we are doing it with players who won’t be here in coming seasons?
We should not waste so many minutes on players like Mustafi, Xhaka, Welbeck, Ramsey and divulge more minutes to alternatives or should have bought in few more youngsters to get the hang of the system.

Right now the minutes are wasted on the players listed.

1 Like

I’d forgotten what it was like to win 6 games in a row, so credit to Unai for that

9 Likes

King Unai getting his grip on the team. Big things ahead :unai:

1 Like

To be honest we had many seasons under Wenger in the last 10 years we had good runs in September/ October vs non top 6 opposition.

1 Like

trust you to put a negative slant on things

2 Likes

It’s interesting you say that, Oz. I can’t recall the last time we went on a 5 game winning streak under Wenger

Back in March 2018 (just under 7 months ago :slight_smile:
2-0 win against AC Milan
3-0 win against Watford
3-1 win against AC Milan
3-0 win against Stoke
4-1 win against CSKA Moscow
3-2 win against Southampton

4 Likes

Oh and those are only Europa League and Premierleague Fixtures. No carling cup or whatever it’s called now.

No point getting caught up in it all, it’s great we have been been winning but our weaknesses are still as clear as an Australian summer day.

1 Like

Not sold on his Starting XI selections, but some very good in-game management and half-time adaptions has grinded us some wins, this is essential for cup competitions.

All things considered, it’s a good start so far for the new man.

9 Likes