UEFA Conference League

Looking at halving the teams in the current format of the Europa League might not be such a bad thing. Obviously I hope whatever name they officially use will be better than Europa League 2 though.

So pointless then really. Although taking all the shit teams out the Europa will be good although hopefully we won’t need it!

Will teams be able to drop from the Europa League into Europa League 2 if they finish in 3rd place in their original Europa League group?

They really need to get rid of that rule by the way. It’s so dumb that a UCL team could finish miles behind two other teams in its group and get rewarded with a place in the Europa League knockout rounds and potentially a route back into the Champions League if they win the tournament.

Huge fan of this idea. 32 team Europa League instantly becomes more prestigious and also more manageable for clubs in the competition.

2 Likes

The new competition and Europa League will have the same format - eight groups of four teams with the winners going into the last 16. There will be a play-off before that round for the teams who finish second in the group and sides who finish third in the groups of the higher tournament.

Looks like it.

At least it gives you a reason to win your group as an EL team, but I really can’t see anyone from any of the bigger leagues giving any kind of shit about literally a third rate European competition.

I think the EL is a pointless competition anyway but if you’re going to have it I can’t see any reason not to have another tier below it.

I’d rather they changed it to be more success-focused though, e.g. opening it up to make sure that the Maltese champions always get to play some European football, even if it’s only against the Armenian champions, but opening it up so that the likes of the 8th best team in England get to play those teams - I don’t really see the point of that.

They might as well restructure the ‘Champions’ League and make it for actual trophy winners(League and Cup).
Put all the 2nds, 3rds, 4ths or whatever to Europa League and you get both competitions meaning a hell of a lot more.

1 Like

The Europa Conference League :gabriel:

1 Like

:arteta: why have they made it sound like a worse Europa League imagine that even being possible?!

1 Like

The league winners from every country will still enter the Champions League, but only clubs from the top 15 ranked nations will go into the Europa League.

Therefore, teams from Scotland, Wales and Northern Ireland risk going into the Europa Conference League instead.

:speak_no_evil:

This is better for your Hibs, Aberdeen’s etc as they might get to stay in Europe longer don’t see why your shocked lol

Staying in Europe is a load of shit unless it’s worth a lot of money. Which this won’t be.

Every fan wants trips away in Europe

Sure. Been on a few myself. There’s some proper fucking poxes of journeys to be had in the 15-50 bracket though and it’s not worth it if the club can’t make money out of the endeavour and actually progress.

1 Like

Great. A new intertoto cup. Just what we need.

And more distance between the haves and have-nots

2 Likes

exactly how I see it.

1 Like

Question because I didn’t bother to read the article… is winning this Intertoto Conference Europa Liga gonna give the winner a bye to the Champions League group stage? If not… good luck with this, UEFA.

1 Like

To the Europa

1 Like

As if the smaller clubs don’t already have enough problems generating income, they now ave to fork out for their teams to play random nobodies all over the continent.

This is just UEFA saying fuck you to all the smaller and weaker leagues, financially.

So just as i thought we could enjoy a season out of the european farmers league UEFA have created this new disgusting third competetion so we can play teams from Faroe Islands and Andorra to waist our time.

All i want is CL or nothing. Is that too much to ask for?

1 Like