UEFA Nations League

No. Type the word anyway or GTFO.

VVD will win it because he’s getting all the hype and won the CL, it’s a circus award though, Messi should be winning it. VVD had a great season, but in no way was it superior to Messi’s season.

1 Like

Why not though. Ones a defender who has played well in his position and brought a lot of leadership and confidence to that side.
Messi though still great is always going to out perform him as forward player with skill. Going to be very hard for a defender or keeper based on this rationale.
To many great defenders and keepers never get a chance of this trophy at times.

I love VVD and his absolutely fantastic, if Messi wasn’t so unbelievable having 50 + goals and 20 + assist seasons I’d have no problem with VVD winning it. Messi shouldn’t be judged at a harsher standard because of who he is though, he’s still simply the best player in the world IMO.

1 Like

For me VvD deserves it. Messi just won La Liga doing his usual thing. VvD was incredible this season and won the CL.

Its margins for me this though as Messi numbers are what wins him it. A defender can never match that but id say and its not being critical on Messi that the influence on his team was bigger this season by VVD.

I think Messi’s influence was huge also, that Barca team is nothing special under Valverde only reason they walked La Liga was because of Messi’s influence.

VVD was mammoth though also, I laughed at all the fans that laughed at Liverpool when they spend 75 million on him in Jan 2018.

1 Like

We’ll see what happens in Copa America. Messi needs to bring his A game in the tourney if he wants to be in the discussion imo.

Messi is producing numbers we may not see again for generations and he’s doing it on a yearly basis.

He’s still the best goalscorer and best play maker in the world and shouldn’t be judged on his teams inability to win trophies.

Messi should win and should have won it for essentially most of his career because he’s been the best player in the world nearly every single one of the last 10 or so seasons.

3 Likes

I’m with you man, what VVD has done is pretty darn awesome but Messi shouldn’t be shortchanged because his excellence is practically standard.

He’s been the best player in the world hands down, whereas VVD may be the best defender.

IMO Messi doesn’t get appreciated enough because he’s made it look so effortless, only when he’s gone will it be clear just what he’s doing.

7 Likes

Exactly. VVD has had a great individual season but the reality is as good as anyone can be the season will always pale in comparison to a man who’s contributing to 70+ goals a season. Those are frankly ridiculous numbers.

3 Likes

How many Ballon D’Ors do you think small dick Valverde has robbed Messi of?

2 for 2 surely?

Heres were I disagree with you. I see the trophy as the best performing player in the world for the year.
Id say VVD is that player this year for both club and country, and would be my choice. At the same time I have no issue with him getting it and acknowledging Messi as the best player in the world.
I can see some would see that as a contradiction but just my take on it.

I think most of us do, it’s just that lots of us think that player was clearly Messi haha.

I can’t get too worked up about it if he doesn’t get it. Firstly, because I’m not a Barcelona fan, so why should I? Lol

But secondly, and more importantly, because it doesn’t matter anyway. Messi’s record simply speaks for itself, at this stage we don’t need an award to tell us who the best living player is. Watch a few of his matches and check his stats, that’s all you need to know.

I’m not a big fan of individual awards in a team sport to begin with but the B d’or has lost a lot of appeal as it’s just a spot check of who’s reaching slightly better unbelievable numbers between Messi and Ronaldo. Once they retire it will probably be more interesting but it’s always going to favour goal scorers which is boring af.

1 Like

The individual awards in plenty of sports have lost their meaning. It’s more than just stats. A similar argument is had every season regarding the NBA and other pro sports. The best player in the world at the time isn’t necessarily the most valuable player and the best most important player that season. I know it’s not an MVP award, but I do think that should play a part, and it can’t always be strikers.

1 Like

If that was the case why did he pledge for him?

The reality is that no matter how good a season anybody has when there’s a player posting stats like Messi and producing God like performances on a regular basis - there isn’t really an argument to be had to be honest.

Nobody else produces performances that can compare.

2 Likes

When Messi is gone and no one is producing 50 + goal & 20 + assist seasons then I have no issue with a defender winning it, basically people are just bored of Messi because he’s been stupidly dominant for so long.

4 Likes

Its really not about being bored. For me its about the level of improvement another player has brought to his side.
Everybody who likes football admires Messi, but its not a crime to think somebody else is worthy of a mention.
Some will see the greatest ever and some wont. To be in the conversation is as much as any player can wish as its not definitive.

1 Like