Unai Emery

5 Likes

Road to Baku! :azerbaijan:

1 Like

To be honest I think the last two matches we basically conceded cause we thought the game was over and we stopped trying.

Not exactly the best mitigation but still.

2 Likes

The thing is ruthless sides that care hate to concede at any time, regardless of the game scoreline.

1 Like

Need work and a couple of signings. Wenger has left us in the mess at the back.

Did the team not care? How do you know that?

Best manager in the world atm. Beautiful wife too. If it wasnt for my love for King Unai the great i would absolutely drop my wurst on that.

3 Likes

I actually feel a bit better about him too, than I did when he was announced.

Remains to be seen how he will sort out the defence with transfers etc but early signs with the way he’s been trying to get us to play are really good.

I won’t shut up about it until it happens as I think it’s crucial to how Unai wants us to play, though, is that WENEEDAFUCKINGWINGER

3 Likes

I saw someone else post about this, but I feel like Iwobi and Mkhitaryan are actually effective in this set-up and maybe we don’t need an actual winger, but Aubameyang and Ozil just can’t find any footing as wingers in the way we play.

agreed, but unfortunately they’re the bench options, seemingly, as, as you say we are instead fitting square pegs into round holes in that position.

My point was more that Iwobi and Mkhitaryan aren’t actual wingers either, but are still (reasonably) effective within the system.

Yeah but as you said they fit the role much better than the guys that are ahead of them in the team at that position.

Feel like we agree but are just arguing over semantics here

1 Like

Probably. I want to see somebody like Bailey for the excitement those type of players bring, but for this systeem to be more effective we might not need such a type. Emery does need to figure out how to get more out of Aubamayang and Ozil.

2 Likes

Fair play, Unai. Recovered after a very tough start.

We’re still far from perfect, but it’s all about the points and we’re picking them up, home and away.

3 Likes

It says a lot that we’re grinding out results even when we’re not at our best yet. Wenger was no longer able to get that from a team, we generally had to play well to win

2 Likes

Thats the positive spin, which I don’t disagree with… the worrying thing is that we are shockingly dysfunctional going forward (despite our 2 goals today against a poor Everton side) and also combine that with braindead defending at times (giving away at least 2 clear breakaways today). We were fortunate and it will catch up to us if we don’t play more functional football soon.

5 Likes

Pretty much I’ve been thinking. The fact that we have to play both £100m strikers for any kind of offensive potency is worrying too.

Forward line is dysfunctional and it stems from a lack of proper wingers and poor line up choices from Emery

2 Likes

We should go get Bailey in Jan… sell a couple of players including Ramsey to fund and pay the rest we need.

1 Like

honestly just subbing Laca for Auba would do so much.

Please keep Auba as the striker and Laca on the wing if you must.